Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hi, I'm North, and I am in need of assistance.

Hey guys. Semi newbie hammock camper here.
    I am thinking of a whole new hammock setup and I would like opinions. If you think there are better options, i'm all ears.

I camp most in dry, high Utah.

Dutch half wit hexon 1.6 (don't know what the weight limit is)

HG incubator and burrow 20*

Unsure of which dutch suspension systems are the the best??? Are the whoopie hooks enough of a waterbreak?

I need a tarp but I don't want it to be heavy and don't know how well cuben fiber holds up. The tadpole tarp on dutch's website seems nice, but I know nothing about it.

I also have no clue about ridgelines. If I got a fixed ridgeline, what pro's and con's are there?

Trying to keep it light. What do you guys think?

Hammock
    TTTM
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon camo
    Insulation
    DDUQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps, WS
    Images
    Greetings North, and welcome.

I don't have any experience with the very popular Dutch bling, so I can't offer help on your suspension system. I use a cinch-buckle/tree-strap system myself and am very happy with the ease of adjustability it offers.

A number of folks are using cuben and seem very happy with it - I think it's still more expensive than many others (including myself) would like though, so silnylon (and it's DIY variety found here by Joe Brewer, another member on the forum) appears to be the most popular choice of tarp fabric.

I also use a fixed ridgeline, and its biggest disadvantage could be in catching yourself on it getting in and out of your hammock. This is by far outweighed by the fact that having one means your dialled hang-angle is consistent every time, saving a lot of fiddling every time you have new trees to hang from - they aren't considerate enough to remain a set distance from each other

No doubt others will have different views and offer other opinions, but this is the place to learn from - there is a huge wealth of knowledge in this very helpful forum.

Good luck and happy hanging.
    Living, learning, and loving both.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Dutch Bridge Hooks
    Half wit in hexon, with silpoly tarp. Use woopie slings and hooks for Suspension.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Dutch Bridge Hooks
    You can probably save a little weight in choice of quilt too

Quote Originally Posted by packeteer View Post
    You can probably save a little weight in choice of quilt too
    What other quilt do you suggest? It needs to be pretty true to temp rating because I am a pretty warm sleeper

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Dutch Bridge Hooks
    Zpacks is probably the lightest, but I prefer the Underground Quilts stuff

Hammock
    11ft
    Tarp
    DIY or Bullfrog
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bug
    If you do your research, you'll find many, including myself, who race about the tadpole tarp. It is a super tarp, and Wilderness Logics, the manufacturer also makes add on door kits, and pole mod kit to add to the usability. I used mind for all 4 seasons with never any issue about how big it was, or whether I had sufficient coverage.

As for insulation, I too am a warm sleeper, and in the shoulder seasons, and warmer months I'll usually go with lighter coverage. In the colder months though, I do appreciate good lower temp ratings. I don't have any experience with the hammockgear brand, but have read many good things from other users. I recommend checking out Loco Libre Gear. He makes some innovative quilts, that are quite unique.

When it comes to suspension, whoopie slings, with whoopie hooks are a flare at start. The whoopie hooks will certainly perform the task as a water break. The low weight, ease of setup, and adjustability from a whoopie hook suspension is hard to beat.

And finally, yes to a structural ridgeline. I believe the half-wit comes with one already fixed to the hammock to hold up the bug net.

Try things out, see what works, and hang your own hang. But of course, the HammockForums community is always here to help you along the way.

I think 20 degree quilts from any of the regularly mentioned vendors is a great choice. You can probably go a long time, maybe forever, before you feel the need for any additional quilts.

I like having at least one all-strap suspension and I like have the suspension detachable for a number of reasons. I'm liking my (Dutch's!) Cinch Bugs these days. Also, the strap suspension from WB seems pretty popular but isn't easily detachable without modification.

If the suspension IS detachable, there will almost certainly be something that works pretty well for a water break. including WHs, But note that Derek Hansen's vid shows that you probably want to add a drip line to almost any suspension.
    Last edited by TominMN; 12-14-2015 at 09:17.

I have the tadpole and it is definitely lightweight and offers pretty decent coverage. You can always add the pole mod and doors if you want more versatility.

As for suspensions. I have one that uses shorter poly tree straps (they're kind of like 1" mule tape) that I use with whoopie slings (with whoopie hooks). That weighs in at 3.5oz. I also have (2) 12.5 foot 1" poly webbing straps with Dutch buckles. Those weigh in at 5.6oz. 2 oz won't kill you. They both work equally well.

Ridge line. If you're talking on the hammock I would make an adjustable one (same as a whoopie sling) so you can adjust to get a good lay. And if you're talking about a ridge line for your tarp. Many people use a continuous ridge line made of lash it or zing it with a soft shackle prusik. It's very light. The ultimate light weight would be about 10 feet of zing-it on either end of the tarp with some Dutch flyz

If you don't plan to do any crazy cold weather stuff look for a 3/4 length UQ rather than a full, especially if you sleep warm

HYOH. I appreciate your lightweight endeavors

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I think there's no reason not to get the cuben tarp other than cost. I don't think the hooks are enough of a break. I like a webbing suspension, and the buckles are a good break. Get a fixed ridgeline so that you don't have to fool with the sag. Its set at what is supposed to be ideal for the length of your hammock. An adjustable RL allows you to dial it in according to your personal preference, but for now, I think its more than you want to deal with. Definitely get a ridgeline, though. Allows you to gauge how level you've setup, hang stuff from it, etc. Can be used to help ensure your UQ stays close on the hammock sides.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast