Hammeck Envy S
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 0Burrow/Incubtr
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Envy s zipper and cover opening

I saw a video of a new zipper for the envy s with the zipper opening from the foot end on one side and the head on the other. Is this now the standard? Do enough people have them now to get some opinions on whether they are easy to reach from inside both to get in and out and to open to reach an under quilt?

Also, from the videos and pictures it appears that the net is positioned above maybe the shoulders to the feet. So, with the cover opened to fully expose the net, can you see out when you look up or is the cover over your head?

Hammock
    11ft
    Tarp
    DIY or Bullfrog
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bug
    I have a new Envy with the new zipper opening. I really like the simplicity of only have one to deal with the two zipper pulls. I haven't found that there is any trouble with reaching the foot end zipper when in the hammock, and the head end zipper is within reach just above the head on the side opposite your head. I really like the ease of switching from the cover to the bug net with this simple zipper design.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    I have an Envy-S with zipper openings near where the side pull-outs are. One opening on each side of the hammock. Mine was custom, but I wouldn't do it any other way. I don't like having to reach up to the head or foot end to open the top cover or net. I very often open up just to grab something on the ground next to me, to adjust my UQ on both sides, or just to high five someone.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy S
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 0Burrow/Incubtr
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the response. Something you said leads me to another question. It appeared on the video that you unzip from the foot end, sit in the hammock and lean back, putting your head on the opposite side, then pull your feet in which would be towards where that zipper started. So, a right lay with head to left of RL and feet right. The video even states it would be more difficult to have to change positions to switch your head to the side you entered. But it sounds like that is how your setup is when you state that the zipper is on the opposite side of your head. Do I read that right? I want to make sure I understand correctly so I get it right. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Uphill View Post
    I have a new Envy with the new zipper opening. I really like the simplicity of only have one to deal with the two zipper pulls. I haven't found that there is any trouble with reaching the foot end zipper when in the hammock, and the head end zipper is within reach just above the head on the side opposite your head. I really like the ease of switching from the cover to the bug net with this simple zipper design.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy S
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 0Burrow/Incubtr
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hey Mychal, I know you put a lot of thought into this so I appreciate your input. Is your zipper similar to the "new" zipper configuration now being used but with a little lower starting point? If so, do you have plenty of room to enter/exit with that starting point? I would not be interested at all if I couldn't open both sides and I really like the idea of being able to reach the ground easily as well and also not to have to reach way up farther than necessary to reach the zippers.

Also, what is different about your side pullouts? Are they in a different place than the standard ones and/or do they function differently in anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by mychal View Post
    I have an Envy-S with zipper openings near where the side pull-outs are. One opening on each side of the hammock. Mine was custom, but I wouldn't do it any other way. I don't like having to reach up to the head or foot end to open the top cover or net. I very often open up just to grab something on the ground next to me, to adjust my UQ on both sides, or just to high five someone.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Paul View Post
    Hey Mychal, I know you put a lot of thought into this so I appreciate your input. Is your zipper similar to the "new" zipper configuration now being used but with a little lower starting point? If so, do you have plenty of room to enter/exit with that starting point? I would not be interested at all if I couldn't open both sides and I really like the idea of being able to reach the ground easily as well and also not to have to reach way up farther than necessary to reach the zippers.

Also, what is different about your side pullouts? Are they in a different place than the standard ones and/or do they function differently in anyway?
    I'm afraid I'm not sure how the current, standard zippers work.

Mine is actually 2 zippers that each go halfway around the hammock, and overlap reach other a bit, so they seal against bugs. Each zipper starts near my shoulder or elbow (or knee, depending on which side we're talking about. There are two pulls on each zipper, and when they are closed, the pulls are on opposite ends of each zipper. That means that when the cover is closed, one pull from each zipper is present one each side. When I want to open up to reach or get out/in, the zippers separate entirely, all the way to the other side of the hammock.

So the opening is as big or as small as you want it to be.

My side pulls are in the standard location. One is at the shoulder, and one is at the opposite knee. I did request one customization to the side pulls, but I think it's unrelated to your question. I asked for the grosgrain to be sewn in a v-shape, in the theory I read here on the forums, that it might slightly improve how smoothly the zipper moves past the "corner" of the top cover. I'm not sure it did anything, but I can tell you that the zipper moves very smoothly all around the hammock.

Finally, and with all that said, I'd point out that my hammock was built just before Dutch and Kyle came out with their fancy separating zippers. If we did my hammock over, the Meck's might suggest one of those zippers, instead.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Here is a link to my review. It's probably got a picture of the pull out customization, because it has pictures of pretty much everything else about the hammock.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...d.php?t=113452

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Thanks for the response. Something you said leads me to another question. It appeared on the video that you unzip from the foot end, sit in the hammock and lean back, putting your head on the opposite side, then pull your feet in which would be towards where that zipper started. So, a right lay with head to left of RL and feet right. The video even states it would be more difficult to have to change positions to switch your head to the side you entered. But it sounds like that is how your setup is when you state that the zipper is on the opposite side of your head. Do I read that right? I want to make sure I understand correctly so I get it right. Thanks.

Hey Captain, David here, I'll try to help answer some of your questions...

First of all, the new zipper configuration in that video is indeed standard now. Bear in mind that there are two zippers, so there is an opening on each side. I'm going to try to paint a word picture. Imagine, if you will, that one side of the hammock is your foot side (the side where the pullout for your feet is), and the other is the head side. Also imagine that the hammock has two ends, the head and foot end. With that being the case, there are four quadrants of the hammock, the head-end-head-side, the head-end-foot-side, the foot-end-foot-side, and the foot-end-head-side. Does that make sense? Hopefully it does, so I will continue. So, with that being the case, when the zipper is closed, the zipper pulls will be located at the head-end-foot-side and the foot-end-head-side. Basically, they're on the exact opposite placement as the pullouts. As such, this means that, in a right lay hammock, one slider will be at your right shoulder (when closed), and the other will be at your left ankle/shin (when closed). This is standard. The placement of the zipper pull (when closed) is approximately 15 inches from the end triangle. I would not position this any closer to the center, as you run the risk of damaging the hammock. Bear in mind that the zipper is closed just above that point when you open the zipper to enter/exit, so your body weight on the edge of the fabric would put stress on the zipper. We carefully chose the placement to maximize ease of use and also decrease risk of damage. If, however, you want to reverse the quadrants that the zippers end in, please just let us know. We have done that by request, as well.

Mychal's Envy-S was heavily customized, so the zippers we used on it were very cool. We actually used two (2) two-way separating zippers. Think about a jacket that has a slider at the top and bottom when the jacket is zipped. This allowed us to have an opening on both sides of the hammock, and the opening is in the middle. When Mychal wants to enter/exit, he has to move two of the sliders towards each end of the hammock. We can certainly do this, as well, but I ask that you contact us ([email protected]) about custom pricing.

If you have any other questions directly for me, please also use the address above. We try to check here frequently, but we've been crazy busy of late, so we've neglected to check for questions. We'll be much quicker to respond via email.

Thanks!
    David
    Hammeck - Hammocks, stands, and accessories, made by the Meck family.

Like us on Facebook!

Hammock
    11ft
    Tarp
    DIY or Bullfrog
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bug
    That was very astute of you to pick that up. After reading your reply, I realize I am thinking of it backwards. The zipper pulls are located at the side pullouts. When I get in, I sit at the head end, and lay with head at the other zipper. I was all mixed up trying to visualize it without looking at the actual hammock.

What I was trying to get across still holds true though. I haven't noticed any trouble reaching the zippers once I'm in the hammock. I like the simplicity of only two zippers, one at each end.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Uphill View Post
    That was very astute of you to pick that up. After reading your reply, I realize I am thinking of it backwards. The zipper pulls are located at the side pullouts. When I get in, I sit at the head end, and lay with head at the other zipper. I was all mixed up trying to visualize it without looking at the actual hammock.

What I was trying to get across still holds true though. I haven't noticed any trouble reaching the zippers once I'm in the hammock. I like the simplicity of only two zippers, one at each end.
    I just assumed you were more limber than me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast