SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

How some hangers spoil it for the rest of us - how NOT to hang in the Grand Canyon

Can you believe this dude? Took this picture last week at Bright Angel campground in the Grand Canyon. Park rules strictly forbid tieing *anything* to trees in the corridor campsites, plus this guy goes and bends the pack hanger in the campsite and still ends up on the ground. I wish I had met the idiot that pitched this hammock, but he wasn't around when I snapped this pic. People like this wreck it for the rest of us that practice proper hanging etiquette.
    IMG_3482.jpg
    Last edited by OutandBack; 12-24-2015 at 15:18. Reason: expletive not family friendly
    My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: Youtube

My BackpackGearTest reviews: Reviews

If you have an HH, then you should read my SuperShelter review: HH Super Shelter

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    Yeah that's bs. I've always respected the rules of the campground...well I've snuck alcohol. I guess I can't judge after all. But I agree that we should do our best to represent hangers, especially since we are fighting for hanging rights and more opportunities.
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Ugg that's disappointing to see.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Downy goodness
    Suspension
    webbing
    Did you report the hose packer that did this? Be easy enough to find out who it was for them by permit issued. It's not too late to do so if you haven't.

Hammock
    10' DIY 1.0Hyper D
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*+2TQ/0*+2UQ
    Suspension
    CinchBugs/ Whoops
    With hammocking really starting to become more mainstream I would expect to see this kind of nonsense more often. The best we can do is "coach" (i.e. smack 'em upside the head) them on the proper way to hang and lead by example.

Hammock
    WBBB/DutchHex1.6
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40/20/0
    Suspension
    WhoopDutchHookTogg
    A well worded note left on his hammock explaining your perspective might have been constructive.
    I doubt it though. Most people are pretty self centered and unable to take any criticism. Too bad cutting his suspension is against the law. "You are the weakest link", snip snip...
    “Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
    ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Airman's Odyssey

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Custom silnylon
    Insulation
    Down UQ, d.i.y TQ
    Suspension
    LoopAlien
    Is that all his stuff strewn about too?

I know i can spread my gear out, but on a shared campsite it should be kept tidy

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Email that picture to park officials with a date and time stamp. Post that pic everywhere on the net you can that has to do with the Canyon.

If we can't educate this hanger, at least effect his/her wallet.

Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kthompson View Post
    Did you report the hose packer that did this? Be easy enough to find out who it was for them by permit issued. It's not too late to do so if you haven't.
    This was at Bright Angel, pretty much the only campground in the Canyon where the rangers come around every day to check your permit. He was most likely detected.

Quote Originally Posted by Clockw3rk View Post
    A well worded note left on his hammock explaining your perspective might have been constructive.
    I doubt it though. Most people are pretty self centered and unable to take any criticism. Too bad cutting his suspension is against the law. "You are the weakest link", snip snip...
    I thought about that, but had neither pen nor paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunndog View Post
    Is that all his stuff strewn about too?
    I know i can spread my gear out, but on a shared campsite it should be kept tidy
    Yep, this camper was a piece of work.

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Email that picture to park officials with a date and time stamp. Post that pic everywhere on the net you can that has to do with the Canyon. If we can't educate this hanger, at least effect his/her wallet.
    To my knowledge, there is no fine for doing this. The rangers just make you detach from the trees if found.

I was camping in the same place a year ago, and instead of my tent I had my trusty AHE Shangri-La Tarp for a shelter. I attached it to the rock wall behind the campsite on one end, and tied the other to the picnic table. When the ranger stopped by to check my permit he thanked me for following the regs.
    My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: Youtube

My BackpackGearTest reviews: Reviews

If you have an HH, then you should read my SuperShelter review: HH Super Shelter

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    How to handle this is a touchy subject. Whenever my friends and I have tried to "educate" someone about their bad behavior, it has not gone well. They usually are defensive and sometimes downright feisty. I have seen some near fights on river trips where we tried to educate people about their bad or even dangerous behavior. Reporting them to the managing agency so that they can track them down and do the educating seems like the best way to go. The downside to that is it brands hammockers in general as irresponsible. Pretty much like dogs being banned from an area because a small percentage of their owners don't clean up after them.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast