Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    I think I would have "borrowed" his hiking boot liners...

Hammock
    WBBBXLC or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY CSUQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    This type of behavior is always frustrating. I am always hesitant to bring my dog on any camping/hiking trips because there is ALWAYS someone with a dog or two or three who refuses to keep it on a leash, despite a reg requring it almost every city/town/ country/park in the country.

Their typical respnse is "my dog is fine..I don't need to keep her on a leash." No...your dog is not a special snowflake. It is a few evolutionary steps from a wild animaland could very easily become aggressive towards me or my (always leashed) pup.

Same attitude applies to this kind of behavior.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    ^ Thank you!!!!!!

looking at the pic it appears that they were laying on the ground. I wonder if the pole bend when they first entered the hammock, or sometime during the night.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by scoffman View Post
    looking at the pic it appears that they were laying on the ground. I wonder if the pole bend when they first entered the hammock, or sometime during the night.

Having personally wiggled most of the poles in the CG when we were there I would think it was almost instantaneous when they hopped into the hammock. A lot of them were loose and moved several inches with just a pull/push. When we went we had to be very picky at Indian Gardens...the half way campsite on the Bright Angle trail... as the poles and sites that were recommended to us were no good and moved a lot. Our group of 4 had to pick 2 sites side by side rather than the group site we were told to use as we would have bent and or pulled the poles right out of the ground had we used them.

For those interested here is my trip report on our hike to the GC a few years ago: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...t=grand+canyon

As I state in the report, and in this thread hammocks and the GC are not really compatible and should not be used. We spent months working out the details and getting special permission for our trip.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Hennessy Jungle Expedition Zip
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Thanks for the report. This is a great report and will allow the wife and I to review it again before we head out that way. Unfortunately it will be a couple years at least.

Hammock
    WBBB/DutchHex1.6
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40/20/0
    Suspension
    WhoopDutchHookTogg
    This is sad, and indeed this is serious.
    But I will have you all know that through an intensive investigative approach I have identified the mysteriouly inept "Unidentified Ahole Hanger".
    His name is...

RICK JAMES BEEOTCH.
    He resides at...
    !@#% YOUR COUCH BLVD. (wiping and kicking boots)

This dude is legend!!!
    Wait till he joins HF and stumbles onto this thread!
    Legend!
    “Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
    ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Airman's Odyssey

Hammock
    Clark Mark 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Clockw3rk View Post
    A well worded note left on his hammock explaining your perspective might have been constructive.
    I doubt it though. Most people are pretty self centered and unable to take any criticism. Too bad cutting his suspension is against the law. "You are the weakest link", snip snip...
    The problem with your suggestion is your not an official. I make an effort to follow rules, but if some stranger came up to me or left a note saying I did something wrong, I would be very aggravated. Why? Because your a stranger, and for all I know, your wrong. It's also easy to be taken as you being nosey and whatever else. Reporting it probably works best.

Not picking on you in particular, just quoting your post. I worked in Crater lake NP and various forest service parks and know it's better to let the rangers handle it. People expect that stuff from rangers. They don't expect or want correction from strangers most of the time. It doesn't make them bad people, they just see it as a negative experience when your out there trying to make positive experiences.

Hammock
    WBBB/DutchHex1.6
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40/20/0
    Suspension
    WhoopDutchHookTogg
    Quote Originally Posted by NWNomad View Post
    The problem with your suggestion is your not an official. I make an effort to follow rules, but if some stranger came up to me or left a note saying I did something wrong, I would be very aggravated. Why? Because your a stranger, and for all I know, your wrong. It's also easy to be taken as you being nosey and whatever else. Reporting it probably works best.

Not picking on you in particular, just quoting your post. I worked in Crater lake NP and various forest service parks and know it's better to let the rangers handle it. People expect that stuff from rangers. They don't expect or want correction from strangers most of the time. It doesn't make them bad people, they just see it as a negative experience when your out there trying to make positive experiences.
    I can appreciate that.However I never recommended confronting him personally, and if he became a little agitated at a constructive criticism left as a note, well, so be it!
    And think about it, unless the ranger is an avid hanger, he isn't going to educate him on correct hanging etiquette, just on park policy. And then the park official is going to walk away possibly with a bad impression of hammocking in general. Isn't it our duty as enlightened veterans to educate newcomers in an intelligent way?
    I have learned from people/strangers about etiquette regarding many different pasttimes. Fishing, golf, skateboarding, surfing, etc. There are rules that are followed so everyone gets a chance, and no one ruins it for everyone else.

Also may I pointout that you giving me advice on my post in this forum actually goes against the very advice you are giving?
    I don't really know you, and while you have a background in forest service I imagine you didn't work at the campground in question. Nor do you moderate this site!
    See what I mean?
    Not picking on you, just responding to your post. Thank you for the constructive criticism.
    Regardless I think we can both agree that SOMEONE should educate this guy, before he does any more damage to the collective outlook of our shared pasttime.
    “Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
    ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Airman's Odyssey

Hammock
    Clark Mark 2
    Can I withdraw my post? It's too late isn't it. Darn.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast