Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    There is one other thing to consider. Only one of the buries in a CL truly needs to be of the recommended length for the CL to be adequately strong. That means that the other can be a bit shorter and a smaller CL is possible.
    Hmmm...This sounds right. I guess the second bury would be a back up if the first one slipped but it would not add any strength to the loop. But except as a back up the second bury would only have to long enough to tuck the tail.
    Others with more knowledge about these things can set me straight on this if I'm wrong.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LLG Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The "lock" allows you to bury both sides.... Otherwise you would have one side running through the inside of the other, but that other side would just stay outside and, without it having a point to pull, it would not constrict and it would just slide apart.... It would also leave the end exposed and it would fray...
    This is the reason you need the same bury on both sides, it's to create the pulling effect that constricts the rope

Clockw3rk, it's not a new or improved CL. I was questioning one or two steps since we seem to "undo" those steps. If you've used Obie's instructions on this forum, or Ian's instructions on YouTube you're fine.
    I'm just a newbie questioning some things; TominMN gave me a great reply.

Solohammock, you'd still be burying both sides, nothing is left exposed. There is no lock if you wind up feeding it back into the same hole. If you look at 6:50 of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcoKeXAwBZY and you'll see what I mean. And, I cannot pull apart my CL's as hard as I try.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jucee View Post
    And, I cannot pull apart my CL's as hard as I try.
    There isn't a problem when there is tension, the bury does it's job. It's when the CL isn't under tension that it can loosen, say like when it's bouncing around in your pack... The stitches are added to prevent this slipping.

Here's another video explaining the process and the locking at the end: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5CZzAo0IxE

Quote Originally Posted by pop78 View Post
    There isn't a problem when there is tension, the bury does it's job. It's when the CL isn't under tension that it can loosen, say like when it's bouncing around in your pack... The stitches are added to prevent this slipping.

Here's another video explaining the process and the locking at the end: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5CZzAo0IxE
    Too much stitching, especially considering that the buries were not really heavily milked. All you need is a stitch or two where the buries begin. I'm not sure I've ever seen stitching on an eye splice that has a locked Brummel... Also, the tapers in that CL should be longer!
    Last edited by TominMN; 12-17-2015 at 13:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Jucee View Post
    Yeah, on my very first CL, after making the pass thru I found that it just pulls apart. On my very last CL I didn't bother with the pass thru and used a small piece of heat shrink (idea came from my new Blackbird).
    Again, I like Ian's measurement formulas to at least arrive at the total length of cordage required.
    Thanks TominMN. Dutch may be in store for some new Amsteel orders.
    That WB heat shrink has pass-throughs under it! I think the heat shrink is plenty adequate all on its own. I like heat shrink; it's a nice look.

The other thing about those pesky pass-throughs is that they form a lump in the loop. Who needs lumpy?

BTW, you're quite welcome.

(I can hearing Dutch thanking me for helping with the marketing of Amsteel!)

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    The point is... In the video he does a pass-through then puts the bury back in the same hole, negating the pass-through. If you want a pass-through as a 'lock' then it can't go back through the same hole. The bury must start a few braids beyond the pass-through, which is he actually warns against and probably derates the loop.

Samson recommends the direct bury method with lock stitches.

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LLG Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ya I realized you still meant burying just the tail when I read it again... The problem is still that you have to have the friction created from a decent amount of tail being buried in order to get the friction needed to pull the end and get the rope to constrict...

Countrybois, thanks, that was my original point when starting this Post.
    To others... I use a small piece of shrink tubing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast