Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images

Tarp talk: Superfly vs. Winter Dream

I was recently looking for one of these two and found a good deal in here for a superfly. I was looking at both the superfly and the winter dream and was wondering what the difference is? They seem made of the same stuff, although UGQ offers other materials and colors for the winter dream tarp. Is there a difference? Is one better than the other? I still may get a winter dream tarp in silpoly in one of the schnazzy colors they offer. I've just been curious about this for a while.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I own a Superfly but no Winter Dream, so I can only compare the specs. However, in my experience the specs won't tell you everything you might like to know. For example I own the Warbonnet Edge and the Wilderness Logics Tadpole. On paper these tarps look very similar:

WB Edge
    Color: Olive brown/Digital Camo
    Weight: 11.25 oz.
    Ridgeline length: 132"
    Width: 94”
    Fabric: 1.1oz/30D 2000mm NeverMist™ Silnylon
    Price: $95/$120

WL Tadpole
    Color: Various
    Weight: 11.5 oz. (RL 132") / 12.5 oz. (144")
    Ridgeline length: 132" / 144"
    Width: 92"
    Fabric: Double Coated Silicone ripstop Nylon
    Price: $95/$110 (w/o mods)

However, apart from build-differences (e.g. WB - D-ring tie-outs, WL - webbing tie-outs), the coverage differs more than you would expect. I recently hung both tarps above each other, and the Tadpole tapers quite a bit more than the Edge. I can't say if it makes a difference in everyday use, but seeing that the weight is comparable, I prefer the Edge.

The Superfly and the Winter Dream differ even more on paper:

WB Superfly
    Item weight: 19 oz.
    Ridgeline Length: 132"
    Width: 120"
    Fabric: 1.1oz/30D 2000mm NeverMist™ Silnylon
    Price: $140

Winter Dream 11
    Item weight: 19.1 / 19.7 oz.
    Ridgeline Length: 132"
    Width: 116"
    Fabric: Sil/PU coated 20d Ripstop Nylon / DELUXE version using a super low stretch Sil/PU coated 20d Ripstop Polyester
    Price: $149.95 / $164.95

It would be interesting to see both tarps hung above each other, but on paper the SF looks larger and lighter. On the other hand, the Winter Dream can be ordered in different fabrics and way more colors.

If coverage, weight and price are important to you, go with the Superfly.
    If fabric, color and custom mods are important to you, go with the Winter Dream.

Hammock
    DIY Robic 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    UGQ/DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie/straps
    Images
    I have a Winter Dream and I like the fact that the doors have snaps and can be snapped shut when needed. The snaps are plastic so they do not add much weight but they seem to hold well. I also like the fact that the edges of the tarp are trimmed with grossgrain which you can get in different colors. This seems to give the tarp a tighter edge than I have seen on the Superfly when staked out.

I can ad pictures of my Winter Dream later if needed.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoutmaster1056 View Post
    I have a Winter Dream and I like the fact that the doors have snaps and can be snapped shut when needed. The snaps are plastic so they do not add much weight but they seem to hold well. I also like the fact that the edges of the tarp are trimmed with grossgrain which you can get in different colors. This seems to give the tarp a tighter edge than I have seen on the Superfly when staked out.

I can ad pictures of my Winter Dream later if needed.
    i'd appreciate the pics. i didn't know it had snaps on the doors. that's a plus i think. thanks! i've tried looking it up online, but there isn't a lot out there on the winter dream, but tons of videos on the SF.
    Last edited by JmBoh; 12-21-2015 at 12:47.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

I too would like to see pics. I actually had this exact question going through my mind today. I was all set to order a Superfly sometime in the next several weeks, then I saw the Winter Dream. I like the option of numerous colors, but I'd like to see some pics in the field.

Also, how do the doors compare? It looks like the SF doors overlap, but the WD has a snap included. Any other pros/cons about the doors? What about leaving them open? Do either have a slick system?

I really like the idea of the silpoly but would like to hear from more people who have used it.

I've been wishing for a thread about this and never got around to starting it.

I'm all ears, er, uh, I mean eyes.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Yikes, snaps! They probably hold better in nasty winds which can be a great benefit if needed. Otherwise, sounds like a ripped tarp waiting to happen, IMO. I use just a spot of velcro on my doors and have not had an issue, but really haven't been through anything nasty either.

As hutzelbein described, the Warbonnet tarps tend to be cut less aggressively. This means you have a little more material per the dimensions as compared to another tarp with similar dimension cut more aggressively. This is somewhat surprising given that WB has among the lightest tarps of this design. Thus, and given the price point, its why the Superfly is consistently recommended. You know, the Honda CRV is highly recommended, but I can't stand it. (apologies to those I'm offending) And I don't mean that as a cut to the Superfly at all, but it does mean that there can be value in other designs, dependent upon where you place that value in importance.

The more aggressive the tarp cuts, the easier it is to get a taut pitch. This makes it a little more resistant to gusts, and quieter as well. From what I can see, the Winter Dream falls somewhere between the Superfly and my Toxaway in terms of the cat cuts - my Tox being on the extreme side. I know that Brandon says to crank down his tarps and perhaps that's his method of getting it more taut. IMO that puts a little more pressure on your stakes. What's worth saying as a retort to that comment, is that there are plenty of folks out there loving their Superfly's and using them without issue.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Without seeing them up and close, it's hard to tell that the Winter Dream is "more aggressively cut". Other than the width being 4 inches shorter (2" on each side), I'm not sure I see what you mean.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    What's worth saying as a retort to that comment, is that there are plenty of folks out there loving their Superfly's and using them without issue.
    Yep and I'd be one of them. I don't have any experience with a Winter Dream, but I have plenty with the Superfly. Snaps-not needed and a gimmick adding cost. Grosgrain edging- not needed and another gimmick adding cost and weight. The cat cuts on the Superfly are fine. If you cut the cats too much, you lose coverage. I'm sure the WD is well made, but I guarantee it won't keep you any dryer and I believe it is more expensive. Brandon has them all beat, cost wise and design with the Superfly IMHO. To me every other tarp with doors was and is being modeled after the Superfly. As they say, though, hang your own hang. I recently did a video of my Superfly, if you want to check it out.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...setup-amp-tips
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Tarp talk: Superfly vs. Winter Dream

Things that are different aren't necessarily a gimmick. If snaps work for one, they are an innovation. Grosgrain does add weight, but also strength and reinforcement.
    Was the move from canvas to "parachute" nylon a gimmick? Or from pads and bags to TQ/UQ? I think dyneema cordage is innovative, but those who like paracord might disagree.

I do love autocorrect!
    Keith

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast