Grand Trunk Single
    Tarp
    diy hex
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    webbing 10.5ft

Despite the warnings... Para Suspension

So I'm new to the forum have been hammock camping for a few years and decided to check some stuff out on here. I see a lot of people on here talking about their paracord suspension snapping on them. I haven't been able to see any pictures of peoples paracord setup that has broken but I assume they use just one strand thinking it will hold them as it is "550 cord" I have been using a setup on my grand trunk nano 7 that includes paracord for my suspension . in took a 30 ft strand cut it in half and then took those two and folded them exactly in half. I tied knots in each folded over cord all the way down every 6 inches using the same method the grand trunk single hammock suspension that you get with it is tied. I weigh 148lbs and had my 200lb roommate sloth hang from my nano in my room on my anchors to test it out when I made it. It did stretch under us but not enough to set us both down. Bouncing jumping. Grabbing the side of the hammock and flipping yourself into it is no problem. whilst using this setup overnight and in the woods even when wet I've never had even a close encounter with being lowered to the ground. I make sure the sheathes are in good shape and I use sticks to cut down on some of the trees stress. Maybe I set my hammock up relatively higher than most(usually high enough that I have to jump a decent bit) but for those warning people away from it, it can be done. I used the nylon straps as a saftey but I never needed them for the year and a half I've had mine. Mostly setup in my room but used 8-10 hours of the day
    uploadfromtaptalk1450722757703.jpg

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    It's not the snapping or failure under use, it's more the stretching and predetermined nature to wick and soak up a ton of H2O. For those snipping grams from their pack weight, it's also on the heavy side compared to other cordage more suited to our applications.

It's not the P-cord's fault, rather how and what it's made out of, and it was designed to not be a static cordage.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Old timers here all used paracord.
    But it is not the best...any more!
    Science/technology has created better line.
    Use your paracord (many do still..for bracelets.) but as Rolloff mentioned, it will streeeetch under load and wick rainwater down to your hammock.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Any rope wrapped around the tree like you have pictured is also frowned upon. The growth layer of the tree is right below the bark and can be compressed and killed by weight girdling it. We use webbing straps (preferably polyester as it does not stretch unlike the nylon) to spread the load over a larger surface area. We do this as much to preserve the lives of the trees we depend on to hang as to show good stewardship to land managers that can and have restricted or denied our use. The better foot we put forward with land managers the more likely we will to not have restrictions put on hammock camping as a whole.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB/DutchHex1.6
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40/20/0
    Suspension
    WhoopDutchHookTogg
    Amsteel is King. This is coming from an ex army 550 lover with a 1000' spool sitting right next to me.
    The results are in. They have been checked. Lighter, stronger, more UV stable, and hydrophobic.
    Embrace the New School.
    550 lbs is not much of a window for error, not to mention every knot you tie is seriously cutting that number.
    Hey, at least we still have 90 mph tape (also known as gaffers tape) that stuff rocks! Blows duct tape outta the water! 4-5X the cost though...
    Any body want to buy 50 ft of black 550 cheap?

Edit: def use 1" or 2" straps. Nobody is mad atcha when you don't know, but once you know...
    Love those trees man! They accommodate the dangle! Leave the smaller trees alone as well. Check Shugs videos on suspension for the quickest fix.
    Have fun.
    Last edited by Clockw3rk; 12-21-2015 at 14:35.
    “Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
    ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Airman's Odyssey

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    para is a great stocking stuffer for a pack. that is; it's good in a pinch for whatever. it's cheap and easy to work.

i always carry a bit with me. i'll use it to field-rig something. but it is nowhere to be found in my suspension, or on my tarps. i would use para if one of my dominant pieces broke or failed. but really, that's not going to happen. more likely to be lost, but very improbable that it breaks.

i have about 2000 feet of it setting around in various spools. it's handy stuff for sure but for our main rigging the guys have said it; there's better, better, and better..

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Why would you use the incremental fixed loop design made of anything (Looks like you did that with the strap as well?) when you can have the continuously variable amsteel whoopie sling? Same for cinch buckles if using straps.

Please tell me you were only referring to not needing straps inside.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Yeah, "it can be done," just like there's an extremely small minority of people who use Zing-It for whoopies slings. Doesn't make it smart, doesn't make it advisable, and it is certainly not best practice.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream13
    Insulation
    UGQ Zep/BanditXL
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    You could also add a ridge line. It will spread the weight out a bit. In one of Shug's videos he actually ripped his hammock after he took his ridge line off. As for the tree straps go you don't need anything fancy just some 2" webbing. Tie a bowline on one end to run around the tree then through the eye. Then use a Marlin spike hitch to connect your cord. I highly recommend doing a search online for some amsteel rope. With amsteel you shouldn't have to get 1/8", that would be overkill for ya. With amsteel you could bury the cord in itself and make it adjustable as well. You can catch videos on YouTube.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    DD Hammocks 3mX3m
    Insulation
    DD Hammocks UQ
    I would be interested in hearing your results.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast