Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Whipping Techniques

I've been experimenting with different whipping techniques, and integrating suspension into the whipping itself. I know about the HH technique, and wanted something a little simpler. One that I've been using with some success has been similar to a Sailor's Whipping

http://www.animatedknots.com/sailors...matedknots.com

but instead of cutting the lines at the center, I have an overhand knot underneath the whipping itself, and the two ends then have a bowline knot at the ends one to attach the ringbuckle/webbing for the supports, and the other to attach the removable ridgeline. I simply larkshead the loop and then have a stopper knot (double overhand) on the ridgeline.

I'll see if I can get a picture up at some point of the knot I'm using at the moment. I am using the raw ripstop, not sure of the weight but it appears to be 1.9oz, with no hems at the moment. Been having trouble getting the stuff to work well with my sewing machine. I'm thinking of using "wonder tape" to get the material to hold till I can get it stitched, the tape dissolves in water and you can stitch through it, so I imagine it will work well for this use without putting any more holes in the material than I need to.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    the method that i believe most of us here use is a little simpler yet, & if you leave the tails hanging you can un-whip it to make adjustments.
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock2.html
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Yep, the method I'm using you can rewhip it as well. And the loops at the end make it easy to pull tight again without using the plyers.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spchtr View Post
    Yep, the method I'm using you can rewhip it as well. And the loops at the end make it easy to pull tight again without using the plyers.
    i should try that one. always good to have a few alternatives.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I'm sure glad this topic is about hammocks (whipping techniques -- ).

FWIW I've been using plastic zip-ties for whipping, the hammocks I've been making are 10', 1.9 oz. (treated) ripstop with hems, ring suspension, etc... no problems so far.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I'm sure glad this topic is about hammocks (whipping techniques -- ).

FWIW I've been using plastic zip-ties for whipping, the hammocks I've been making are 10', 1.9 oz. (treated) ripstop with hems, ring suspension, etc... no problems so far.
    NCP,
    Are you using one or more zip ties to whip your hammocks. I'm about to whip my first hammock and can used rope or a zip tie.
    Thanks,
    Michael

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I'm just using one per end, tightened all the way down. Not having any trouble with them holding at all.

HTH.

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I'm just using one per end, tightened all the way down. Not having any trouble with them holding at all.

HTH.
    I know that this has been discussed before...that using a tight larks head to tie the hammock support to the hammock will prevent it from slipping off of the end. As a precaution, what do you think of using two zip ties about an inch or two apart and forming a "bulge" of fabric between the two. Do you think this fabric bulge would act as a "stop" to prevent the rope from slipping past the whipping and falling off of the end of the hammock?
    ****, and I swore that I wouldn't start to think in the DIY mode :^)
    Michael

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I'm positive that just about any other person who has whipped a hammock using zip ties knows much more about this than I do, but when I place the larkshead, I make sure there is a little material between it and the zip tie, and that seems to be enough to keep it from moving.

Looks kindof like this:

==|=|=<

Of course, I recommend a periodic visual check until you're confident with it.

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    If you hem the hammock all the way around (including the ends), the bulk of the hem should keep a lark's head from coming off. Whipping at all (zip ties or otherwise) only keeps the fabric folded the way you want while the suspension isn't loaded.

I use two zip ties on each end. I fold my end, then put one tie on - but don't tighten it quite all the way yet. Repeat for the other end. Then I hang the hammock and check the edges. I adjust the edge tension with the corners at the ends. When I've got the corners the way I want, I tighten the first tie all the way down. I used to stop there, but I had problems with the corners slipping loose. To prevent this, I fold the (now elongated) corners back toward the hammock body, then add a second twist tie around the whole bit, newly folded corner included. The second tie goes just to the body side of the first tie. This creates a tension brake much like the ring suspension system, and works quite well to keep my edge tension static.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast