Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First Underquilt advice

I'm about to pull the trigger on my first underquilt and thought I would solicit advice before doing so. I've decided to go with a full length version since I'd rather not complicate my first setup with the fiddle factor of getting sit pads just right, etc. Second, I'm thinking a 20 degree would be a good 3-season option. Finally, I'm leaning towards Enlightened Equipment because they were great to work with on a top quilt I purchased earlier this year, plus I give Tim points for being part of the paddling community.

Any thoughts or reasons I should consider changing up? I've never seen/used the KARO-type baffles, so are there any concerns or advantages to those?

So, is there a better option than a full length, 20 degree, EE UQ, or should I just do it?

Oh, and my current and only hammock is an ENO DN, but I'm thinking about getting a WBBB XLC later this year.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Dive in I'd say
    You have had a good experience with EE so continue forth
    Full length and 20* is a great start to many happy hanging nights
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    are you going to winter camp?

if so; i'd recommend you get the 0*.

you can use it in all sorts of weather despite the added down. just less on top, basically.

Winter camping is on my radar, but it will probably wait until next winter. If (ok, who am I kidding, WHEN) I get hooked, I've got my eye on an overstuffed UGQ 0 degree Zeppelin. I'm not sure I wanna carry around a winter quilt all summer.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'd say in your area if you want 2 UQ to cover you for the year up in WI, I'd go 40* 3/4 and 0* Full length. That's what i use. I feel there isn't much of a difference between that 20* and 0* to have both.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Start with the 20 for the 3 season's and as you say when you get hooked then add the 0* set. The 20 can get one down to 15* with some extra clothing so is a good lead in to more adventurous winter cold and gear if it complies with you.
    Waiting on my 0* UGQ set to dive deeper into winters cold and the 20* gear has served me very well to this point and to round it out I just need a 40* UQ ...maybe....as the 20 just works so well.

How low of temperature do you feel comfortable with the 40? My reasoning against a 40 UQ is that I don't use my 40 TQ as much as other quilts and get chilly below 50 with it since I don't wear a lot to sleep except in cold weather. So, how do temperature ratings of TQs and UQs compare?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'll take my Phoenix 40 down to upper 30's comfortably. Once it gets below say 36*, Then I break out the 0*.
    The UQ produces most of your heat. I've done alright in the 30's with my 0* UQ and 40* TQ.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorPaddler View Post
    How low of temperature do you feel comfortable with the 40? My reasoning against a 40 UQ is that I don't use my 40 TQ as much as other quilts and get chilly below 50 with it since I don't wear a lot to sleep except in cold weather. So, how do temperature ratings of TQs and UQs compare?
    I agree ...my 40 TQ I'm only comfy with it to 50 and then switch out to the 20...would be the same if I had a 40 UQ. The 20 just covers so many bases as a do all one quilt.... Now I am specializing in the deeper cold going with a 0* set and will match that with the 20* set for extreme cold....just seems like the perfect combo when going for the stupid temps..and I may think your headed in that direction down the road...haha

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 Hexon 72"x11'
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ&UQ/DIY's
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I'd say you have a good plan. Thumbs up on the UGQ 0 degree. I just got one, and it was very much worth it. Of course, I've heard all good things about all the vendors.
    "The trees were like lace where the star-beams could chase, each leaf was a jewel agleam.

The soft white hush lapped the Northland and wrapped us round in a crystalline dream."

Robert Service

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast