Tarp
    Cuben rag
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Another option for keeping the Whoopie Sling from becoming an end bury splice.

Take about 2" of the same rope, taper 1/2" on both ends and bury it totally at the end of the sling where the bury starts. It disappears inside the rope. Maybe a lock stitch or two to keep the buried rope from shifting.

The buried rope would keep that part from entering the bury and keep at least that last 2" open.

Just another suggestion in case you don't like zip ties or guy line loops.
    That's what i have done , works super!
    Moski, who no longer feels the Secret Ninja Ski emptiness..............
    B/C he got them now

Hammock
    G-Bird II
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    AHE TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoop dutch!
    Images
    A small bead could be installed on the line to prevent "eyeloss". Shouldn't hamper anything. Put a matching bead(s) on the loose end, as well. A wood or plastic bead is cheap and light, could even be decorative or personalized with lettered beads. Here are some to put your trail name on your whoopie.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    onrope buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    A small bead could be installed on the line to prevent "eyeloss". Shouldn't hamper anything. Put a matching bead(s) on the loose end, as well. A wood or plastic bead is cheap and light, could even be decorative or personalized with lettered beads. Here are some to put your trail name on your whoopie.
    Someone in another thread mentioned making toggles out of antler, an idea that I found very attractive. The whoopies are another place to use a small bit of antler.

I really like the juxtaposition of dyneema and a Stone Age solution.
    Dave

http://www.uark.edu/misc/xtimber/rna/pattonsbluff.html

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.
    John Steinbeck

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    It should be noted that according to the Samson instruction sheet, a whoopie already derates the line to 60% of it's breaking strength.

This is probably because unlike a normal eye splice, where there is little to no derating, the buries in a whoopie have no taper.
    I believe this is if you use a locking brummel. If you stitch the dead eye, the deration is only 5-7%.

I taper my buries.
    Custom Bridge Hammocks

Mackinac Bridge Hammocks

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Our hammocks are the same kind of thing... a stone age invention implemented with modern materials.

"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Someone in another thread mentioned making toggles out of antler, an idea that I found very attractive. The whoopies are another place to use a small bit of antler.

on the antler thing, best if you slayed the deer yourself, by thrown flint-headed spear, don't you think?

Lemme see, flint-headed spear season is coming up end of the month, isn't it

Grizz

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    on the antler thing, best if you slayed the deer yourself, by thrown flint-headed spear, don't you think?

Lemme see, flint-headed spear season is coming up end of the month, isn't it

Grizz
    LOL! But Griz, what happened to your Avatar(sp?)? You seem to have become younger over the weekend. I guess that was a good weekend!
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    I believe this is if you use a locking brummel. If you stitch the dead eye, the deration is only 5-7%.

I taper my buries.
    I'm only speculating here, but the reason Samson suggests a locking brummel for the fixed eye might be because the adjustable loop may actually be the weak link. The buried section of the adjustable loop can't be tapered, so that sudden transition at the entry and exit points creates stress.

Just a thought.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    If you were to tie an overhand knot in the whoopie's loop section just before the bury (it would have to be tied before the bury was performed) it would derate the rope. Instead of doing that you can use a mini-biner or small loop of line inside the whoopie loop to prevent it from getting pulled in all the way. TeeDee's idea of burying a short section is probably the most attractive solution........
    OK, in case I have been unclear about what I was doing, this is what I am talking about when I say I'm using a knot:

The last shot shows the whoopie after I have intentionally pulled on it to shorten the loop, which is apparently what happened in my pack, by accident, the other day. It will only go so far with the bight place loosely into the loop.

But of course, this bight/knot is removed before hanging from the line. Surely there is no derating of the rope by tying this bight temporarily onto the loop ( eye? ) when putting into the pack? Unless I am missing something? There is never any tension placed on the Amsteel while this bight is in place.

However, a biner- if already in use- or a zip tie or any of the other ideas, would save the extra step of tying this loop, and prevent forgetting to tie it.

It should be noted that according to the Samson instruction sheet, a whoopie already derates the line to 60% of it's breaking strength.

This is probably because unlike a normal eye splice, where there is little to no derating, the buries in a whoopie have no taper.

This is all slightly confusing to me, because I have been using a Larkshead(LH) to connect to the hammock. Which is what I thought most folks had been doing. And I had questions earlier about if the LH did not itself derate the sling at least a bit more than the bury did. If that is not enough, I wondered about the 1" webbing( mine is polypro, what, 800 lbs?) with sewn in loops, and webbing going through the loop with a final Marlin Spike Hitch. Are not all of these potential week links?

So even if I hung with some sort of knot in the WS( though I am not and see no reason to, other than the LH, which must be considered), is there a net loss in the system? Even if I simply used the Amsteel like a HH or WB rope to hugger, and used some kind of HH type fig 8 hitch or other knot, reducing strength say 50%, would I really loose overall net system strength? Considering the rope would still be ~1250 lbs rating vs something less than 800 ( how much do sewn in loops or MSH derate?) in the rest of my system?
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Pretty cool concept!