Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft Hex1.0
    Tarp
    HG CF Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    whoopie hooks
    Having a good "Pillow" really helps me sleep on my side.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    WLtdpl,diySnowFort
    Insulation
    HG Inc10,DIY TQ 0?
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I side sleep with no problem in a Hennessey Expedition with a full sized pillow. What I find even more comfortable than lying on my back or side is half way between the two, kind of a 45* sort of situation.

Hammock
    DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    Images
    It's not easy to find the sweet spot that allows you to sleep on your side, but it's possible. You may try different hang angles and materials with an different amount of stretch. You may experiment with pillows, too. Somebody sleeps with the legs forming a 4, others stretch their legs.
    I'm a stomach sleeper and I figured out a half side half stomach position that guarantees me a wonderful sleep.
    Omnia vincit lectulus pensilis.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    One thing I learned with side sleeping is to move into position slowly. Gradually move from back to side until you find your sweet spot. Don't rush it, or it will feel awkward and like you are fighting with the hammock. I use a small pillow for back and side sleeping.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LLG Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm with Dingbat, the 45* lay is great! Sometimes I do 45* half-back half-side and other times I'm good half-front half-side... I usually just use my fleece pullover for a pillow, its warm and if I roll onto my back during the night I don't end up with my chin against my chest because I have a pillow under my head. Completely on my side I prefer to lay in the fetal position. As a bonus, in the fetal you get your legs and feet on to your 3/4 length UQ.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym Hex
    Insulation
    C Pepper, Wht Clou
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Tossing and turning side sleeper here. I do great in my 11 ft Dutchware and Hennessey Safari.

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL BD TP
    Insulation
    WL TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoppies/Straps
    Images
    Another 45er here. I usually start on my back and relax and just get the feel of the pitch. Then as someone pointed out slowly go my side, once there I turn my back a little back towards center and I end up half on my back and half on my side. The conventional way to pitch your hammock is feet higher then head but I've found for me that pitching it about even helps me side or 45 sleep easier..
    If a woman doesn't find you handsome, she should at least find you handy...Red Green

Jerry,

Hammock
    WB BB-lefty-xlc & BB-normal
    Tarp
    WB Superfly,
    Insulation
    EE-Top,Yeti-Bottom
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie/Clip
    Quote Originally Posted by dingbat View Post
    I side sleep with no problem in a Hennessey Expedition with a full sized pillow. What I find even more comfortable than lying on my back or side is half way between the two, kind of a 45* sort of situation.
    I do this too dingbat!

+1 on the WBBB-XLC - footbox and diagonal lay is fairly flatish.

I did notice that while you can sleep on either side in the xlc, I was more comfortable side-sleeping on my left side because I was facing the netting instead of fabric on on the shelf side....feels less constricted to me. HOWEVER, I normally sleep on my RIGHT side which would put my face toward fabric in the "normal" xlc.... That combined with the fact that we do side-by-side 2-hammock, 1-tarp caused me to sell my "righty" xlc (gasp!) and order a custom "lefty" xlc from WB. The lefty will allow me to sleep on my preferred right side and face the netting, plus side-by-side with my wife's "righty" BB puts our heads on the same end, both zippers inside facing each other and both shelves facing outside...

Haven't received the "lefty" yet but looking forward to it. Since the xlc is so in demand, I was able to sell it at a slight loss only... Hopefully it will be well worth the tweak!

I'm w/dingbat and Solohammock. I side sleep almost exclusively in bed with a contour pillow to prevent cricks in my neck, and in a hammock this translated to a 45* angle with a small pillow or stuff sack. I'm basically mashed up against the "sidewall" of my hammock and that just yields a 45* angle. I find I can sleep on either side, even though I keep head/port feet/starboard in terms of my diagonal.

I also wind up either curled up or with my legs in the figure-4, either way I'm 5'10" and stay fully on a ~64" diy UQ.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12