diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by knix04 View Post
    Topless(pitched in the skin) when possible, porch mode when necessary, always ready to close down quickly.
    Brother from another mother.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly w/door
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 TQ/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar/Turtle
    I love porch mode! I like being able to see if there's a bear sitting there waiting to eat me for breakfast. Plus I use Dutch's tarpworms so I can batten down quick if I see one.
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -- Mark Twain

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner in 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I think I will try out the porch mode this weekend. Any advice for pitching a WB SF?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Check out my youtube channel. Vids about hammock camping, geocaching and outdoor fun.
    Adventures With Snide Tripod

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snidetripod View Post
    I think I will try out the porch mode this weekend. Any advice for pitching a WB SF?
    If it's not windy, just tie the doors together so they are up and out of the way (basically the Mamajamba tarp)

Keep the porch side sloped enough so it sheds rain or else it will full up with water and you'll have a bath tub above you! If you need to block wind, you can untie the doors and have them staked out. Not perfect, but it will block a little.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    Costco DYI quilts
    Suspension
    Amsteel Blue UCR
    Images
    I'm a big fan of porch mode (either one or two sides). I re-purposed collapsible poles from an old tent so I can vary the porch entrance from 2' to over 6' using different combinations of sections. I ended up chopping up one of the poles so I could have a 5" section at the top to keep the tarp from sliding down the pole. (I use trekking poles when backpacking.)

The big advantage for me is space under the tarp. I'm 6'2" and without porch mode I usually can't fully stand up under tarp (bad for my back). As a scoutmaster it's also great to keep an eye on the other campers without having to exit the hammock.

It's super easy to switch modes. I had to do this Saturday night when then wind kicked up to 30 mph and turned my tarp into a kite. Just pull out the pole and tighten up the UCR for ground hugging protection.

Oh, and I always use a tarp. Had to clean bird poop off it just this weekend. :-)

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snidetripod View Post

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    I string up my SF then guy out the non porch mode side. Then insert the trekking poles i use for porch mode. I simply insert the tip of my pole into the triangle ring (Handle down on the ground) and then guy out the line from there. I have seen where many people use the handle up (tip in the ground) and tie off to the handle, but that is not the 'best' way to do it in my opinion.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Burg54 View Post
    I have seen where many people use the handle up (tip in the ground) and tie off to the handle, but that is not the 'best' way to do it in my opinion.
    I agree. I hate to complicate things with cordage and knots. Tip thru the triangle...done. Nothing changes between porch mode and your standard setup. I think it allows for a tighter tarp setup too.

I love my MSR poles which twist and lock, so I can adjust it to any length.

I have a fair weather trip coming up starting Thursday, so porch mode it is!

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon W 1.6
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator E 10°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I setup different depending on the day, my mood, and what the weather that night is supposed to be. Hot and muggy? Pitch it high, wide, and porched for maximum airflow. Cold, windy and heavy precip? Steep pitch, low slung, no porch. Anything in between is fair game. Weather also dictates if I'm going to run ridge-over or ridge-under tarp. I never go topless though. I've woken up too many times with my tarp sporting fresh splats directly above where my head should be. Nope nope nope.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    Cloud Burst
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Cayenne
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Is it weird that I bought trekking poles specifically because I wanted to be able to pitch the tarp in porch mode? I haven't even hammock camped before but Shug made it look awesome. I'm really jealous of all these porch mode pictures while I wait for my first hammock, tarp, and trekking poles to arrive.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Trekking poles aren't long enough for me. REI sells shock-corded poles that pack down to about 24 inches and have an adjustable height around 6 ft. They work great for me.

AAPirateCoveHammock1.jpg

Note that in the photo above, the paddle is not part of the tarp support and those particular poles are from an older MSR tarp (and the tarp is an HH Hex). But the size is about the same as the REI mentioned above.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast