Dutch
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Good starter setup?

Looking to get setup for $400-500 range...I need a hammock, bugnet, underquilt, tarp, and backpack...lol. A tall order I know so I have to sacrifice from somewhere...I plan on camping in the low 40's and up, I'll use a sleeping bag for a TQ for now and most of it will be in Arkansas with horrible mosquitos in the warmer weather. Here is what I'm looking at, please make suggestions to keep me on the right path...

Dutch hammock with suspension $98
    AE Jarbidge underquilt $100
    Fronkey bugnet $57

AE also does the beginner pack for $215 that comes with a hammock, UQ, misc goodies, and a half bugnet but it worries me to go that route with all these mosquitos, Not sure on that yet.

That will leave $150-250 range for a tarp and pack. I really want a UL Circuit but I don't think I can splurge on that right now so probably more along the lines of an REI flash pack...and a tarp will likely be a Walmart cheapo for now.

Am I on the right track for a cheap but decent beginners setup?
    If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.

Hammock
    diy multicam+5 others
    Tarp
    warbonnet edge
    Insulation
    downny
    Suspension
    stuff and things
    looks like a great start. I would get a better tarp though

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Any suggestions for a tarp that won't bust the budget?
    If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.

Dutch offers the TadPole... Nice tarp. You'd have shipping combined.

Can never hurt to have a hex tarp. Keep at this and you'll end up with a second tarp anyway!

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I will definitely be upgrading to a better tarp but the budget for now is what it is....ill check out dutches tarp and see if I can massage the numbers maybe.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Yukon Outfitters
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I was looking out a Kelty Noah 9' until the Yukon Outfitters Walkabout rain fly came up on Woot for 21.99 shipped. Also You need to allow some money for a ridgeline and other kit.

Check the for sale section. There was a Hammock Netty double layer, and suspension for a $100. Through a tarp over that and experiment with the insulation in-between the layers.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    A proper tarp is even more important than the insulation (and everything else). If you're not dry, you're miserable. I tried the Wally-World Blue tarp, and it's just not a solution, in my mind. They wear out quickly. Better to look at an HH Hex or a Noah's Kelty 12 x 12, until you can get something lighter.

I've seen the Yukon Outfitters' tarp in the field, and it looks exceedingly suspect. It reminds me of the legendary Guide Gear 12 x 12, which was the hottest thing in the world for a while on HF. When I bought two, they turned out to be total jokes - tarp imposters, something you would only give to an enemy to stay dry under.

I have two Grand Trunk 10 x 10 Funky Forest tarps, two Guide Gear tarps, a DIY silnylon, an HH Hex, and an HG Winter Palace. The ones I always reach for are the HH Hex and the Winter Palace - they're proper tarps that will keep you dry. I'm not especially fond of my silnylon tarp because silnylon stretches and absorbs water and can end up weighing more than the HH Hex after a hard rain.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 01-01-2016 at 18:29.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Town's End bridge
    Tarp
    MWG Membrane Sil
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/Thermarest
    Suspension
    straps/buckles
    Images
    Walkabout tarp, a Noah 9 or 12 if not backpacking, and get a $100 one when you can afford. Find a good deal on an Osprey pack (last year's model, etc)

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LLG Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Don't skimp out too much on a pack... After all, you will be wearing it for a good chunk of time. I am a fan of Osprey packs, I use an Exos 48 for three season use for up to a week with add water meals.... They run around $175. There are alot of custom packs around that kind of price but I like the Osprey packs cause I'm on the chunky, well fat, side and the trampoline style back helps with air circulation on the back. They also have a long torso choice to fit that over 20" torso length that I had a hard time finding anywhere else with a bigger company pack. Its also only just a little over 2 lbs so nice on weight.
    I have to say, with mosquitos being a major concern, I would go fully integrated bug net... Your almost there price wise anyways. I think I would pick up a WBBB XLC for $195 and you get the benefit of the shelf and the foot box. And you can still unzip the bug net and have just a traveler hammock for the winter and just hanging out.
    I would also take SilvrSurfr advice and go with a better tarp and wait on an UQ to round things out. A Mamajamba tarp runs $115 or the Tadpole runs $95, either works with an 11' hammock. Just buy some ccf for insulation for now and your good.
    So you would be in about $500 but nothing except the ccf would just be "beginner" gear that would need replaced later.

Hammock
    Hennessy Jungle Expedition Zip
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    I would check out the Hennessy Expedition. Come with hammock, bug net, and tarp for 160. That lets you get a decent under quilt and pack and stay within budget. I spent a little more and bought the Jungle Expedition to get the double layer to make the bottom mosquito proof and to put a pad in there for moderate cold nights. I absolutely love my Hennessy. I recently purchased but haven't gotten the UQ from Hammock Gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast