Tarp
    Green Cat
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    SMC rings / straps
    Images
    I've got several.

Had bears on two different trips to New Mexico in Cimarron Canyon. One trip, the group next to us left food out in plastic containers. Its tough to sleep at 4:00 am with bears in the next site ripping it apart. Needless to say they had a mess to clean up.

Second time, a year later - same area, was a bear just wandering through the camp ground after dark. I met him at the front of my truck (at about 5 feet). I almost accidently......He headed away and acted more annoyed than scared. I about had a heart attack.

Had a skunk in Texas wander down a trail I was hanging over in a net hammock one night. Heard something and smelled skunk. Just laid as still as I could. I assume he winded me as he went back the way he came at a high rate of speed. Luckily, I didn't get sprayed...Lesson learned, don't hang over a game trail no matter how small it is.

My favorite critter story is from fly fishing in South Dakota. I was up the canyon a good mile or two and alone (spooky factor had set in for some reason and I was already on edge). I was walking up on the hill looking down on the creek for holes to fish (the grass/brush at the creek was over my head). Found what looked to be a nice hole and made my way down into the grass. About halfway through it, something jumped up right in front of me and took off, I about jumped out of my boots and ended up on my back with tackle scattered everywhere. I was on the ground before my brain registered "Doe". I think she laid there as long as she could hoping I'd pass her up. I about stepped on her. I often wonder who was spooked the most out of the deal and get a good chuckle out of it now.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    While still a ground dweller, I awoke to something crawling down my left arm camped in a tent on the Manistee river in the northern lower peninsula of Michigan. Flicked it off, tuned on flashlight, black widow spider. Put it outside, attempted sleep, realized I wasn't feeling well and my neck hurt. Put hand where there was pain and there was oozing from my neck. Had been bitten.

Long story short, felt like the flu times ten, fixed breakfast for 12 men, paddled 15 miles, drove 4 hours home, went to urgent care center. Gave me Valium, antidote not very effective and I was ok. Took 5 days to recover. Haven't slept in a tent since. As a friend of mine said, there was David, necking with her in the tent and the b***h bit him. Yup, me and all the other males, least she didn't totally consume me.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

While sleeping in a tent out side of Mt. McKinley AK. We heard something outside our tent I thought is was a Grizzly or maybe a wolf. I looked out of the tent it was a moose! Man are those things BIG. Just laid there with my wife and it went away.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I set up in the back yard so often the squirrels are completely used to my set up, so they use my tarp ridge line as a short cut & every now & then, my hammock ridge line is the preferred route.
    Naturally the birds often perch on my set up. Once a House Wren checked out my Black Bishop bag as a nesting site, she went elsewhere thankfully.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    GTSBP
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Bag and Pad
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Jesus!!!!! All these stories!!!!! I'm never going outside again!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    While still a ground dweller, I awoke to something crawling down my left arm camped in a tent on the Manistee river in the northern lower peninsula of Michigan. Flicked it off, tuned on flashlight, black widow spider.
    Canoebie, I just got back from the Manistee on a two day trip with a guy who is terrified of spiders. I could only get him to go because I assured him I've never seen a spider there.
    I think I'll skip telling him your story if I ever want to go there with him again.
    Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ArsonHammockHanger

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Arson View Post
    Jesus!!!!! All these stories!!!!! I'm never going outside again!!!!

Canoebie, I just got back from the Manistee on a two day trip with a guy who is terrified of spiders. I could only get him to go because I assured him I've never seen a spider there.
    I think I'll skip telling him your story if I ever want to go there with him again.
    Black Widows are in all lower 48 states, venom 100 times more potent than a diamond back rattler. Fortunately, there isn't much of it. It set me back, I have a whole new appreciation for the practice of keeping things zipped, protected and enclosed, I used to hang things out all the time, now if I do, I shake them very well. Most times I keep them sealed. It was no fun.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    Black Widows are in all lower 48 states, venom 100 times more potent than a diamond back rattler.
    I am very glad to report this, from the University of MN, verified in 2009:

Northern Widow Spider Bite
    The northern widow spider is infrequently found in the Upper Midwest. This species is one of the three closely related "black widows." Black widow spiders are shy and prefer secluded locations <snip>

Brown Recluse Spider Bite
    The brown recluse spider,Loxosceles reculsa,is common outdoors and indoors in the southern and central United States. It is uncommon to extremely rare in the Upper Midwest. Only one specimen has been recorded in Minnesota (1953, Lake County). Only two specimens have been recorded in Wisconsin in the last 25 years

I've never been afraid of spiders, Canoebie- but your story might push me down that road!

Winter camping, anyone?

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I did a fair amount of research after the bite. They are not only shy, they are primarily nocturnal. The night of the event was unusually warm in September and I had left my tent open and my sleeping bag hung over the tent and forgotten about it until after dark. I am convinced she was in my sleeping bag and I pinched her when I rolled over between my neck and shoulder. She bit strictly as a defensive reaction. I did not kill her. I released her like the tree hugger that I am. I now am really diligent about zipping up my hammock, keeping my clothes packed in my pack etc. especially after dark. No need to be paranoid. Need to be cautious. Needless to say, I have not camped on "Black Widow Ridge" since.

Now at home, I vacuum all spider webs, spiders, etc. I have 0 tolerance. I still shake them out of the vacuum container outside. Gotta give them a chance to keep making a living like everything else on the planet. I do tell the story to folks I take on canoe trips, primarily as a motivator for keeping their gear organized and put away. Makes my life much easier.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird &amp; Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    A too curious Badger. Not in the hammock but under the hammock which had me in it wishing I had hung a bit higher.
    Noel V.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    I set up in the back yard so often the squirrels are completely used to my set up, so they use my tarp ridge line as a short cut & every now & then, my hammock ridge line is the preferred route. .....
    That reminded me ... I didn't see it but the blonde (wife) saw it. I had set my tarp up in the wooded area behind the house and went back in the garage to get something when one of the local squirrels (all evil according to my dog Spencer) decided to do just as you described. Unfortunately for him he really didn't have a good grasp of climbing on sil nylon.

Kathy told me he took a A over head tumble hitting the ground ... after which he started chattering at the tarp and running around it before heading back up a tree and away from the tarp!

Now would that have ever made a great "Shug'ish" video!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast