Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Your favorite uninvited visitor...

Thought this might make an interesting topic.

Was hanging in my peapod last weekend. Cool night, so all closed up except for breathing opening. Sleeping soundly. Woke up and decided to adjust myself a bit. Something fell through the opening and ran down my body almost to my feet. I ripped open the peapod and the intruder ran back up and out the resulting larger opening. Remarkably...I went back to sleep pretty quickly. My assumption was a mouse we had seen around camp earlier. Makes me want to design some of those metal discs people put on their bird feeders to keep the squirrels out for my straps!

So...do others have such unwelcome visitor stories???
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I've had ringtails walk across my all mesh tent. That was pretty cool. I just stayed still and watched them chase each other around.

Another time I must have camped right on an armadillo super highway. Every few minutes I'd hear them make a racket in the palmettos then walk through my camp.

A few weeks ago I had elk rubbing up against the van I was sleeping in. That was not very cool. I was camping in new Mexico and was sure I was about to be taken away by aliens.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    No hammock involved, but one time I was jacking around with a tarantula, trying to get it to cross the toe of my boot.

Sucker kept going around, instead of over...finally, on about the sixth try, he walked up on my boot, made a hard left turn, and headed due north, right up the inside of my pant leg.

Under normal circumstances, I don't dance, but on that evening, I made an exception.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    No hammock involved, but one time I was jacking around with a tarantula, trying to get it to cross the toe of my boot.

Sucker kept going around, instead of over...finally, on about the sixth try, he walked up on my boot, made a hard left turn, and headed due north, right up the inside of my pant leg.

Under normal circumstances, I don't dance, but on that evening, I made an exception.
    You just gave Cannibal a BIG case of the creeps!
    http://www.linvillegorge.net

"You can't hem up a Rat!" Malcom Johnson, ca. 1970

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    You just gave Cannibal a BIG case of the creeps!
    My work is done, here.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

I set up my hammock on the back hill for a couple of shakedown nights before a section hike. Once, around midnight, a very surprised deer nudged it. There was that characteristic snorting sound, and then hoofbeats, so I knew immediately what it was.

Hammock
    HH exp delux
    Had a bear wake me up in the middle of the night pawing at my hammock and pack that was hanging on the straps. Woke up and looked out just in time to see him nibbling at my toes. Needless to say I started kicking and finally bopped him well enough that he left. Only to return the next morning just wandering around the site as everyone skipped breakfast to get packed and away from him.

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Tarantulas? Bears? What's next- bats?

I have never been so pleased to have absolutely NOTHING to contribute to a discussion thread!!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    Nothing in my hammock...but, many, many, many years ago, in boy scout camp, I heard one of my tent mates eating the Hershey Kisses that my mother sent to camp with me. I turned on my flashlight to catch him...only to find a skunk sitting on its hind legs carefully opening the foil. I left through the back of the tent, not waking anyone.

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    One early morning just after daylight, while testing something or other on a hammock in the back yard, a small bird landed on my head. I was awake and only moved slightly so it stayed until I shook my head. Kinda neat, actually.

Let's look for the thread with a post about someone out West who took a nap in his hammock to be awakened after dark by something large moving under him and lifting him up, followed by shouts from his fellow campers of "GRIZZLY!!!". Anyone remember that one?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast