Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Modifying Ridgeline

I just received a new Desert Rat in the mail from Hennessy Hammocks. I have already set it up in my bedroom to test it out. I have slept in it a few nights already and I'm having some of the best nights.

I have tried to use the hammock as a lounger by resting myself on top of the bug net but find it very uncomfortable with the ridgeline there. Is the ridgeline necessary to holding up and/or keeping the hammock stable or is it just there to hold up the bug netting. If it is not necessary then I might cut the ridge line and add some carabiners to the ends of the ropes so I can reattach them at will.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by windigo View Post
    I just received a new Desert Rat in the mail from Hennessy Hammocks. I have already set it up in my bedroom to test it out. I have slept in it a few nights already and I'm having some of the best nights.

I have tried to use the hammock as a lounger by resting myself on top of the bug net but find it very uncomfortable with the ridgeline there. Is the ridgeline necessary to holding up and/or keeping the hammock stable or is it just there to hold up the bug netting. If it is not necessary then I might cut the ridge line and add some carabiners to the ends of the ropes so I can reattach them at will.
    The HH ridgeline is structural - it sets the sag of the hammock, as well as holding up the bugnet and keeping it from being overstretched or torn. Cutting one end and adding a 'biner so it can be temporarily removed is pretty nice, but I wouldn't remove it permanently.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    The only way I think you could get by with permanently removing the ridge line is to also remove the bug netting. Like Jeff said, it would rip without the ridgeline.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you cut the ridgeline and add biners to make it adjustable, then to use it as a lounger, make provision for a VERY short ridgeline. A very short ridgeline will give the hammock a LOT of sag. That will raise the ridgeline up out of the way. The shorter the ridgeline, the higher it will be above the hammock and the better for lounging or use as a chair. You will then have to readjust the ridgeline back to it's "normal" length for use as a regular hammock. As BB351 wrote, do not remove the ridgeline permanently or you could do serious damage to the bug netting or over-tighten and damage the hammock fabric itself.

Just had a thought - if you decide to try a very short ridgeline for lounging or use as a chair, be sure to check the bug netting before and as you sit on the hammock.
    Last edited by TeeDee; 05-28-2007 at 15:50.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    If you cut the ridgeline and add biners to make it adjustable, then to use it as a lounger, make provision for a VERY short ridgeline. A very short ridgeline will give the hammock a LOT of sag. That will raise the ridgeline up out of the way. The shorter the ridgeline, the higher it will be above the hammock and the better for lounging or use as a chair. You will then have to readjust the ridgeline back to it's "normal" length for use as a regular hammock. As BB351 wrote, do not remove the ridgeline permanently or you could do serious damage to the bug netting or over-tighten and damage the hammock fabric itself.
    Why have adjustability? Mine is either hooked or unhooked. I made the length fit the bugnetting without stretching it. For sitting/lounging, I just unhook the ridge completely, fold the body material over (from the outside) so I'm only laying on nylon and not netting, and voila. Simple.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    A taught ridgeline hits the back of my head on my Hyperlight when used as a chair. Not very comfy. To remedy this, I just hang it much looser.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

• + New Posts