Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Von Porkchop View Post
    I like the idea of you hammock, especially useful as many areas in the UK you will go to ground and having a pad is necessary.

I made a double layer with polyester and a original thermarest and it was supremely comfortable (too noisy so sold it) but I may just have go give your design a bash as it solves the shifting and folding I hate in a double layer
    Thanks Scotty. It's an easy build and in my opinion well worth the effort. And I agree about the double layer experience. An air mattress slips too much between the layers for my sleeping tendencies.

Quote Originally Posted by bradym77 View Post
    I have the Hammock Bliss Sky Bed and love it for Spring thru Fall but when winter hits I switch to my Dutchware Dobby with an underquilt. Your hammock looks good and should get you pretty low in temps. Let us know if you have any condensation issues with that and the temps you take it down to.
    Brady, I've been using the Klymit mattress for 15 months now. No condensation as of yet. The lowest I've gone with it was 37f in a 15 mph breeze. I was toasty as long as I stayed on it. The CCF pad has been part of my car camping gear. Used it for about 6 nights in combination with the Klymit. Again no comdensation and temps in the low 40's.
    Last edited by Texas Hanger; 01-06-2016 at 12:11.
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

I like your hammock set up. For me I am a side sleeper and GE hammocks are hard for me to sleep in as well. I am a total newby to hammocks I am about to make my first hammock. Any suggestions on building your style hammock would be great? Your pad system is it sewn in?

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by bradym77 View Post
    I have the Hammock Bliss Sky Bed and love it for Spring thru Fall but when winter hits I switch to my Dutchware Dobby with an underquilt. .
    Why switch in winter? Is your pad "R" Value to low? Or a matter of fit? Have you tried using both a pad and an UQ?
    I THOUGHT GETTING OLDER WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER.

Hammock
    DIY 11',65W;V-Allen Bridge
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alltoys View Post
    I like your hammock set up. For me I am a side sleeper and GE hammocks are hard for me to sleep in as well. I am a total newby to hammocks I am about to make my first hammock. Any suggestions on building your style hammock would be great? Your pad system is it sewn in?
    Thanks alltoys. Yes the pockets are sewn in. If you already have an air mattress that works well in a hammock, then I suggest you lay in the hammock and find your most comfortable, flattest position. Often called the sweetspot on these boards. Then have someone mark the corner locations with removable tape. I use the std blue painters tape.

From there it's simple measuring and sewing. One tip to make the right size pocket... my mattress is 2.5 inches tall when inflated. Also, it's 23 inches wide. I sewed the pocket 23 inches wide with 25.5 inches of hemmed material. Thus leaving the room needed for the height but still snugly keeping it attached to the hammock.

Also, if you have the right size fabric pieces, you can create the side panel pockets at t he same time with a little planning. My foam is 9 inches wide and 3/4 inches tall. Therefore the side pockets are sewn at 9 inches width with 9.75 inches of hemmed material.

Let me know if you have anymore questions. Good luck!
    Last edited by Texas Hanger; 01-07-2016 at 16:51.
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Hammock
    http://camphammocks.com
    Tarp
    Peaked Fly
    Insulation
    PAK-IT-LITE System
    Suspension
    Toggled Suspension
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    No, the Amok Draumr and Exped Ergo are not gathered end hammocks. The Ergo probably is a 45° hammock, the Draumr a 90° hammock.

However, there is at least one gathered end hammock with a sewn in pad sleeve: the Pak-It-Lite.

My guess is, that while a pad sleeve in a gathered end hammock might be a great idea individually, it's difficult to make it work in a commercial, one-size-fits-all hammock. Depending on body size and girth as well as different preferences, people lie in their hammocks in different places and varying angles. For example a short person is able to lie a lot more diagonally than a tall person. You also have to be very accurate when you hang the hammock, because you can't compensate for hanging the head end a bit higher or lower by moving around in the hammock. That's one of the draw-backs of the Hammock Bliss Sky Bed.

However, it's great that you were able to design your perfect hammock! It certainly looks comfy!
    Hey hutzelbein, Thanks for the link. FYI - PAK-IT-LITE hammocks have folded ends and not gathered. The reason being; the way the hammock bed is cut, creating the head an foot pockets which allow user to lay flat, it's better to fold than gather. Our Patent covers both folded and gathered ends but folding works the best. This video may help to explain that a little more - https://youtu.be/ImbpLZB2RhU. It's designed to allow side and stomach sleepers a more natural way to sleep.
    If you have any questions, feel free to give me a shout.
    Tony Kramer
    Sea Kayak Instructor/ Guide
    http://theseakayaker.com
    Owner/Designer of PAK-IT-LITE.LLC Hammocks & Outdoor gear.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I know your videos. I would still consider the Pak-It-Lite to fall into the category of "gathered end" hammocks. Same as the SLD Streamliner. The fact that the sides are shaped doesn't make it something completely different. The basic principle (one piece of cloth with 4 corners gathered in which ever fashion at the short corners connected to a suspension) is similar enough for me to put it in the category of "gathered end" hammocks.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Peaked Fly
    Insulation
    PAK-IT-LITE System
    Suspension
    Toggled Suspension
    Images
    I know your videos. I would still consider the Pak-It-Lite to fall into the category of "gathered end" hammocks. Same as the SLD Streamliner. The fact that the sides are shaped doesn't make it something completely different. The basic principle (one piece of cloth with 4 corners gathered in which ever fashion at the short corners connected to a suspension) is similar enough for me to put it in the category of "gathered end" hammocks.
    I see what you are saying. Gathered (coming to a point) rather than having other lines coming off each corner. I'm not sure what you mean by the sides of the hammocks being shaped but got the gathered thing.
    Tony Kramer

Hammock
    Tarp
    Peaked Fly
    Insulation
    PAK-IT-LITE System
    Suspension
    Toggled Suspension
    Images
    No, the Amok Draumr and Exped Ergo are not gathered end hammocks. The Ergo probably is a 45° hammock, the Draumr a 90° hammock.

However, there is at least one gathered end hammock with a sewn in pad sleeve: the Pak-It-Lite.
    Hey hutzelbein,

Thanks for the shout! So, when are you going to try out one of my hammocks? The main thing is the VAT tax and duty fees. They are almost as high as the price of the product! A few guys from across the pond, in your neck of the woods, have purchased my hammocks. If you want, I can send you their names and you can pick their brains about the hammocks. Maybe even hook up with them and test one out. One of them is on the Hammock Forum UK site. Not sure if the others are on HF.
    Tony Kramer

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by theseakayaker View Post
    So, when are you going to try out one of my hammocks? The main thing is the VAT tax and duty fees. They are almost as high as the price of the product! A few guys from across the pond, in your neck of the woods, have purchased my hammocks. If you want, I can send you their names and you can pick their brains about the hammocks. Maybe even hook up with them and test one out. One of them is on the Hammock Forum UK site. Not sure if the others are on HF.
    I would have gotten one already if it wasn't for international shipping and customs, plus the unfavorable exchange rate. It's hard to justify another hammock when you already own way too many I'm still hoping I will be able to visit the US in the not too far future, and then one of your hammocks is on top of my shopping list.

If you have Pak-It-Lite users in Germany, I might get a chance to try one out. We have been having a very active hammock user community for about a year now, and we have been meeting up for a couple of hangouts. If I could persuade one of your customers to take part in one, that would be an excellent opportunity. Unfortunately, I'm not travelling to the UK anymore at the moment, and I don't have any trips planned. Feel free to hook me up with any German customers.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    Hi TexasHanger,

Sounds like you have a real sleep problem.

I'm a side sleeper in a bed but in my GE hammocks I tend to sleep down the centreline on my back really well.
    Some of my shorter hammocks cause shoulder squeeze but I don't mind.
    My right shoulder has only 20% ligiment attatchement from a dislocation last year so I can't put up wit side sleeping on anything hard-like a bed.

I really like you pad setup and might make one myself.
    I currently use an inflatable pad full length with slight taper but not wide enough to keep shoulders fully warm.
    A SPE would be ideal until I can make an under quilt.

I'm also alot shorter than you at 5'6" and my last hammock is 11'.only slept in it once so far.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast