Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Alternative to soft shackles

Aside from soft shackles what do you like to use to connect your tarp to your CRL? I believe Shug showed a video where he used a short toggle on a prusik and pushed that through the D-ring. What other options are there? Maybe a small caribener on a prusik? I ask because the soft shackles I made are a royal pain to open. They are made from zing it and with my cold Minnesotan fingers it takes a deal of focus and endurance.

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    I have small s- biners on my prussicks for that very reason. They stay atached on th ridgeline and I just clip the tarp on.Cheap, light, easy to use. Got em at wally world.
    " No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I've used Derek Hansen's method with small S-biners; I've used Loop Aliens; Prussik knots with biners, prussiks with soft shackles; prussiks with locked eyes and sliding whipping knots and diamond knots and probably a few other configurations I am not remembering.

Once I switched to mini-ucr's with fixed eyes and sliding whipping knots, with double diamond stopper knots, I have yet to change. It's super light, small, holds great, no hardware.. I haven't found something better.

I've eliminated prussiks altogether not just on my ridge line. While I love, and still use soft shackles in a bunch of iterations, I found them too small and frustrating to open when tied in zingit or dynaglide.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I use a a small stainless steel carabiner on 12" of zing it and prusik. I always hear people saying how slippery zing it is and not holding knots. I have not experienced that at all with 2.0mm. I did however wrap it an extra time or two.

I love the innovation of the ucr's. I think I'd run into the same trouble as the woopies in a narrow trees hang. My tarp is much bigger than my hammock.

Oops. I just checked out that link. lots of good info. going to try a diamond knot...
    Last edited by XJ35S; 02-04-2017 at 10:26.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by -Sawg View Post
    Aside from soft shackles what do you like to use to connect your tarp to your CRL? I believe Shug showed a video where he used a short toggle on a prusik and pushed that through the D-ring. What other options are there? Maybe a small caribener on a prusik? I ask because the soft shackles I made are a royal pain to open. They are made from zing it and with my cold Minnesotan fingers it takes a deal of focus and endurance.
    Used the toggle in the old days. Went to shock cord prussic and an s-biner but I never use a CRL anymore.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Shug, what method do you use to hang your tarp?
    XJ35S, thanks for the tip. I may try the mini beiner as well.
    I realize there are many roads to Rome. Just exploring my options. I have plenty of zing it, a dutch hook and a wasp... Just exploring the possibilities with the materials I have at hand.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I tied a perfection loop in the zingit that's holding my dutch hook. I just go around the tree and snap it on the cord. Then go around the other tree and I use a flea. Now my ridge line is 35' feet. I often have to slide the flea up or down the cord to get a good amount distance so I can cinch it down. The extra length is nice. I'm going to add a dutch hook to that end too. Then I can wrap the loose extra to a branch and have a mini clothes line. No worries of it pulling off the flea.

I use this instead of the locked brommel and it's fantastic.

The perfection knot will not slip ever. I have untied it but don't recommend it. The key to putting a dutch hook on the loop is easy. It's just a square knot first then finish it with the jamming part of the loop knot.Steel piece for demonstration purposes...

This link shows it being tied but not onto anything. It took me a while to figure out it's just a square not first.

http://www.animatedknots.com/perfect...om#ScrollPoint

IMG_0668_zpsq9elnhjc.jpg

IMG_0669_zpsu4kjt4az.jpg

IMG_0670_zpsrwwojvvh.jpg
    Last edited by XJ35S; 02-04-2017 at 12:46.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ35S View Post

That's a great knot... aka Double Dragon knot. Can be used to put an eye at the end of line, in the middle or around a standing object as you did. And unlike the square knot you referenced, it unties super easy.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    much different than the double dragon. Watch the video in the link.

Well, I finished up my tarp suspension. I went with a red zing it CRL, Dutch hook on one end and the wasp on the other. I made two continuous loops out of some extra zing it and attached them to the CRL via Prusik knots. I have a small s-biner on each Prusik. Will do figure 8 wraps to try controlling the 30' line before stuffing it away. Guy lines are either 4' or 8' - two of each length. All guylines have tarp tensioners which I learned to make from Shug's instruction (thanks Shug). Stakes are a light V shaped aluminum. Tarp is an OES Maccat deluxe.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast