Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kammok Roo

Kammok Roo

Hi all. I'm considering jumping into the world of hammocks and I have come across the Kammok Roo. I saw some threads from very early on when it was first introduced to the market, but I'm wondering if I could hear from some folks who have been using it lately and what their opinions are. I am considering getting the applicable bug netting, but probably not the rain fly (very expensive!). I really appreciate the help!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Hello there and welcome. The Kammock gear is over priced IMO and I have read about their poor customer service. I think you'd be better off looking at hammock forum vendors to save money, support a US based business and have excellent customer service.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Hello there and welcome. The Kammock gear is over priced IMO and I have read about their poor customer service. I think you'd be better off looking at hammock forum vendors to save money, support a US based business and have excellent customer service.
    Thanks for the tip. Part of my interest in the Kammok gear is that I have a gift card to Eastern Mountain Sports that I'm looking to use. The other hammock they sell is "Therm-a-rest slacker". Would that be a better choice? Like I said - I'm new to this so I'm just trying to make a good initial choice.

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by smr4364 View Post
    Thanks for the tip. Part of my interest in the Kammok gear is that I have a gift card to Eastern Mountain Sports that I'm looking to use. The other hammock they sell is "Therm-a-rest slacker". Would that be a better choice? Like I said - I'm new to this so I'm just trying to make a good initial choice.
    IMO, use the giftcard for other need: baselayers, socks, cookwear etc., and get a dutchware hammock (38 dollars) and suspension.. cheaper with better quality fabric, length .. and you're supporting one of our cottage vendors.

Quote Originally Posted by cholla28 View Post
    IMO, use the giftcard for other need: baselayers, socks, cookwear etc., and get a dutchware hammock (38 dollars) and suspension.. cheaper with better quality fabric, length .. and you're supporting one of our cottage vendors.
    Ok great. I appreciate the help! My follow up questions would be: if I go with the Dutchware hammock, do you recommend a structural ridgeline and suspension (which one)? Also, what is a 'dual knotty mod' that is listed as part of the package available for purchase? Lastly, I'd like a bug net to provide full coverage as well - is there a particular bug net that is very effective and recommended? Sorry for all the questions - just not overly familiar with this. Thanks again!

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    I do recommend a structural ridgeline and suspension. Will probably still come out to cost less than a kammok too. The ridgeline is a big part in not only maintaining sag, but also helping you get a nice 30* hang angle . the suspension is up to you... Watch some videos on whoopie slings with marlinspike hitch, whoopieslings with whoopie hooks, cinch buckles, and spiders... Any suspension will work well. Whoopie slings are the lightest option. But you have a minimum hang distance which can sometimes be an issue. Cinch buckles are probably the cheapest option, and for me, the easiest to adjust.. The tradeoff is tjat the cinch buckles and straps are heavier.. Upgrading to the ti cinch buckle can help with weight, and usability. The spiders are brand new, and the pair i have works great as eithwr an all strap suspension, or with a whoopie sling. Dutch has a bugnet that a ton of users here use, the fronkey style bug net. It is a one of the most commonly used nets. And again same great USA quality.
    The "knotty mod" is basically just some elastic cord at both sides of the hammock toward the foot end with cord locks, that can be cinched up to make a little "footbox" and also to keep flappy material out of your way. It is supposed to help keep your topquilt in your hammock. Personally, I have some with and without, and it doesn't make much difference. If you're on a budget, skip it, if not ... Doesn't hurt to try out new things! hope this helps
    Last edited by Intimidator; 01-05-2016 at 11:48.
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Your welcome. If you are interested in using a hammock for camping, you will need a tarp and top and bottom insulation. IIRC Arrowhead Equipment sells different starter kits that have everything you need to get started hammock camping. They are a good vendor to deal with as well.
    Last edited by Bubba; 01-05-2016 at 12:01.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    +1 on Dutch hammocks and hammock ridgeline. The Knotty Mod is not necessary, but some people think it's great.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Knotty mod from the inventor....
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    9 posts and no one has suggested some shug videos yet? Spend some quality time with shug on YouTube and everything will be much clearer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast