Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images

Appalachian Section Hike NY

Hiked the Appalachian Trail Section 10 from Bear Mountain Inn to West Mountain shelter.

The hike was definitely tiring as we had about 35-40lbs in our packs. Rained the first day but that didnt stop us from the hike.

First time on the AT and I was nervous that I would wander off trail but the trail blazes are clearly marked and easy to follow.

My buddy joined me on his first hike ever. He slid down a muddy section of the trail about 3 miles in. The only water proof boots he had were steel toed boots so he paid the price with a few blisters at the end of the trip.

Had a great time the views on the way back were better as the next day was clear and 65 degrees. However the terrain was very wet, muddy, and rocky so we slipped numerous times luckily we didnt hit the ground and were able to catch ourselves with our trekking poles or nearby trees.

Stayed at the West Mountain Shelter overnight. Met a hiker named "Free Bird" who's been on the trail for 3 months comming from Virginia and is heading to Maine. Really cool guy. He was running low on fuel and food so we refilled his fuel and gave him some food we knew we weren't going to get to on our way back the next morning. Hope he has a good travel and makes it to his destination safely.

A few campers came by and set up camp next to my tarp. One couple decided to get it on loudly around 1am which kept me up for a bit Ha! definitely made me miss my woman!

Aside from the whoopie noises first time sleeping in my black bird and got to tell you I'm in love with this hammock. Great design!

Here's the video Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rYH3q9XqkQ

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Great video, Raul. We love trip reports, pics and videos around here. Trust me, there's no shortage of them.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Welcome to the AT family. I did that section NoBo last month and we were blessed with perfectly clear skies so we got to see the NYC skyline from the tower on Bear Mountain. Enjoyed the trip report!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    nice job, you are not a noob anymore, excellent report. Welcome to the forum.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images

video

Great video with the exception of the occasional cuss word. I know that it is my option to watch or not watch. But when making a video to post in a area such as this it may be better taken without all that unnecessary language.
    Great report and way to hang (pun intended) through the rain.

BEAS
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    sorry about the profanity. didn't mean to offend anyone thats just how we talk to one another. I'll edit my next trip for content.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good time to go over some gear that I used and my experiences with them for a mid fall hike:

Neoprene hat by Champion (black) - neoprene lined with fleece. It was completely soaked and still kept my head warm very impressed.

Campmor Rain Jacket (Black) - not breathable sweating to death in it. But for the price ($20) and the fact it has a head band tie which keeps the hood locked on to your head I really cant complain that much. Just wish it had arm pit vents. That would have alleviated a lot of moisture.

Colombia Titanium Outer Shell (brown)- probably overkill for this type of hike. could have lived without it since I had my rain jacket. However unlike my rain jacket this puppy is breathable. Probably a great combo with the fleece jacket in the winter with no precip or snow. Not good for rain (even though its water proof) because of no hood.

Colombia Fleece (Brown) - kept me nice and toasty at night with that and a base layer just sitting in the shelter looking out at the lights in the mountains. Even damp it kept me warm.

Smart wool medium weight base layer - wow for the light weight and super packable I didnt think it would keep me very warm but I was totally wrong. Just used it on the trek home and I was completely comfortable. Maybe even a little too warm.

Mountain Hardwear Gortex Rain Pants - breathable and super durable. They say its really packable but thats debateable. I just stuffed it in my outside mesh pocket but I had to fold it a bunch of times.

Craghoppers fleece lined trousers - wow super impressed. Fleece lined and the outer shell is a cotton poly mix... super durable and semi water repellent. Also a quick dry feature that was put to the test and it worked out beautifully. Glad I bought 2 cause when this one is worn out I will definitely break out the other one.

Smart wool med weight bottom base layers - as the top super light weight and packable. Used it in conjunction with the Gortex Rain pants and I really couldnt complain it worked out like a charm.

wigwam wool socks - no blisters... bam nuff said. very toasty.

Keen Growlers hiking boots - probably too early to break them out. My feet were soaked with sweat as these are more like winter boots. I was expecting 30 degree nights and it didnt happen. Although even when they were soaked on the inside they warmed up FAST when I put my feet in them.

Warbonnet Superfly Tarp with doors - super light... I think I spread the tarp out too far as the doors didnt close as much as I wanted. I could have altered my set up but I was being stubborn. It did it's job and kept most of the cold wind off me and kept 95% of the rain out. But some rain got in due to the wind. Nothing too terrible will know better going forward.

Warbonnet Blackbird Hammock 1.7 ripstop nylon single layer - Wow... yeah wow I've NEVER slept better. Totally better than my Hennessey NO DOUBT. That foot box makes all the difference. If it cooked for me I totally would kick my girlfriend out of my apartment.

Jacks R better Mt Washington 3 underquilt - did its job. My set up was not perfect and when I extended into the footbox of the hammock the quilt shifted off my back and my back got a bit cold. pulled it back and it shifted off my feet and my feet got cold. Played with the cinches and got it to where I wanted it but had to exit the hammock a few times in the cold. Gonna take some more outings till I get it the way it needs to be without being a sped about it. for what its worth whatever it covered was totally toasty.

Mountain Hardwear Lyell -15 degree 600 down filled sleeping bag - not the lightest or the smallest packed winter bag. In fact it is quite huge in the stuff sack. But I have to say it is AWESOME! Most comfortable bag I've ever slept in. I warm up in like 5 minutes in it. I'm hoping to get this down to 0 degrees with the current set up I have and still be comfortable.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I'm one of those people who has trouble cinching. Others have trouble too. I posted a thread about my idea to fix this slipping problem. My spark ideas or ways for you to mod your BB and UQ to keep it from slipping. You could mod it at both shoulder and foot end. Gotta be warm.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Interesting thanks HC. I'm gonna toy around with it thanksgiving weekend assuming the weather is nice.

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    Why so much weight?

• + New Posts