Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    I have learned to trust ramrev. I have also sewn enough of this stuff and worked on enough machines to agree with rev. Its a top issue. I took a machine apart, cleaned and put it back together and could not get my thread to cooperate. It would get like that for me if the thread length was larger. So I was sewing everything at 12-15 threads per. Anytime I moved below that number I could no longer hold the bottom threads (or as it is adjusted to thread). This was until Koolranch gave me a not working 15-91 to take parts off. I swapped the entire section where the dial for thread tension and it works at all thread counts. I must have the thread tension dial messed up somewhere. Now I can use the dial when needed to adjust.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Also check out the article about proper ways to sew straps. I am sure there are many that will hold enough, but as gmcttr has posted the best way is peaks like a bad polygraph. I will try and find the post. I use the peak method and for ascetics I box them in. No bar tac or zigzag needed.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly HEX
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, SBTQ
    Suspension
    Tree Straps/ WS
    I have had this problem before also on an older machine. I never figured it out and got a new "computerized" injector a short time later. Great info about the top tension. I will drag the old machine out and see if it helps. I have not tried to sell it or give it away because I thought it was broken (and it may still be like miyanc had issues with). But great info. Thanks guys.
    Luke Smith
    "When I consider your heavens, the works of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them?" -Psalm 8:3-4

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Sounds like a top thread tension problem. Make sure your thread goes through that Hook thingy that goes up and down with each stitch. Don't know the technical term for that thing, but when my machine fouls up the under stitch, its usually 'cause the thread has jumped out of that thing.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    here is the sewing article. It may be other places but this will do. http://caves.org/section/vertical/nhback/NH03.pdf its on page 12

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ice man View Post
    Don't know the technical term for that thing,
    It's called the "take up arm"
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Custom 11.5' 1.6 Hyper D Gathered
    Tarp
    Custom Sil-Ny Hex
    Insulation
    Custom Apex Quilts
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by mcswainm View Post
    Hi, I am new to this forum but have a little experience with sewing machines. Unlikely as it sounds, most of the time a mess on the bottom is caused by a problem up on the top side. Look closely at the thread and see if the loops and mess on the bottom are made up of the top thread. Easier if you you use two different colors. If it is the top thread that is making the mess it is likely a threading or tension problem as Ramblinrev stated. The top thread makes a loop that passes around the bobbin and then the loop must be pulled back up through the fabric with the take up lever. If there is not enough tension on the thread, the take up level will pull more more thread off the spool rather than pulling the loop back up through the material.
    Hope this helps.
    Thank you so much! I just learned something... I will try 2 diff colors and see what happens.

Insulation
    Costco Quilts
    I agree, it's a top tension issue as stated by so many others. Two colors of thread is a good idea so you can confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    here is the sewing article. It may be other places but this will do. http://caves.org/section/vertical/nhback/NH03.pdf its on page 12
    I tried some straps using that method...anyone have hints for getting even line spacing? sewing a blind V is kinda hard when trying to keep it pretty.

Hammock
    Custom 11.5' 1.6 Hyper D Gathered
    Tarp
    Custom Sil-Ny Hex
    Insulation
    Custom Apex Quilts
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel
    Thanks everyone for your input. I rethreaded the machine with a diff color on top and held the ends. Turned out much better. I will not underestimate the power of rethreading the machine. Holding the ends also made it much better too. Thank you all. Case closed.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by foxrun View Post
    I will not underestimate the power of rethreading the machine.
    A complete re-thread is the sewing machine equivalent of the computer re-boot. It is amazing how many times that works.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12