Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    I think it depends on your use. I do a fair amount of backpacking and as a result like a lightweight, low bulk options. For me that's a whoopie sling with whoopie hooks. I tried the marlin spike hitch but didn't care for it as much personally as my whoopie slings often slipped off the hitch during adjustment, not when the hammock was weighted down, but I still didn't like the scare it gave me with my hammock slipping close to the rocks and sticks below... Probably just my clumsy nature but it didn't work as well for me. It's still a method I think everyone should know how to use as it can be a substitute for most suspension systems in a pinch. I still use the marlin spike hitch on occasions where trees are too close for whoopie slings and I can just attach my hammock continuous loops directly to the marlin spike hitch.

I like amsteel continuous loops on all my hammocks so I can interchange between different suspensions easily. It also makes it so I can have 8 hammocks and only a few suspension systems rather than a dedicated one for each hammock. If I'm car camping, I sometimes take my ENO Atlas straps. Sure they are bulky and heavy and not as infinitely adjustable as my whoopie slings, but they are simple and easy. I've also found that when winter camping, my cold fingers don't always play nice with whoopie slings. I've been wanting some Cinch Bugs for a long time to solve that problem but it's hard for me to drop the $$ on them when I already own two sets of whoopie slings, along with various other straps that I can use with a marlin spike hitch...

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by MadTurtleCreek View Post
    I just upgraded my cheapo hammock's suspension. For a a whopping 20 bucks I was able to pick up 25' webbing, 25' of amsteel, and cinch buckles. I made two 8" continuous loops from the amsteel and used the rest for an overkill of a ridge line.

Attachment 122455
    I know that hammock, that's a walmart equip travel hammock isn't it. Lol, that thing is heavy for how short/small it is, but I still find it pretty dang comfortable. Of course I love the low stretch of polyester hammocks...

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Equip
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I use whoopie hooks with 4 ft straps and youngest daughter uses cinch buckles with a dutchclip. Ive used them both and find them equally easy to use so ultimately it came down to the whoopies being lighter that made up my mind.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do." -Bob Dylan

My YouTube Channel

Hammock
    11' Hexon 1.6, Poly D 1.3
    Tarp
    HG Standard Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    12' tree straps to
    Images
    I'm all for CLs attached to the hammock so you can change your suspension as you see fit. I've used whoopies slings, but at the moment I just Becket hitch 12' tree straps to the CL. I've never understood why most people have short tree huggers and long amsteel lines coming from the hammock body; seems more useful to have length at the tree. Plus, webbing is cheaper and lighter than amsteel.

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcolon13 View Post
    I'm all for CLs attached to the hammock so you can change your suspension as you see fit. I've used whoopies slings, but at the moment I just Becket hitch 12' tree straps to the CL. I've never understood why most people have short tree huggers and long amsteel lines coming from the hammock body; seems more useful to have length at the tree. Plus, webbing is cheaper and lighter than amsteel.
    In my experience, webbing may be cheaper, but it isn't lighter than amsteel. Of course, I haven't used Dutch's Kevlar webbing so that might change things...

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Standard Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    12' tree straps to
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jamaulwall View Post
    In my experience, webbing may be cheaper, but it isn't lighter than amsteel. Of course, I haven't used Dutch's Kevlar webbing so that might change things...
    Tubular webbing isn't but the 1" flat webbing I use seems lighter. I might have to pull out the scale to make sure...

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Standard Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    12' tree straps to
    Images
    Doh! I stand corrected. 7/64 amsteel IS lighter than 1" webbing.

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Tubular webbing isn't but the 1" flat webbing I use seems lighter. I might have to pull out the scale to make sure...
    On my scale, two six foot whoopie slings with whoopie hooks weigh 1.62 Oz. Two 6' Dutchware Tree huggers weigh 2.89 Oz. That weight is for "flat webbing" without Dutch Clips. That is the reason most people use more amsteel than tree strap. I tend to agree, more length on the tree end can be more convenient in a lot of situations, but you pay for it in weight and bulk.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by McMULE View Post
    Is there a go to suspension? Or are they all usable in most situations? Was thinking whoopie hooks with 5ft tree huggers
    As you've discovered, ask 10 hammockers what the best suspension is and you'll get 15 answers... along with a lot of "depends on where you hang." Might as well ask what the best beer is and watch the fun ensue.

Almost all suspension systems are usable in most situations. The biggest variables for me are the lengths of the huggers/straps which depend on the tree diameters you'll encounter and the distance between trees. As long as you have continuous loops on your hammock you can change stuff pretty easily.

My opinion/sense hanging around here for a while:

Ultimate light weight: Whoopies with a marlinspike hitch using a stick for a toggle (toggle weight matters to some people so use what you find and don't carry one).
    Easiest to use: Cinch buckles w/ Dutch Hooks.
    Car campers: Some combination of huggers, carabiners, and loops. Maybe a pair of descender rings too.

I've found some form of cinch buckle the easiest to use and my daughter has a set of aluminum buckles on her Dutch 11' hammock w/ clips. I am currently using Kevlar straps on Ti cinch buckles for my Dream Hammock and my Hennessy (I swap) when I am backpacking for the ultimate flexibility and ease of use. These straps do have Dutch Clips as well. I also have a set of cinch bugs since all my hammocks now have continuous loops on them so I can switch pretty easily.

Good luck...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Doh! I stand corrected. 7/64 amsteel IS lighter than 1" webbing.
    Whew! Had me there for a minute...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast