AlexK

SOLD: Hennessy Hyperlite Asym, $200 OBO

I bought a Hennessy Hyperlite Asym (1lb 7oz) hammock for my ultralight backpacking setup. Used only one time for one night. It turns out I don't like sleeping in a hammock afterall.
    Perfect condition.

The cost was $219.95 from Hennessy. I will sell it for $200 and ship for free. Will listen to other offers.

Some of you probably feel otherwise, but I don't think a hammock is ideal for camping in the high Sierras. My plan is to buy a Tarptent Contrail and sleep on the ground.

Images
    call hh and ask for a full refund, someone told me the same story and said they were able to return it for a full refund...Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
    I bought a Hennessy Hyperlite Asym (1lb 7oz) hammock for my ultralight backpacking setup. Used only one time for one night. It turns out I don't like sleeping in a hammock afterall.
    Perfect condition.

The cost was $219.95 from Hennessy. I will sell it for $200 and ship for free. Will listen to other offers.

Some of you probably feel otherwise, but I don't think a hammock is ideal for camping in the high Sierras. My plan is to buy a Tarptent Contrail and sleep on the ground.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Other hammocks lay differently than HHs...if you're still interested, don't give up on hammocks just b/c you don't like that one model.

But yeah - you need to be prepared if you're gonna use a hammock in the high Sierras. Probably not the best option if you're going solo, but if you have a go-to-ground option (like a hiking buddy with a tent) it can work. Unexpected storms up there can be worse than in other places. Then there's the above tree-line areas, but a pad and tarp as part of the hammock system can take care of that.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

AlexK
    Thanks for the info about the HH refund. I will call them right now.

I like the idea of sleeping in a hammock but it was just too cold. At high altitude it really gets cold at night. It was about 40° last night and during the day 75°. I realize I can be warm with enough pads but then it is not really ultralight. I also found that I toss and turn a lot during the night and I was always touching the cold hammock sides.

AlexK
    I called about the refund and spoke to Tom Hennessy.
    He offered a full refund but also told me all about his insulating pad which weighs 13 oz. I will have to check the posts here to see what people are saying about it.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
    Thanks for the info about the HH refund. I will call them right now.

I like the idea of sleeping in a hammock but it was just too cold. At high altitude it really gets cold at night. It was about 40° last night and during the day 75°. I realize I can be warm with enough pads but then it is not really ultralight. I also found that I toss and turn a lot during the night and I was always touching the cold hammock sides.
    I've gotten down to 12F in my hammock and was cozy warm. I consider myself an ultralighter. Others have gone even lower comfortably.
    Hammock set-ups compare favorably to tent set-ups as far as weight. Even ultralight weight. Check this out:www.tothewoods.net/HammockGroundWeights.html
    The learning curve with hammocks is somewhat longer than with a tent. Sounds like you need more time in that department. Your already a member of this site. Take the plunge. You have nothing to lose but the hard ground. You already have a killer hammock. I have a Hyperlight also. A couple of things you could do is upgrade to a bigger tarp and rig your hammock with the ring/buckle support system:http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ghlight=buckle
    You'll wanna throw your tree huggers in your campfire after you try this set-up.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 05-28-2007 at 12:43.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you're still considering it, there are lots of ways to be warm and comfortable...but the high Sierras do need some special consideration, IMO. If you're already an experienced hiker in those conditions, though, it shouldn't be too difficult for you to apply the same lessons to hammocking. A freak storm in the Appalachians may get cold and dump some snow on you, but there are few places on the east coast where the weather does what it can do at 10k' and up in the Sierras.

Here are some options for staying warm at various cost and weight thresholds, and here is a story about a blizzard I went through in the Sierras (mostly in the hammock).
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts