10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jr05 View Post
    Thanks for all the quick replies!

Well, I am not sure if it is motion sickness. I have never been on a cruise but I go deepsea fishing and don't have any issues there. I do tie out the lines tight, but have not used any tensioners.

The hammock has been set up with the head and foot level, I will attempt to set it up with the head slightly elevated and see if that helps at all. Not sure when I will be able to try it outside as it is basically winter in NE now and I don't have any winter hammock setup since I haven't even gotten it working in the summer haha. I will give it a try indoors in the next couple weeks and check back in with you all then.
    see if you can cobble together a way to hang it up in the garage- that way you are somewhat protected, but can still test insulation and sleeping clothing. couple of big eye screws in the ceiling joist, lika a porch swing sort of device, or somthing similar shouldn't be too difficult to obtain
    Just tryin ta help! KM

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    This got me to thinking, I have a similar problem that I have finally come to think of as being a result of sleeping almost too well in the hammock. In other words I sllep so well that EVERYTHING, well almost, shuts down, & as opposed to sleeping in a bed it takes more to "start up" when nature calls or when getting up for the day.
    Could that be the cause of jr05's dizziness?
    Seems to me that even if only on a subconscious level shutting down that hard could be frightening, thereby causing some to not be able to sleep afterward or even causing dizziness. I may be blowing smoke, but still,,,,,,,,,,,

I do know that I sometimes get really weird (vivid?) dreams when I sleep in the hammock A result of totally shutting down? I don't get them in a bed, also don't sleep very well in a bed either.

Quote Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
    I tend to have the same problem on the first night, so don't worry your not alone.

I usually wake up to answer the, um, call of nature and end up staggering like I packed in too much Jack and coke and decided to lighten my pack on the first night . (I've actually had to stand and hold onto the tree to keep from falling over).

I have wondered if it was an inner ear issue that results from switching from a bed to a hammock. Like Vitamaltz I'm good after that first night and the longer I'm out the better I am. I know that as I have hiked and hung on a much more frequent basis, the problem has gone away or I've just gotten use to it. Who knows, but at your not alone.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Jr05, you are going to have to try all kinds of things and get to the bottom of this!

I suggest a bit of ginger, such as ginger snap cookies, before you go to bed. I don't believe it is motion sickness, but it could be that simple seasickness cures will work.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

I'm a solo backpacker and tend to sleep a bit on the lighter side on my first night when in remote wilderness in my hammock,guess hanging out in the open as opposed to my tent makes a difference.
    The 2nd night all is well as I'm at peace with nature and have acclimated to my hammock.

Try anchoring your hammock to prevent swing.
    If that fails try several glasses of red wine.

The one reason i would tell someone to be patient and try to make the hammock work is simple,
    I've been an avid backpacker for 30yrs and in the past year "age related" apon waking in the morning my back was simply killing me in my tent,very stiff.
    Not so with a hammock,very refreshed and full of life "full of something" in the morning.

Hope it works out for you.

Motion sickness

I am convinced that the nausea and dizziness your are experiencing is due to motion sickness. Let me explain: Since you are not able to "see" the horizon/landscape around you while inside the hammock, you are experiencing a lack of visual feedback which causes your brain to misread the information being relayed to it by the balance sensors in your inner ear. This is due to your inner ear balance system sensing that you are not on terra firma. Being suspended in a hammock is not a natural human experience. You might be able to mitigate this a little by keeping yourself fully hydrated.

I too have this problem from time to time. Not unbearable but a bit of a nuisance.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123