How do you use your GG 1/4" CCF pad?

How do you use your GG 1/4" CCF (or similar pad)? I just ordered one and I'm looking for ideas on how to go about optimizing it.

My current idea is to cut the pad approximately in half (39x30) and cut the remainder in half again (19.5x29). The large piece is the torso pad and runs lengthwise. It will reach from about my ears down to my fingertips (with my arms hanging at my sides); so a bit below my bottom and then some. If I am lying on my back the 30" width is what the measuring tape says I need to cover my back and the sides of my shoulders. The smaller piece would run lengthwise from under my bottom (so 2 layers there) and down to about my ankles. The other small piece would stay home unless I find it useful. My logic is:
    • I have (on order) a HH with bottom entry. Standing in the entrance I can position the torso pad, and then sit on it and enter the hammock. Once in the hammock I can position the leg pad.
    • The torso pad folded in half can form a ring around the inside of the upper compartment of my 60 L pack. My pack will be mostly empty whenever I am likely to pack or unpack the torso pad.
    • The leg pad folded in half would be a good size for a sitting pad (14.5x19.5) and is small enough that it can be packed were it will always be easily accessible. Ideally the leg pad would be about 24" wide so that it would wrap completely around the sides of my legs when I was laying flat on my back.

While I can sleep most anywhere (car, airplane, even wooden chairs) my preference is on my side. I'm not sure how that works in a hammock. I have a DIY 20" sleeping pad of 2 layers of eggshell foam (from a mattress topper) as well as a Klymit Static V inflatable pad. I'll try a few things before I start hacking up the GG pad. There is always Tenacious Tape if things don't go too far awry.

FWIW my top quilt is a JRB Sierra Snivler. My sleeping outfit is synthetic and covers down to my wrists and ankles, so I don't expect any skin-to-pad contact. I will cover the pad with a camp towel if moisture is an issue.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    I left mine as it is. Open wide and it is a big single layer. Fold in half for a fractional double layer.Folded in half, it keeps me warm down to about 50. It's a good summer solution.

• + New Posts