So with the couple extra throws I had, I decided to make a matching 50* set of quilts. I tried them out this evening roughly 15* weather with a slight breeze. I was comfortable, but these are not for that cold temperature. I figured with how warm they were in 15*, they would be just fine for 40* and up.
For the top quilt, I started by sewing the foot box in, the whole quilt is only 45" wide with no taper. I folded the quilt in half then stitched 25" up (5 of the quilted squares). Then, I folded the quilt in half again, as to put the vertical stitch that I just made in the center drawing.jpg
Then did a rolled hem on the raw side that was cut to achieve the 45" width. After that, I just put in a channel at the top, ran some shock cord and put on a plastic snap. After that was all done, I just seam ripped the vertical stitches to have an end result with horizontal baffles.
This all said and done, weighs in at only 338.4g! That's only 11.9oz!!!
Now for the UQ. I ripped all the seams in one direction to get head to toe baffles, shook the down to one end, then stitched across for how long I wanted it to be (60"). Then I made a channel on each of the short ends to cinch this thing up. After those channels were stitched, I grabbed some 7/8" grosgrain and put on the long channels. For the suspension I used 3/32" shock cord and Lash-it to keep the weight down.
Here is what the suspension looks like. I just spliced the shock cord into the Lash-it and tied a overhand knot in the shock cord so it wouldn't pull through.
Here she is hung up this evening.
This UQ with full suspension weighs in at..... 338.9g, or also 11.9oz! It has about 2.5-2.75" of loft as well.
I can also stuff both of these quilts into one of the factory supplied stuff sacks!!!