Tablecloth (silver)
    Tarp
    Olive Garden hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Thumbs up 40* Costco UQ & TQ

So with the couple extra throws I had, I decided to make a matching 50* set of quilts. I tried them out this evening roughly 15* weather with a slight breeze. I was comfortable, but these are not for that cold temperature. I figured with how warm they were in 15*, they would be just fine for 40* and up.

For the top quilt, I started by sewing the foot box in, the whole quilt is only 45" wide with no taper. I folded the quilt in half then stitched 25" up (5 of the quilted squares). Then, I folded the quilt in half again, as to put the vertical stitch that I just made in the center drawing.jpg

Then did a rolled hem on the raw side that was cut to achieve the 45" width. After that, I just put in a channel at the top, ran some shock cord and put on a plastic snap. After that was all done, I just seam ripped the vertical stitches to have an end result with horizontal baffles.

IMG_6180.jpg
    IMG_6176.jpg
    IMG_6177.jpg
    IMG_6178.jpg
    IMG_6179.jpg

This all said and done, weighs in at only 338.4g! That's only 11.9oz!!!

Now for the UQ. I ripped all the seams in one direction to get head to toe baffles, shook the down to one end, then stitched across for how long I wanted it to be (60"). Then I made a channel on each of the short ends to cinch this thing up. After those channels were stitched, I grabbed some 7/8" grosgrain and put on the long channels. For the suspension I used 3/32" shock cord and Lash-it to keep the weight down.

IMG_6185.jpg
    IMG_6186.jpg
    IMG_6187.jpg

Here is what the suspension looks like. I just spliced the shock cord into the Lash-it and tied a overhand knot in the shock cord so it wouldn't pull through.

IMG_6174.jpg
    IMG_6175.jpg

Here she is hung up this evening.
    IMG_6173.jpg

This UQ with full suspension weighs in at..... 338.9g, or also 11.9oz! It has about 2.5-2.75" of loft as well.

I can also stuff both of these quilts into one of the factory supplied stuff sacks!!!

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon sil 5300
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    That's a good looking UQ & TQ for minimal cost! I did something very similar with 3 throws, but I used some ideas from other members to use the 3rd throw to layer inside the UQ to get to colder temps if necessary.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Outstanding job and just what I need for my lightweight summer setup! I'll have to get some of these throws and place and order!
    Gideon

Hammock
    Tablecloth (silver)
    Tarp
    Olive Garden hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by gfstanley View Post
    That's a good looking UQ & TQ for minimal cost! I did something very similar with 3 throws, but I used some ideas from other members to use the 3rd throw to layer inside the UQ to get to colder temps if necessary.
    Thanks, I might sew in a small plastic snap at each corner of the UQ and do another quilt similar (with the head to toe baffles) and offset the baffles so there is minimal gaps in insulation. I think by doing that, I can keep the weight down as much as possible.

Hammock
    Tablecloth (silver)
    Tarp
    Olive Garden hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Outstanding job and just what I need for my lightweight summer setup! I'll have to get some of these throws and place and order!
    Gideon
    From some other posts on here it looks like Costco is dropping the price on these to about $15.00! If you have a couple throws, bring them on our next hike and I can make you a set. Like I said, these should be good at 40* without any supplemental insulation. As far as the the weight and compact size, you can't go wrong.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon sil 5300
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by DiyGuy83 View Post
    Thanks, I might sew in a small plastic snap at each corner of the UQ and do another quilt similar (with the head to toe baffles) and offset the baffles so there is minimal gaps in insulation. I think by doing that, I can keep the weight down as much as possible.
    From my experience, I had to put more snaps than just in the corners of UQ to keep the "layered" quilt in place. The material is so slick that the middle of the sides kept sliding down or folding over. I ended up putting 3-4 along each end and 4-5 along each side.

Hammock
    Tablecloth (silver)
    Tarp
    Olive Garden hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by gfstanley View Post
    From my experience, I had to put more snaps than just in the corners of UQ to keep the "layered" quilt in place. The material is so slick that the middle of the sides kept sliding down or folding over. I ended up putting 3-4 along each end and 4-5 along each side.
    Good thinking, I will probably do a few down the long sides as well.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    DIY straps / Fancy
    Quote Originally Posted by DiyGuy83 View Post
    So with the couple extra throws I had, I decided to make a matching 50* set of quilts. I tried them out this evening roughly 15* weather with a slight breeze. I was comfortable, but these are not for that cold temperature. I figured with how warm they were in 15*, they would be just fine for 40* and up.

For the top quilt, I started by sewing the foot box in, the whole quilt is only 45" wide with no taper. I folded the quilt in half then stitched 25" up (5 of the quilted squares). Then, I folded the quilt in half again, as to put the vertical stitch that I just made in the center drawing.jpg

Then did a rolled hem on the raw side that was cut to achieve the 45" width. After that, I just put in a channel at the top, ran some shock cord and put on a plastic snap. After that was all done, I just seam ripped the vertical stitches to have an end result with horizontal baffles.

IMG_6180.jpg
    IMG_6176.jpg
    IMG_6177.jpg
    IMG_6178.jpg
    IMG_6179.jpg

This all said and done, weighs in at only 338.4g! That's only 11.9oz!!!

Now for the UQ. I ripped all the seams in one direction to get head to toe baffles, shook the down to one end, then stitched across for how long I wanted it to be (60"). Then I made a channel on each of the short ends to cinch this thing up. After those channels were stitched, I grabbed some 7/8" grosgrain and put on the long channels. For the suspension I used 3/32" shock cord and Lash-it to keep the weight down.

IMG_6185.jpg
    IMG_6186.jpg
    IMG_6187.jpg

Here is what the suspension looks like. I just spliced the shock cord into the Lash-it and tied a overhand knot in the shock cord so it wouldn't pull through.

IMG_6174.jpg
    IMG_6175.jpg

Here she is hung up this evening.
    IMG_6173.jpg

This UQ with full suspension weighs in at..... 338.9g, or also 11.9oz! It has about 2.5-2.75" of loft as well.

I can also stuff both of these quilts into one of the factory supplied stuff sacks!!!
    This is very cool. I really like the way you spliced the shock cord.

Hammock
    Tablecloth (silver)
    Tarp
    Olive Garden hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks Koolranch, I really dislike knots (even though I had to tie one anyway), it holds really well and all I had to do was melt the ends of the Lash-it a bit with a lighter.

Hammock
    Chameleon, wbxlc
    Tarp
    Dutch ultralight
    Insulation
    HG 0 underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie, webbing
    DiyGuy83 made me a top quilt using a costco quilt and I love it. The quality is great and I can't wait to use it in the spring.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast