Dutch Hex 1.0 11' foot
    Tarp
    Purple Xenon DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Hab
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle

UQ and pad simultaneously?

Would like some perspective of using both an under quilt and pad simultaneously in cold weather. Would the distance between your body and UQ created by the pad decrease the effectiveness of the UQ or could comfort in colder temperatures be achieved with both?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I use both under quilt and pad in really cold weather. 40x72x3/16 GossamerGear or Oware pad in double layer hammock--can't slip off that! And 20degree underquilt. Some have had condensation (body moisture) with pads.
    And some may or may not use pad and stack underquilts using two at once. Good luck!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've always had condensation with pads, but have never tried a pad plus UQ because I didn't expect anything to change (and still don't).

It's possible that by placing the UQ under the pad, you could reduce temperature differential and thereby minimize condensation. However, I never bothered trying that because the pad is a vapor barrier, and I always have condensation with vapor barriers.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by msudawg View Post
    Would the distance between your body and UQ created by the pad decrease the effectiveness of the UQ
    This isn't how insulation works. Insulation is additive, regardless of what kind it is. If you hear someone saying you're "keeping the heat from getting to the down" they don't know what they are talking about.

The biggest problem is the stiffness of a pad can sometime produce gaps between the UQ and the hammock, which will impact the effectiveness of the quilt, obviously. So effectiveness can depend on the specific pad you use too, but in general this is perfectly acceptable.

Condensation from your body moisture can form, because micro-climates form in the pockets between your body and the pad, and saturate with moisture. So you may find you wake up with a damp back/butt.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Short answer, yes. I do this in the between temp range. Summer=Uquilt, winter=pads, in-between=both. Used the quilt/pad combo the other week for temps in the high teens.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Down all the way!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I use zero degree quilts when it drops below 25 and have had no issues with cold. The coldest I have been out was about 8 degrees. I stayed comfortable as long as I stayed in my hammock. it was the gettin' out that I didn't like. I do agree with whats been said here, they will work together. You will probably have air pockets between the pad and quilt which will take longer to heat up and result in some heat loss, but they will work together just fine.

Hammock
    Dutch Hex 1.0 11' foot
    Tarp
    Purple Xenon DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Hab
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle

UQ and pad simultaneously?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    The biggest problem is the stiffness of a pad can sometime produce gaps between the UQ and the hammock, which will impact the effectiveness of the quilt, obviously. So effectiveness can depend on the specific pad you use too, but in general this is perfectly acceptable.
    I use a neo air and always have used it with somewhat less air than full and it seems to conform to me and the hammock, so it will be interesting to see how the addition of the UQ effects it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Condensation from your body moisture can form, because micro-climates form in the pockets between your body and the pad, and saturate with moisture. So you may find you wake up with a damp back/butt.
    I have been using a pad as bottom insulation exclusively and never had a problem of moisture between my body and the pad or hammock and the pad. So, it will also be interesting to see if the addition of an UQ changes that.

I would think that the results are highly individualistic based on a myriad of factors, so I guess I won't really know until I go out and try it. Which I am looking forward to this weekend, but I certainly do appreciate this forum to give me things to consider. 'preciate it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by msudawg View Post
    I use a neo air and always have used it with somewhat less air than full and it seems to conform to me and the hammock, so it will be interesting to see how the addition of the UQ effects it.

I have been using a pad as bottom insulation exclusively and never had a problem of moisture between my body and the pad or hammock and the pad. So, it will also be interesting to see if the addition of an UQ changes that.

I would think that the results are highly individualistic based on a myriad of factors, so I guess I won't really know until I go out and try it. Which I am looking forward to this weekend, but I certainly do appreciate this forum to give me things to consider. 'preciate it.
    Be sure to post back on your results because I'm wanting to do the same basic setup. Neo Air xTherm and under quilt in my Ridgerunner.

I use a neo air xtherm with great results! When partially inflated it is very comfertable, and it is kinda grippy so you don't slide around at all. Probably one of the best pads to uses in a hammock

• + New Posts