Hammock
    DIY 1.6 Hyper D
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    HG Econ UQ + TQ
    Images

Pro style cues

I come from a cycling background where there are certain style cues that show the work of a pro. For example, when building a wheel, you should be able to read the hub logo through the valve hole in the rim.

What are the style cues for DIYers to get that professional look?
    Straight stitch lines goes without saying. What about rolled hems on a gathered end? Do they go to the inside or outside of the hammock?

Any others?

Images
    Dirt, dried-on sap, charcoal smudges, the smell of wood smoke, small pine needles tucked into creases ... all signs of actual use and not just posers accumulating gear ;-)

My point is that for many DIYers here, function almost always comes first. It only counts if it works well and gets you out into the field. After that, HYOH and all that.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Dirt, dried-on sap, charcoal smudges, the smell of wood smoke, small pine needles tucked into creases ... all signs of actual use and not just posers accumulating gear ;-)

My point is that for many DIYers here, function almost always comes first. It only counts if it works well and gets you out into the field. After that, HYOH and all that.
    lol and +1,000

I'm still leery of people with all new gear.

But I used to build bicycle wheels and know about the valve hole logo thingy. More important to center the tire label precisely with the valve hole in order to find tube punctures and holes in the casing.... wow, they still use tubes, no?

However, my observation is that hammock edge hems go on the outside and tarp edge hems on the inside. And that right there is the extent of my "pro" knowledge.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Chameleon with Spreader Bar Bugnet
    Tarp
    SLD Custom Wide
    Insulation
    Zip-on UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    My observation is that hammock edge hems go on the outside and tarp edge hems on the inside. And that right there is the extent of my "pro" knowledge.
    For the end channels, put them on the inside, hidden from view. For the long sides, I would put them on the outside just because that seems like it would protect them from the wear and tear of the occupant rubbing them.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have always folded my hems to the inside. No specific reason, just feels right. But different manufacturers have different styles. For example I prefer double layer hammocks with the opening inside the integrated hammock like Warbonnet does it. But Dutch has the opening on the outside (of the zipper). So basically, how you do most details is a matter of taste. If you want a professional look, try to sew straight and lock the seams without a nest of thread.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I've always rolled the hems on hammocks to the inside, for a cleaner look from the outside. End channels are rolled to the inside as well, so the stitching is easier to inspect. Hems on tarps are rolled under to the inside so water doesn't run down and into the hem. Reinforcement patches go to the inside.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts