Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Canahang View Post
    People who get dumped on a MSH are usually because they hook up one side of the hitch then go to the other side and set up that side and never go back to the original side to make sure that the load is on the knot and hasn't slipped onto the stick when they were setting up. I've made the mistake once. And only once.
    The time I described I made certain the load was on the knot. The compression of the knot snapped the toggle.

Quote Originally Posted by daneaustin3 View Post
    The time I described I made certain the load was on the knot. The compression of the knot snapped the toggle.
    I suppose if the toggle is too thin. I've hung from soggy sticks and had no problem. I always make sure the ogle is at least as thick as a finger.

Images
    I had some 1" webbing of unknown quality that snapped during a weight test of my first hammock. I then purchased quality grossgrain from RBTR, and no issues since. I use the MSH, but I bought a carbon fiber arrow from Walmart, and chucked it in a drill (with a drillbit inside to keep from crushing it), spun the arrow shaft against a hacksaw blade to cut it, and I got 8 or so 3" toggles. The whole arrow weighed 30 grams or so, so the toggles are negligible weight, and so far, they have held up.

A lot of outfitters that cut arrows to fit will give you the cutoffs if you ask. I picked up several 3"-4" pieces from Bass Pro. I haven't been brave enough to use them for my hammock, but I do use them to hang my backpack.

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    The only drop I have had is from the UCR I made out of 1.9mm Techline from DIYGS. Clearly not made for suspension, but I had used, and still continue use, whoopie slings from that line with good success.

The UCR just wasn't up to it though. As soon as i hopped in my hammock, It slipped all the way to the ground (which was only ~6" away, I may be crazy hanging off the techline, but I am not completely inept). I tried tightening up the tautline hitch, spending extra time milking the bury, but after 3 more slips, I gave it up.

The Argon 67 hammock and 1.75 blk dyneema whoopie slings are still holding out. But I am just counting the hours.
    Last edited by MattK; 02-04-2016 at 17:17. Reason: forgot an important word

Hammock
    Dogger
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Some resale store tie down straps that gave way and a hammock made out of the bottom of an old tent that split. Sure was fun.

I once was using an old stuff bag as a sand anchor. Instead of tying the rope to the bag I tied it to a webbing strap sewn onto the bag. It dropped me in the middle of the night and darn near made the 2x4 hit my head. It was awfully close...

Now I tie a larks head directly under the knot of the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by johne View Post
    folks,

as i'm looking through the lists and making my own hammocks, i'm starting to think it would be cool to get a big list of all the things people have done wrong so people can avoid doing those things in the future... maybe even a "what dumped me on my rear" sticky post....

john

Quote Originally Posted by jwygralak67 View Post
    My PVC Hammock stand let me down.

Notch a 2x4 slightly to hold the lines and it'll hold much better than that. The shear force needed to break a 2x4 is greater than 1000lbs according to construction joist tables I found. I'm a big guy (>300lbs) and 2x4's in that same setup hold me just fine.

It was built based on this: http://www.instructables.com/id/Free...Hammock-Stand/

Hammock
    Equip from Wal Mart
    Tarp
    Yukon Outfitters
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    RBTR Cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by iconicflux View Post
    Notch a 2x4 slightly to hold the lines and it'll hold much better than that. The shear force needed to break a 2x4 is greater than 1000lbs according to construction joist tables I found. I'm a big guy (>300lbs) and 2x4's in that same setup hold me just fine.
    If I do it over, I'll probably try 2x4s.
    The nice thing about the PVC was that it was designed to break down into 27" long sections. Of course that also created the weak point, which is where it failed.
    If I do 2x4s they'll have to be 5 or 6' long, which makes it trickier to pack them in my trunk.

The other problem I had was getting the stakes to hold. I found that corkscrew dog tie anchors screwed into the ground inline with the guy lines, rather than perpendicular like a typical stake, seems to work as long as the ground is just soft enough that I can screw it in all the way. I tried putting them in perpendicular and wound up bending the straight top section of the corkscrew.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    I had a Tablecloath factory hammock wear out on me last year. I don't know how long I had slept in it but one night I woke up to the sound of a really loud zipper. Opened my eyes reaching for the ridgeline and it was getting farther and farther away. Then my back was on the floor and the noise stopped. The fabric just unzipped at the gather.
    Just strung up another (I have a couple different colors) and went back to bed. It was over a year old and my oldest one and I sleep in one every night. I guess things wear out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast