Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TQ width, why are they so wide?

I see the standard quilt width is 50" at the top and 55" or so for a wide size. I'm getting ready to make one for myself and I think that seems way too big.

my sleeping bag is 56 or 58" and that is huge, way too much fabric to manage in the hammock, it's a real hassle. It is always half falling out.

I'm 5'11" 185lbs and I tried out my daughters quilt which is 44", that actually seemed about perfect, I can wrap it around my shoulders and have room to move my legs if I want my knee bent.

Is the extra width in case you need to lay on the ground?

Aside from weight and cost of a bigger quilt I'm also worried the thing is going to be hard to handle.

This one is for indoor and summer use, shooting for about 45 degree. Sewn through 1.5" loft.

For sew through is there a best width for each chamber? I'm assuming fairly wide so the cold spots are minimized.

Thanks.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    We make ours at about 48" wide unless requested to be wider. That width lets me lay on my side and have coverage front and back to my shoulder that I am laying on.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    IMO you cannot compare a sleeping bag with a TQ. A sleeping bag is like a tube and if its zipped you won’t get exposed on the sides no matter how much you move. Not so with a TQ. In the head end it’s like a blanket and it can slide of if you move around. I also think most like the option to tuck it under the body to lock it in place, I do. For ground use its often recommended to use a wide model because you don’t have the side insulation you get from an UQ.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

I had not thought about side sleeping, thanks. That makes sense.

Snowball - I have my sleeping bag open just like a quilt, only diff being the hood.

I do want enough to tuck in nice and tight. 44 allows me to do that but probably won't do so if I sleep on my side at all which I occasionally do. I've been using it in the house for the last few weeks.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    I have a 0*F quilt I made which is shaped. At it's widest it is 48", and I don't think I'd want to go much narrower. I'm 5'9" and 150lbs.

Mostly, you want material so you can tuck it under you to seal it, and keep it in place. You also want enough material that you can roll around in it and not expose yourself.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I'm the same height, but wider than you. My mummy bag that I use as a quilt is 60 wide at the shoulders, and I find it too wide. I've tried a few quilts, and I'm planning a quilt build. 55" seems right for for me. You being the same height, but 40lbs lighter I'd think 50"would be right for you. I'm also a restless sleeper though, and I roll over a lot. If you sleep like a log and never move I could see narrower.

Images
    Mostly in case you sleep on side so it will cover both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewguy View Post
    I see the standard quilt width is 50" at the top and 55" or so for a wide size. I'm getting ready to make one for myself and I think that seems way too big.

my sleeping bag is 56 or 58" and that is huge, way too much fabric to manage in the hammock, it's a real hassle. It is always half falling out.

I'm 5'11" 185lbs and I tried out my daughters quilt which is 44", that actually seemed about perfect, I can wrap it around my shoulders and have room to move my legs if I want my knee bent.

Is the extra width in case you need to lay on the ground?

Aside from weight and cost of a bigger quilt I'm also worried the thing is going to be hard to handle.

This one is for indoor and summer use, shooting for about 45 degree. Sewn through 1.5" loft.

For sew through is there a best width for each chamber? I'm assuming fairly wide so the cold spots are minimized.

Thanks.
    Made one micro sized quilt years ago that did not work out and I ended up scrapping it. Now I make them the size they should be mostly unless I screw up. A few extra oz doesnt matter.

I think it was Tim marshal that said the correct quilt width width is to put your arms down by your sides, have someone measure around your arms at about chest ht.

The footbox and section that forms the tube at the feet should be wide enough to allow some movement and allow you to figure 4 your legs without constraint.

In only in a Hammock if sleeping always on your back then IMO they can be more narrow, but if you are on the ground and a flip flop or side sleeper and especially if you scrunch up and stick your butt out like I do you need a good bit more width farther down. Been building mine sort of thin hex shaped for more coverage.

Also if you sleep on the ground ever you want the edges to tuck under a pad which takes more width.

If you tuck say a Xtherm pad inside the footbox then the footbox needs to be a bit larger.

My rule now is you can always trim to make smaller but not visa versa.

That said even though I try to stick to that rule I just made a drawcord footbox summer quilt / sarape from climashield and argon and its a little too short so I am debating if I should add a regular shallow footbox.
    Last edited by tammons; 01-13-2016 at 17:28.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Kavelar/dynema
    In a Hammock the UQ covers the lower sides you only need 45-48" wide for a Hammock TQ. Now as for Ground Dwellers a wider TQ is needed for side sleepers. Some manufactures don't distinguish between Hammock and ground.

Great tips. My concern is that my new quilt would be as akward as the sleeping bag. I'll shoot for 48 to 50. I was thinking no taper on the foot box. Would give basically a 12" square.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast