Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have an old rag mountain down to 21 degrees and it will easily handle lower temps.

Images
    I think maybe that MWUQ4 is going to be the hands down winner for a manufactured quilt, though I don't really know what all other high end manufacturers, like Nunatak, might offer in a quilt. Is any one else offering a quilt with minimum rated 4" loft single layer? And in my sample at least, I would say that the 4" is a conservative rating.

A Feathered Friends minus 10 bag has 8" double layer loft.

But of course, this is only considering the MWUQ's loft, and that -10 Feathered Friends rating is for a hooded, draft free sleeping bag. We all know the extra challenges that must be accounted for with quilts, plus a thick hood would be needed to even compete. And for that matter, how is the MWUQ as a TOP quilt? I know it is superb as an UQ, but what about size issues for a TQ and blocking drafts? I have never experimented with it in that fashion. But when just looking at loft, it is probably a top contender.
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    thanks to all for the brainstorming! i think after mulling it over and over I'll probably just use two of what I've already got, combining a Nunatak Ghost or Edge with the Arc Alpinist. I have to cringe at the weight of the Alpinist-Ghost combo=38 ounces but the good is 4.5inches of total loft and that may be a little conservative. At least for this trip I have good chances of pulkpulling.

Hammock
    Clark n150
    Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Images
    Can someone tell me what it feels like to sleep with a quilt as opposed to a sleeping bag....does it get drafty at the sides or feet because of the opening? Is using an UQ that is made and shaped to be an UQ a funny shape or uncomfortable shape to use it as a top quilt? Are the quilts shorter than sleeping bags and does it make a difference? Is it differnet to use one in a hammock than on the ground?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    would another one not work as a TQ?
    Yes! No reason why an UQ cannot be used as a TQ. The Nest (~2.5") has kept me warm down into the low 20*F. Just guessing that the MW4 (~4" loft) as a top quilt would easily get you into at least the lower teens.

At least for use in a hammock personally have had no issues with a TQ being drafty. The hole if an issue can easily "plugged" with any spare clothing. It's not much of a hole to begin with. The JRB uq are rectangular when opened. Some models with differential cut like a quality sleeping bag. The shape does not make it uncomfortable. More comfort if you don't like the confining feeling of a tighter cut mummy bag. I'm short so the ~77" length is not a problem. You do need head protection for cold nights. From a simple knit cap to insulated balaclava. If it's that cold I'm hauling around a hooded parka for sit down time that doubles up as sleep wear.
    Last edited by koaloha05; 11-21-2009 at 16:04.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sleeping with a quilt when camping is a lot like sleeping with one at home. It's a blanket. Only it has a footbox to keep your feet snuggled inside. At home, a blanket that's too narrow will give you drafts...just like a quilt that's too narrow will in the woods. But if your quilt fits, you'll save a lot of weight. 48" wide is great for a hammock for most folks, though some bigger people might want a wider one. 48" can be used on the ground but many people want a wider quilt for ground use.

MM - I've used my MWUQ4 w/ JRB hood as a top quilt in single digits a few nights now. Works great and will probably be my go-to top quilt for the foreseeable future. The only drawback is that it's so lofty that I breathe more directly onto it, but any big poofy quilt will likely have that problem. The MWUQ is the warmest quilt I've ever used, especially when used with JRB's hood...I bet the Nunatak is the next competitor, though.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    MM - I've used my MWUQ4 w/ JRB hood as a top quilt in single digits a few nights now.
    do you find 42" sufficiently wide?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    WhoopieSling/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    do you find 42" sufficiently wide?
    Are you working on a new product that needs testing?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I've used the JRB quilts on the ground. It's easier to stay warm in a hammock with it, but if you get to the point that you can tuck in sides in your sleep, the ground sleeping is not hard. I am thinking of adding quilt wings to make it easier to keep tucked, should my ground sleeping endeavors continue to be a percentage of my camping.... Still using the hammock most nights tho.

I also have a Ray Way that I made on purpose to be quite a bit wider than even the standard Ray Way... dead easy to sleep on the ground with it. But it's bulky as heck. Two 3 season down quilts take up less space.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe SUL
    Insulation
    JRB MWUQ3
    While we are on the topic, if someone had both a MW3 and MW4 which would you recommend to use as the UQ and TQ to get maximum warmth? I'm rather new to this - joined the hanging world this summer while on an AT section hike. I'd love to take my set-up into colder territory.