WBBB XLC, DUTCHWARE, ETC...
    Tarp
    HG WP/Standard
    Insulation
    HG INCUBATOR/PHOEN
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Cinch

Helios Suspension Issue...

I've been testing out the ENO Helios suspension and want to make you aware of what I consider to be a design issue that can make them a little difficult to set up. Because the whoopie is actually attached to the end of the tree strap itself, you can really have a problem with setting them up unless you are hanging to a tree that is of a perfect size. Because they are attached to the end of the strap and, therefore, not adjustable up and down the length of the strap, they are either too long or too short most times and require some major fiddling around to get them right. You can make them work correctly, however, you will have to modify their design. I would recommend going with a standard whoopie suspension instead of the Helios if you intend to use a whoopie suspension. It will set up faster and with less fiddling. If I'm looking at this wrong or if you have better ideas on this setup, please let me know.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Winter Dream 13'
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 quilts
    Suspension
    Tree strap/Buckles
    I think dutch had a similar set up. I think when you have something like this you need to use the same distance from tree to tree.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    This video makes it look like they are 4 or 5 ft. straps, which should be fine for the Northeast (we clear cut every tree from Florida to Maine last century so the trees aren't that big).

If you need the straps to be longer, carry a couple of Amsteel continuous loops to add to the loop on the straps. That's what I do with my 4 ft. straps and Dutch Whoopie Hook suspension. I personally don't think the bury is long enough - looks like it's only about 4 inches.

Here's the Dutch Whoopie Hook suspension, which also has the whoopie attached to the straps (I use the one on the right). I've been using the Dutch Whoopie Hook suspension (with whoopie attached to the strap loop) ever since they came out three or four years ago and I like it. I can't stand the marlin spike hitch, and the Whoopie Hook is also a water break.

Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 01-16-2016 at 18:39.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG WP/Standard
    Insulation
    HG INCUBATOR/PHOEN
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Cinch
    Good idea on the amsteel extension. You're right about the bury. It's only about 4 inches long. Mine is already starting to show signs of wear at the bury, although truthfully, I'm pushing it's listed weight limit.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    So much tongue bitting. It hurts, it hurts!
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG WP/Standard
    Insulation
    HG INCUBATOR/PHOEN
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    So much tongue bitting. It hurts, it hurts!
    You're in a 'safe zone' here in this thread... Let 'er fly...

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmark View Post
    You're in a 'safe zone' here in this thread... Let 'er fly...
    As much as I would love to tear into everything wrong with the suspension and miss information the backountry edge has posted about it in their vid that silver posted I can not here. Part of the vendor terms of use is to not bash other vendors products. Let's just say as the vendor that has produced Whoopie slings for hammocks longer for sale longer than any other I urge caution to anyone that uses those slings.
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG WP/Standard
    Insulation
    HG INCUBATOR/PHOEN
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Cinch
    As much as I would love to tear into everything wrong with the suspension and miss information the backountry edge has posted about it in their vid that silver posted I can not here. Part of the vendor terms of use is to not bash other vendors products. Let's just say as the vendor that has produced Whoopie slings for hammocks longer for sale longer than any other I urge caution to anyone that uses those slings.
    I do not disagree with you one bit. I had bought them before I realized that there were any other options available (I hadn't found hammock forums yet). I have since "found the light" and currently use what I consider to be much better gear ordered from several of the cottage vendors on this site. It's obvious to me now that you can get much better equipment for the same or cheaper price. I just didn't know better at the time. Anyway, for those considering purchasing this suspension, I wanted to give them my opinion on them since I have had practical experience with them.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    I'm not a vendor so I have no such restrictions. Here are the things I see wrong with the video and system.

1. ENO did not take anything to the next level, they are way behind when it comes to hammock innovation and are merely biting off of the innovations that were spawned mostly right here.

2. That is a pretty short bury, not so sure I'd trust it.

3.The weight limit should not be 300lbs. Now I'm no physics major, or minor, or know the first thing about it really, but when you consider that people hang at such varied angles (not everyone hangs at, or knows about 30*) then you are putting people at risk by using a line that can only handle 50% of the load you rate the system for. If someone strings it up tight then they will be putting more than 150lbs of force on each of those lines. Seems to me that the weight rating should only be 150lbs. My dynaglide is rated for 200lbs per line, I would not put 400lbs on it. If I'm wrong here somebody please correct me.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Your not wrong here SwinginIt.

You do not combine the lines rating because if hung at 30° then the lines each bear the full weight load.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast