Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DH Sparrow or BB XLC for taller people?

Sorry in advance for posing an existing topic on the forum but I couldn't find this specific information covered.

I'm 6'4", 250 lbs. and currently use a Dutch netless 11' while camping. Love the lightweight and small packability of the Dutch and will continue to use it when no net or cover is needed but I'm going to get something with integrated net for summer camping here in the Ozarks. I think the Dream Hammock Sparrow/Thunderbird or Blackbird XLC may give an even better lay with the asym style.

Pretty sure I can't go wrong with either but I'm leaning towards the Sparrow because of the wider widths possible...up to about 70" I believe. I'm not sure how significant the footbox is on the XLC and wondering if any of you taller campers have experience with either or possibly both?

I'm aware of the high configurability and longer lead time for the DH but I've got time before my next outing so it's not really a factor in my decision.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC and WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly and WD 13
    Insulation
    JRB HG AHE Lynx
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I'm 6'4 220 and love my XLC! I'm sure the DH is awesome as well but haven't tried one. The width on my XLC is more than adequate and I'm able to get a good diagonal lay in it> There are a lot of threads on hanging the XLC if you go that route, happy hanging

How's the calf ridge?

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    I am 6'5" 315 and laid in a DH Sparrow this weekend. It was fantastic. I have no experience with the XLC, but based just off of my time in the Sparrow I'd buy one tomorrow.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I'm 6' and 230 and have a sparrow. I got the 2.2 hex70 outer with 1.6 hyper D wide inner. I think the final width is 66". I have plenty of room left over after getting into my comfy spot. I'm pretty sure it could easily fit someone 6'4''. minimal calf ridge (had to look up what that is) and no wall of fabric in my face on either side. I can lay nice and flat and even turn completely on my side very comfortably. it's my first camping gathered end so no experience with other brands. the thing is spacious but it isn't floppy anywhere. i really like it a lot. 20151127_113523.jpg I hope it shows in the pic, but there is plenty of fabric for me to unfurl a bit for more width. hope this helps.
    Last edited by JmBoh; 01-19-2016 at 16:01.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Thanks for the feedback guys! Looks like we have the Arkansas hang in March where I could potentially try some of these out but don't know if I can wait that long!

Hammock
    WB BB-lefty-xlc & BB-normal
    Tarp
    WB Superfly,
    Insulation
    EE-Top,Yeti-Bottom
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie/Clip
    Quote Originally Posted by Txjnorris View Post
    ...wondering if any of you taller campers have experience with either...
    Hi Tx, Tall here, my only experience is with the xlc... plenty long and roomy for me...love the footbox..I don't think you could go wrong with either as you rightly discerned... Love the ozarks, camped at Haw Creek Falls last fall..deserted.

I have a XLC. Great hammock but I'm not all that big.

Because you have a netless hammock and thinking that maybe the net on the new one will probably stay on all the time (?), have you looked at the RoamingGnome? That's a DangerBird with net only. The net doesn't come off but stores nicely at the foot end for going topless. You can add extra zipper slides to have your regular in-and-out with slides that meet anywhere you want them to along the side(s). If you want to be able to remove the net and put an overcover on then, yes, the Sparrow is a great choice. Not only do you get fabric width choices but color choices as well.

The XLC has the footbox and shelf that are great. It also has a slightly annoying zipper.

They're both great vendors that turn out extremely well-made hammocks.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JmBoh View Post
    I'm 6' and 230 and have a sparrow. I got the 2.2 hex70 outer with 1.6 hyper D wide inner. I think the final width is 66". I have plenty of room left over after getting into my comfy spot. I'm pretty sure it could easily fit someone 6'4''. minimal calf ridge (had to look up what that is) and no wall of fabric in my face on either side. I can lay nice and flat and even turn completely on my side very comfortably.
    I'm 5'10 and my 11' Sparrow is 58˝" wide and I am just touching the wall and feeling a bit of outer foot pressure, especially with the net or overcover zipped in place. For anyone taller I'd definitely do like JmBob and go for a 70" fabric and a finished width wider than 60". How much wider I have no idea.

I can make the calf ridge completely disappear with careful pitching. Hit the 30° suspension sweet spot and leave just a little ridgeline slack (enough to twist to 45° with your fingers) and I've never had a calf ridge.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    DIY,Dream and Dutch
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, HG ,AHE
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have a Dream Hammock Dangerbird in hyperD XL thats close to 70" wide and a Dream Hammock Freebird in 2.2 Hex70 at about 66 wide and find the 70" to be too wide (fabric/net flapping in my face) but the 66 width seems a perfect size.I also have a few other hammocks of "normal" width and find them a little binding at my head and feet.(I am 6'3 and 250.)All of them are 11 ft length.I would also give a big recommendation to any hammock from the Smurfs,first rate build,service,ect.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast