Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    If you want to see how the mountain tops look like now go to Mount Le Cont web page and you can see the view from live cam.
    http://www.nature.nps.gov/air/webcam.../grsmpkcam.cfm

I would plan a low level trip and first go to the road closer schedule as a lot of the small access roads are closed from Nov thru March

Quote Originally Posted by Canoefor2 View Post
    If you want to see how the mountain tops look like now go to Mount Le Cont web page and you can see the view from live cam.
    http://www.nature.nps.gov/air/webcam.../grsmpkcam.cfm

I would plan a low level trip and first go to the road closer schedule as a lot of the small access roads are closed from Nov thru March

Thanks for the link, I was looking at the webcams. Snowfall amounts seem hard to judge by the view, I've seen quite a few videos of snowy conditions and the trails were still ok.

Is the main issue with road closings to trailheads?

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    Yes, like this past week they closed from the cade code side to sugarland visitor station and cafes code. They are now open but the higher elevation Spurs which get to trail heads are close as well.

I'm liking the looks of a Maddron Bald 3 day loop, which starts at Cosby campground.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    If you are thinking about looping up Snake Den Ridge Trail with that loop, know that it is pretty steep and gains a good bit of elevation--strong possibility of snowy or icy conditions on it; might need traction devices of some kind. Guessing you would be using CS 29 and CS 34. Be sure not to miss Albright Cove on that trip--beautiful big old trees up there. If you hike down to Hen Wallow Falls, it's on the north side of the ridge and will also have a strong possibility of some icy conditions. +1 on checking the GSMNP website for closures; they had the access road to Cosby Campground closed the other day following the storm.
    Les Rust
    "My goal is to live long enough to become a character."

Quote Originally Posted by Les Rust View Post
    If you are thinking about looping up Snake Den Ridge Trail with that loop, know that it is pretty steep and gains a good bit of elevation--strong possibility of snowy or icy conditions on it; might need traction devices of some kind. Guessing you would be using CS 29 and CS 34. Be sure not to miss Albright Cove on that trip--beautiful big old trees up there. If you hike down to Hen Wallow Falls, it's on the north side of the ridge and will also have a strong possibility of some icy conditions. +1 on checking the GSMNP website for closures; they had the access road to Cosby Campground closed the other day following the storm.

Thanks for the info Les,

Yes, planning on #29 and 34.

We plan to bring some Yaktraks, and I'm looking forward to steep! Its a few weeks out yet, and the weather could do anything as usual. Will just have to hope for decent weather prior to keep the roads in ok shape.

Just an update, we decided on the Mt Sterling loop- Big creek trail to camp 37, swallow fork to camp 38, and baxter creek out. Weathers looking to be a wee chilly (20's for lows in town), but we have the gear for it, it should be a great time. Will be sure to post a report!

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by binfordw View Post
    Just an update, we decided on the Mt Sterling loop- Big creek trail to camp 37, swallow fork to camp 38, and baxter creek out. Weathers looking to be a wee chilly (20's for lows in town), but we have the gear for it, it should be a great time. Will be sure to post a report!
    Enjoy it!
    I just did that route this past weekend.
    Assuming the water levels are about the same, you'll have a couple creeks to cross, neither of which were bad. One I was able to find a tree and cross; the other I had to wade through.
    Water for Sterling is .4 down the Baxter trail - no issue getting from there other than it meant more downhill / uphill.
    Views were fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Enjoy it!
    I just did that route this past weekend.
    Assuming the water levels are about the same, you'll have a couple creeks to cross, neither of which were bad. One I was able to find a tree and cross; the other I had to wade through.
    Water for Sterling is .4 down the Baxter trail - no issue getting from there other than it meant more downhill / uphill.
    Views were fantastic.
    Did you climb the fire tower by any chance? I've had that loop on my mind just to climb the fire tower and get some photos. I'll probably shoot more for spring to have more greenery, although you have rainout possibilities.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    Did you climb the fire tower by any chance? I've had that loop on my mind just to climb the fire tower and get some photos. I'll probably shoot more for spring to have more greenery, although you have rainout possibilities.
    Spring will be nice. The creeks are beautiful and the fire tower is worth it IMO. I went up the firetower three times - sunset, after dark & sunrise. Sunrise was cooold.. I took about 3 pics & had to put my glove back on. I'll post my trip video once I get some time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast