No more 1.9oz ripstop at Walmart?

Hello everyone....long time reader, but first time poster.

First off, thank you to everyone for all of the info posted here....I have been reading for sometime, and I think I have been bitten by the DIY bug! I am a big guy (300 pounds) and am interested in making my own hammock, and after using the search feature, I have decided to "over-engineer" it so it will hold well over 300 pounds without a problem. I am more concerned about it holding me than I am about the weight issue. Heavier hammock means I will lose more weight faster humping it over hills, and then I won't have the weight concerns anyway......ANYWAY......

I have decided on 1.9oz ripstop nylon for the body (of course), but I am going to use a double layer, hemmed together for the extra strength (sound good so far?). I already have 2" webbing for tree straps, and cord rated at 2200 lbs or so for attaching from webbing to hammock. Bugnet-check, tarp-check, not worried about a quilt yet....want to see how everything turns out first.

Ok, now the question is....where is all of this wonderful 1.9oz ripstop for $1 per yard everyone is talking about. I have been to three Walmart stores in Michigan, and cannot find it for the life of me. Is this a regional item, or a seasonal item? Sorry for the long post for an quick question....just trying to save myself some cash upfront for more DIY projects in the future. Any help is appreciated, and thanks again for all of the great ideas!

Mike

Images
    It is really hit or miss. Sometimes I come across some, most times I don't. The trick is to try different stores. I think some get more than others.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Wal-Mart is toying with the idea of closing their fabric departments all together. Right now they are having their big stock holders meeting down the street from me, and thats where they will discuss it a little more fully. The way I hear it is that some stores will keep their departments and others will keep it.

Their $1/yard fabric is really hit and miss, the $1 comes in bulk shipments and some has ripstop and others don't. So, keep checking and they (hopefully) will get it in. I have to drive to around 4-5 different stores, but I am in the thick of Wal-Mart Terrritory, so I don't have to drive long.

Do you have a color preference? I can get you some and ship it to you, it shouldn't be that much to ship it to you.

Anyway... Welcome to the site
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Images
    It seems to run in spurts - a lot of ripstop for a while and then none for months. Keep trying.

Thanks a lot for all of the advise! People seem to be really friendly on this site as opposed to some other sites I have been on....very refreshing!

Preacha Man:
    No I do not have a color preference....olive or black is nice, basically anything but bright pink ya know? If you don't mind checking for me, and tell me what color options I have, I would be obliged to you!

Mike

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Like others have said it's hit and miss. Ripstop and DWR ripstop are actually pretty common if your Walmart still has a fabric dept. Silnylon is extremely hard to come by. Just keep checking back and some should turn up before long.

and welcome to the forum.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    I know that I can get you quite a bit of an olive DWR ripstop that feels to be 1.1 ounce, but I could be wrong. I also can get at least 15 yards of a navy blue 1.9 ounce ripstop. The blue is what I made my newest hammock from and you can see it in my pics.
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

WHOO HOOOOO!

Thanks a lot Preacha Man! If its not too much trouble, I could use 8 yards of the OD green and 8 yards of the blue. How much for all of that plus your time?

Mike

Hammock
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    I checked last night, and I have to drive to the store in Bentonville. I will be gone to church camp all this week so it will be 1 1/2 weeks before I can go get it. Let me make sure I can get the blue before I give you a price. Its no problem, I'm just glad that I can help, I'll let you know in a few weeks.

Hey thanks again Preacha Man! Hope you have a great time on your trip!

• + New Posts