Hammock Bliss
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling

REI Suspension line

What would be a good suspension line to get from REI?
    Anything but webbing.

http://www.rei.com/search?search=rop...t=query%2Crope
    Don't let up until you hear cartilage snap, or they crap in their pants. Sal Bandini

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    7/64 amsteel in a variety of colors...... made up in a whoopie sling.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    6mm accessory cord is strong enough but I strongly urge you to keep far away from all of those ropes in that REI search for hammock suspension. They're all nylon, and make for horrible hanging. I've used 6mm accessory cord for a long time because it was readily available - it's plenty strong, but miserable to hang with. The stretch is ridiculous. And because it's nylon, it will resume original length when the load is removed... night after night after night. You'll either have to tie to the tree well above your reach, or end up on the ground by morning.

Since you referenced REI, you're probably looking to get something there. If you can find something that's not nylon, and still doesn't stretch, go for it. If you don't mind going elsewhere for line...

Arrowhead Equipment (check the vendors sub-forum) sells 1/8th Amsteel by the foot. It doesn't stretch, weighs very little, and is good to 2500lbs.

If whoopie slings are for you, check with Arrowhead or with Opie. If not, just get the line itself and do what you want with it.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    SC is right there are lots of cheaper and better options than anything you will find at REI or the likes. The rope they sell is for climbing and not for the type of application we are talking about for a hammock suspension, yes it is plenty strong but it is just made for a different purpose.

There are lots of good alternatives that are available from many of the vendors that participate here at HF. Whether you go with a rope or webbing based system you want something that is not going to stretch like a climbing nylon rope or webbing.

Paul
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    The rest of the gang is right, nylon rope used for climbing is intended to stretch. Avoid it. Get ya some Amsteel from Arrrowhead. I just got 50' of it for less than $16, shipping included. I may have some extra if you're interested in it. I'll even make a set of Whoopie Slings for you, if you like. PM me to let me know if you're interested.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    ... The rope they sell is for climbing and not for the type of application we are talking about for a hammock suspension, yes it is plenty strong but it is just made for a different purpose....
    Just to nit-picky, REI sells caving rope too. Not the same as climbing rope at all. Climbing rope is woven to be stretchy ("dynamic"), while caving rope is not (it is "static"). This is because in climbing, you climb up (above your anchors), and the rope needs to stretch to catch you safely in a fall. Otherwise, it could literally tear you in half, or worse. Whereas, in caving, you are climbing down and need the rope to catch you right away. I know of a case in a 440' cave, where a 10% rope stretch bounced a caver off the bottom a few times when he stepped off a ledge 400' from the top (and 40' from the bottom)! YMMV.

Anyway, the advice in this thread is good for hammocking. You want "static" lines, for sure. And yes, the material (nylon) affects the stretch, just as the weave pattern does.

There's a LOT to know about lines and rigging. YIKES!

Rain Man

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Rain man is right a caving rope is made to be static. They still do have some give and stretch. Not neerly what the dynamic climbing lines would have but still some. And more when they get wet too (think rain) but they are normaly at least 10-12mm were as a amsteel line is 2.x - 3 mm so the bulk is far less the weight is a fraction of the caving ropes and is available by the foot rather than buying a hole rope (150-200 feet) to get a few pices off of it.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    I work at REI and know our stores by-the-foot cordage selection intimately. Pretty much all of it is nylon, and while some are less stretch-prone than others, all are going to offer a substantial amount of stretch compared to polyester or polypropylene.

It may not be the answer you're looking for, but strapworks.com is probably the best source out there for suspension systems using webbing. I use their polypropylene 1" webbing and my hangs are MUCH better than they used to be. I'm basically the same height above ground in the morning as when I went to sleep the night before.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    I work at REI and know our stores by-the-foot cordage selection intimately. Pretty much all of it is nylon, and while some are less stretch-prone than others, all are going to offer a substantial amount of stretch compared to polyester or polypropylene.

It may not be the answer you're looking for, but strapworks.com is probably the best source out there for suspension systems using webbing. I use their polypropylene 1" webbing and my hangs are MUCH better than they used to be. I'm basically the same height above ground in the morning as when I went to sleep the night before.
    Thank you very much for the information. You just saved me valuable time and money.
    Don't let up until you hear cartilage snap, or they crap in their pants. Sal Bandini

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    do you guys not have a non-stretch cordalette line like new england spyderline or techcord or any of that stuff. i know i've bought a technora double braid that was sold specifically as cordalette.

can't go wrong with amsteel blue though.

• + New Posts