Thread: taper

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG incubators and

taper

Is there a negative to having a top quilt with no taper vs with taper other than weight?

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    The more empty space, the more heat is lost by your body warming it up, so tapered quilts are warmer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    DW HALF-WIT
    Tarp
    OES G4
    Insulation
    EE, HG PHOENIX
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I get no taper in a summer quilt for more foot space.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG incubators and
    Ok,understand the warmer part. Was looking at a 55" wide with no taper on a 0 degree quilt. Specifically as a double duty tq and warm extra blanket to carry as second layer form my wife and I in a tent. Thought the no taper would make it more useful as a blanket. Maybe adding over stuff in the foot box would help.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Billcole View Post
    Ok,understand the warmer part. Was looking at a 55" wide with no taper on a 0 degree quilt. Specifically as a double duty tq and warm extra blanket to carry as second layer form my wife and I in a tent. Thought the no taper would make it more useful as a blanket. Maybe adding over stuff in the foot box would help.
    Car camping or backpacking? Tapered quilts are also lighter than a similar rectangular quilt so anyone who backpacks prefers them.

Jacks R Better make some large, "mild" taper down quilts that are rated for 0° and big enough for 2 if you get real close. Check the Katahdin: http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/the...n-large-quilt/. Or single quilts that can be put together. They have other options if you poke around the site.

Also see the sale Paul has going on at Arrowhead Equipment for his new Alpine Blanket if you'll take synthetic insulation: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ne-Blanket-AHE
    Last edited by Grumpy Squatch; 01-27-2016 at 20:56. Reason: Added Arrowhead link.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Squatch View Post
    Car camping or backpacking? Tapered quilts are also lighter than a similar rectangular quilt so anyone who backpacks prefers them.

Jacks R Better make some large, "mild" taper down quilts that are rated for 0° and big enough for 2 if you get real close. Check the Katahdin: http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/the...n-large-quilt/. Or single quilts that can be put together. They have other options if you poke around the site.

Also see the sale Paul has going on at Arrowhead Equipment for his new Alpine Blanket if you'll take synthetic insulation: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ne-Blanket-AHE
    The weight difference isn't a lot. I did the math on my 55x76 20degree quilt I just finished. 1/2 Taper from 55" down to 45" was 20.5 no taper was 22oz. I made the compromise to carry the extra ounce and a half when backpacking, so that my wife would have a bigger quilt when tent camping. I seem to have similar concerns to you.

It also doesn't hurt that the down math came out a lot neater per baffle.

I also was willing to take the warmth ding, since I am almost never out when it's 20degrees.

One drawback is keeping it in your hammock. The more taper, the better behaved it is.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG incubators and
    Thanks, From what I have noticed the difference is usually only and ounce or two. The bigger concern would be warmth. I would add and 2 ounces to compensate.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG incubators and
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    One drawback is keeping it in your hammock. The more taper, the better behaved it is.

thanks, would not have thought of that.

• + New Posts