Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images

DIY Lamzac Hangout - HEX70XL

There's been a lot of Hype about the Lamzac hangout, and I wanted to answer the question: What's the best DIY material for it? After lots of small scale testing, HEX70 XL PU3000 looked like the best option.

Part of what makes the Lamzac hangout work so well is it's shape. While I wasn't able to perfectly replicate the shape, I did achieve the overall effect. It's shaped like a butt on it's cross section. The "cheeks" spread out on the bottom to distribute the load, preventing it from rolling. And on the top, the "cheeks" are what hold you preventing you from rolling out. Other than that, it's a giant dry bag.

I used Hex70 PU3000 for this. It's bombproof, and I knew from small scale testing it'd hold me and my kid together (combined weight of 300lbs)

Cuts can be seen in the following image on the lower left. You need 2 of them, and I opted to do them back to back in one continious piece of fabric, meaning there is no seam on the skinny end of the finished project. .
    12592708_593270834175513_3475346878648635124_n.jpg

I then sewed all the edges, the curves and finished off the open end with 1" webbing and a side release buckle. Just like a dry bag. I seam sealed the entire thing with Seamgrip. .. and waited.

I turned it right side out (so the curves are on the inside) waved it around in the wind, and sealed up the end.

Unfortunately, the finished item did not have that pronounced "crack" that it needed to prevent the entire thing from rolling, or to prevent me from rolling out. It did both, often at the same time, and usually with comedic results.

Rather than admit defeat, I took inspiration from a corset of all things. Turned it inside out once again, and sewed a series of grosgrain tabs on the inside. Then threaded shock cord between them like this sketch:
    2a15c47c-0c96-4e08-9020-228202eeee3c.jpg

Then result was this:
    IMG_0905.JPG

Not perfect...A little over inflated.. But how would it lay?

IMG_0926.JPG

Really well actually. And much to my surprise, even in 30° weather... It was warm. It held me just fine for the hour long.. test I subjected it to (it was a nap, ok?)

So to everyone looking to make one of these "Lawn couches" Hex 70 is great for it. It inflates well, and is really strong enough to take abuse.

I deflated the couch a bit, and set it up in the living room. I figured my kid would claim it and mush into it like a beanbag chair... But I was wrong. For the last 8 hours, it's been my dog in it more than anything. She's clawed at it, jumped in it, dragged it across the house, and chewed on it a little. And it's still holding air.

IMG_0969.JPG
    (That is a 50lb Lab/Coonhound mix, lost in a sea of fabric)

Materials used:

6 Yards HEX 70 (I had about a 1/2 yard left)
    Seam Grip
    1/2" Grosgrain
    1" Webbing
    1x Side release buckle
    shock cord
    1x cord lock.

Finished weight: 1lb 12oz (Stated weight on the Lamzac Hangout is 1.2kg, or 42 ounces) A weight savings of 14 ounces

Things I'd change: Obviously figure out how to make the crack a little better.. Lacing the shock cord did the trick, but it doesn't look as good as it should. However, I can open it up, and change the tension on the cord allowing me to customize the lay of it more.

I used 1" Nylon webbing. It'd choose something a little stiffer (like the 1500lb poly webbing) It would help keep the end closed.

Overall.. A very easy project. If you can sew a rolled hem, you can make one of these. The hardest part is waiting for the seam sealer to cure.

If you have any questions, ask away
    Last edited by hk2001; 01-27-2016 at 21:38.

Hammock
    Thunderbird 11ft
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    This looks great and I will be trying it out soon!
    Puppy love melts even a cold heart

Looks pretty fun - getting some ideas for pool furniture.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I applaud you, big time! I really like it.

Please report back on how well it does on an all-night below 30! It would fit under a hammock tarp, so why not??? You have no-trees-needed hammock comfort.

How small does this thing pack? The weight is very respectable and inline w/a hammock, suspension, and underquilt setup.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    These look awesome for camping and or a place to sit at the beach. I wonder how long it will be before we see a flood of knockoffs coming out of China/Korea??

My daughter was running around with a silpoly stuff sack this morning which was inflating in a similar way - gave me an idea. Has anybody tried this method of construction for an air pillow? You could multipurpose a drysack as an air pillow at night. Not sure if it's anymore or less comfortable than just stuffing clothes in a stuffsack, but I might give it a try.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    There used to be a few places that sold "soft sided" drybags. I have one somewhere that's EMS Branded. Specifically made to use as an airfilled pillow.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Well done man, that looks super comfy. Thanks for sharing.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    DIY Hyper D 1.1 gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I have some supplies on the way for this same project, but I was going a different route. I believe the lamzac contains a plastic bladder on the inside and the ripstop exterior is not the primary air bladder.
    I will post my results/ideas in here after my first full prototype is created. I had a DIY thread in the paid section, but it didn't get much chatter.

Awesome work!

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by corrumpu View Post
    I have some supplies on the way for this same project, but I was going a different route. I believe the lamzac contains a plastic bladder on the inside and the ripstop exterior is not the primary air bladder.
    I will post my results/ideas in here after my first full prototype is created. I had a DIY thread in the paid section, but it didn't get much chatter.

Awesome work!
    Interested to see how yours turns out. They do use a plastic liner, but the shell is also listed as waterproof, so not sure what their thought is. i don't see why you need a waterproof she'll if you're using the liner.
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast