Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images

Peapod supplier vs diy

Interested in the peapod for assisting in low winter temperatures. Mostly gonna be using it car camping or in my homemade Hammock shelter out back. If I'm correct I only see one company that makes the peapod and they are around $400. To cut cost was thinking of making my own from a used bag on EBay. Any pros and cons? Any certain kind of bag (regular or military)? And would synthetic be better than down because of it possibly being tight or compressed? Just a few of my thoughts. Appreciate any info.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'd check out the DIY path - $400 is a lot for something only good for one season. Compression, to my knowledge, has nothing to do with synthetic versus down - compression is compression.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    I have looked at a winter peapod system and couldn't justify the cost for the need either. I know UGQ has longer underquilts and you can ask for I heavier down fill, larger baffle UQ. I call it the arctic zeppelin. good to -25F. have had mine for 3-4 years now and the wife has one as well. been super warm with the coldest night for me being -50ish. I was thinking a few months back that a pod system would be nice and not to take away from these awesome cottage vendors(email or call some and see if they will make them) I would go synthetic and I think wiggy's out of Colorado would make them custom, at least a few years ago when I was checking into them. I have their ultima thule sleeping bag system, -40F rated and super warm in it. I imagine if hey made a pod system it would be to warm for me at times

Hammock
    Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    I do not have this so am not speaking from experience, but am looking at Snugpak's Cocoon. Seems to be available on Amazon or Vermont Army Navy for around $65

hammock_full_system.jpg

I few things I have read: Snugpak supplies British military(?)so may not be some no name vendor. It is big. It is a bit heavy, even compared to other synthetics. To me it seems much simpler than tweaking an under quilt. It is cheap. Some people report issues with tearing but there are not instructions with it and these people may be attaching loops inappropriately.

Heck, for less than $200 total you can add their under blanket and top quilt.

It is cheap; and due to zero experience this advise is cheap too! ;<)

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    Thanks, will check out the options for DIY. Hard to believe others like Stormcrow and Enlightened have not entertained making something along the lines. I would think it wouldn't be much harder than the Quilts and underquilts they make already but who knows.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    I have a pee pod and it is awesome but look up Shug's videos and he has a diy pod using a sleeping bag that seems to work great for him.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Diy shouldn't be too hard. You just need to cut a hole in the foot and hem it around,. You also prolly need to cut another hole below the hood on the head end. Still easy peasy compared to a lot of diy projects.

Down is much better than synthetic for compression. Down compresses smaller, and survives repeated compression much better than synthetics.
    (Not to mention weight savings for higher fill power down.)

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by stryder View Post
    I do not have this so am not speaking from experience, but am looking at Snugpak's Cocoon. Seems to be available on Amazon or Vermont Army Navy for around $65

hammock_full_system.jpg

I few things I have read: Snugpak supplies British military(?)so may not be some no name vendor. It is big. It is a bit heavy, even compared to other synthetics. To me it seems much simpler than tweaking an under quilt. It is cheap. Some people report issues with tearing but there are not instructions with it and these people may be attaching loops inappropriately.

Heck, for less than $200 total you can add their under blanket and top quilt.

It is cheap; and due to zero experience this advise is cheap too! ;<)
    I have all 3 snugpak products. I actually got all 3 for around $120 total (VT army navy black Friday and holiday sales). You're right that the cocoon is heavy. It's huge.

I use it in conjunction with another UQ and TQ. It basically takes my other snugpak products comfortablly down to about 20 degrees when used together.

I had problems with bad stitching and it ripping on my cocoon. There were areas on the sode, that the stitching was not connected together, and was just stitched to the insulation. VT army navy replaced it right away. The new cocoon does not have any stitching problems, and they have made a few changes between the first, and second cocoon that I got.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    I have a pee pod and it is awesome but look up Shug's videos and he has a diy pod using a sleeping bag that seems to work great for him.
    Yeah Zilla that's where I first got the itch. Like shug I spend alot of time in the back yard shelter sleeping out. Love the cold! Have plenty of sleeping bags to Frankenstein but all mine have the side zipper all the way down. Looks like I need to find a cheap with only a partial zipper to cut into. Here's a picture of my Hammock shelter20150609_181808.jpg

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Hammock shelter???? My head just exploded. Excellent!!!
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast