HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    The suggestions above are good.

Dump Coats and Clarke thread and get what they recommend at a good sewing machine store.

Sew as slow and as smoothly as you can go -- two layers of T shirt material to check it with moderate thread tension and foot pressure.

Replace the bobbin, needle and confirm the needle size and type, material, foot pressure and thread are compatible. Reset the foot.

Clean the fuzz out of the bobbin and dog compartments.

Give the whole thing a light lube job IAW the manual.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Fixya.com has more info and some different advice. According to their guy, he says bobbin should unwind COUNTER- clockwise. I have not used a Singer in years. And never on e like yours. So take my advice with a grain of salt..

I feel your frustration, been there before, take a break.

Ok, start by refering to your owners manual (hopefully you got one), and read it thoroughly, take each step one by one, maybe there is something your not doing quite right.
    Replace needle? Installed it correctly, (there is a right and wrong way).
    Replace thread with good quality thread?
    Needle and thread size are compatible?
    Read the manual, and properly threaded the machine?
    Thread machine and make adjustments ONLY with the needle in the highest position, this is also important when removing fabric from under foot.!! The needle and top swingarm should be up as high as they go before attempting to remove fabric. This position allows for the bobin to free spool and removal is easy. Advance machine by hand only pulling/rotating hand wheel towards you.
    Cleaned the machine, check for little pieces of thread caught inside bobbin case between bobbin tension plate, under foot plate, fuzz build up near upper tension discs. etc. (a small brush should be in your kit?) A can of compressed air is helpful to blast away fuzz. Just dont drive the fuzz deeper into your machine. A pipe cleaner works great for diggin down into those tight spots and pulling up the fuzz.

Did you check to see if your bobin drive shaft was loose? Your singer looks different than mine, but I'm ASSuming that the technology isnt that much different. If that gear isnt tight and snug to drive shaft it will skip a beat and do exactly what your machine showed on the video. That looks like the same problem I had a while ago. The bobbin race shuttles left and right during sewing and if that shaft/gear is loose it won't unwind properly, same as a car motor. Looks like you could access yours from inderneath or behind machine??

Bobbin tension is set right for new thread?
    Bobbin installed correctly? (wind a new bobbin, making sure you thread properly to bobbin during winding process, follow manuals instructions.)

Is machine running smooth? Making clunking noises? Or just spooling up thread? (you know the reason we call these topics threads now you should have a pile of it by now.)

Grab some scrap fabrics and start to sew SLOWLY, adjust tension if needed.

Expert repair shop may be in order if this wont fix it. Sewing machines are intricatelly timed, one little thing being bent or off a couple thousandths of an inch can really mess things up.
    In your video you were running the machine with no fabric in it, mine will not sew like that either.

Good luck and report back
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    TheseMight be helpful. You'll find more on youtube, if you havent seen them before.
    Last edited by gargoyle; 11-20-2009 at 05:20.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by riverkeeper View Post
    Sew as slow ...as you can go...
    A properly adjusted machine will perform the same at any speed.

- MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Thanks for the input everyone. I've performed most of the suggestions with no success (haven't checked the bobbin drive shaft but will soon gargoyle). I think if I can't figure this out in the next few days I'll probably take it to a shop. This machine was my mother's and to be honest I couldn't tell you when it was last serviced so a good once over is probably in order. Shouldn't cost me TOO much.... right?

Thanks
    Peace
    -Nate

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nsgrossman View Post
    Shouldn't cost me TOO much.... right?

Thanks
    Peace
    -Nate
    umm.. that's like saying an auto tune-up won't cost much. It will cost what it cosrs but probably less than buying a _comparable_ machine new.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    A properly adjusted machine will perform the same at any speed.

Yep, but sometimes my contraption will sew (after a fashion) at slow when it will not sew well at high speed. That is generally a hopeful sign and suggests, in my experience and on my modestly powered machine, the fix is not major and possibly related to at least one of the suggestions.

2 situations where I've encountered the dreaded bird's nest: using the Janome ZZ stitch and exceeding the common sense limit on tripled webbing (slower smoother speed fixed that) and too small needle and inappropriate eye with too thick thread.

Best!
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12