HH Safari Zip
    Tarp
    Sil Nylon Hex
    Insulation
    Ghetto UQ/Crappy T
    Suspension
    Built-in

Question Fire under tarp?

A while ago, some friends and I went to do some bushcraft/camping and the weather was slightly wet. In discussing techniques, someone with experience mentioned building the fire under a tarp... I believe he was referencing a small fire, but having put a few small holes in the sil nylon, this was a "no way" moment for me. I'm all for learning however...

So can anyone speak to success in putting a fire under a tarp without melting things or other issues?..

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I would never do that and I have to be a bit militant because my hiking partner says she likes a camp fire. All I see are little sparks floating toward my nylon. To compromise, I try to set up as far from the fire ring as possible. But if you want to try a small fire while out in the winter night (i.e. snow) here's an idea.... First - I'm not suggesting you do this under/near your tarp - but that's my phobia. Do and learn. So what i saw on YouTube videos is people using this material called Fire Cloth (or some variant of the name). You can buy it at harbor freight or similar stores. It's used in welding to protect objects around what is to be welded (think paint job on a car). Or used as a fire protector in the kitchen; throw it on the stove to smother a fire.

The blanket I bought was 6 x 8 ft and I had a seamstress cut it into four pieces and hem the edges so it wouldn't fray/unravel (loose weave). When I went to pick it up, she said she had trouble because she usually burns/melts the edges to seal them. But this blanket was, you know, fireproof.

So you can put that fireproof cloth down on the snow and built your fire (twigs/sticks/wood) on top of that.

I did see some videos where people had fashioned the cloth into sort of a stove-ish rectangle to hold the fire with a tunnel leading out of tarp for smoke exhaust.

If I were to experiment with this - it would not be with my nice, light (expensive) camping tarps. For me, it's just not worth the risk.

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Most of the fires I've seen under tarps on videos and bushcrafty sites seem to be made under heavier duty tarps than what we use to backpack with.
    If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.

Hammock
    6x12 1.6oz Hyper D
    Tarp
    DIY Membrane 9x9
    Suspension
    Straps + Evenk
    Images
    I've never seen anyone build a fire under a tarp. I've seen them build it close, and in front of the tarp. It's seems that as long as the fire wasn't full of super sappy woods (not throwing tons of sparks), and the wind was blowing away from the tarp, it should be ok.

I have seen candles used inside of a tarp or emergency blanket to replace a small "scout fire". I'll post up a video of this later when I'm around a computer. The idea is that it warms a very small area, add keeps you earn using minimal equipment.

So I guess it kind of depends on what your friend meant by "small fire", and "inside" the tarp.

I think I remember seeing a fire under a tarp in on of Shugs latest videos, I think it was the frozen butt one.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 11ft.
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    My own concoction
    I can surely understand why no one would dream of getting a fire anywhere near their $150 silnylon. But that's one of the advantages of using a $7 Harbor Freight blue tarp. Keep your fire small and close to the edge and you'll be fine. But if the worst happens and you spark a hole in it, throw it away and go get another one for the next trip. And they really aren't THAT much heavier.

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    Everyone's definition of a campfire is different. Some like to have their fires fed with 8ft long logs, others - with little twigs.
    I wouldn't try doing campfire under a tarp, but would definitely run backpacking stove (gas or alcohol or wood-burning) under the tarp in a bad weather. That's one of the advantages of a tarp - you don't have a floor.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    I have used my Solo Stove under both a silpoly and silnylon tarp. Only do it when it's raining and the tarp is angled to block both the wind and let the rain run off. As long as the wind blows away from the tarp I've never had a concern - the fire in the stove is so small and efficient that sparks never travel more than a few inches before self-extinguishing. Upper edge of the tarp would typically be ~ 5' high.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    walkabout fly
    Insulation
    OV 20 UQ or PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I won't put a fire under a nylon tarp. A duck or canvas might have a small fire under it, but certainly nothing large. A large coffee can, cut for venting and inverted on the ground, can be used to house a twig fire that will keep sparks to a minimum but provide a little heat in a baker type shelter.

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    I do place fires under my lightweight silnylon tarps when it's really ghastly out. I hang my tarp at a very low angle to maintain more cold water on the surface, select non spitting wood and keep it very small. Its very handy way to boost moral, warm after a cold afternoon and to dry out everything and cook in a shelter. That said I make my own tarps and quilts so worry less than most about damage
    Success doesn't come to you, you go to it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast