Water/windproofing PLUQ

I seem to be in a bit of a situation with my Deep Jungle HH. Turns out I cannot use the supershelter bottom section with my style of Hammock as the tie out flaps prevent a proper fit. My goal was to get usage in colder weather, just a few degrees more than I can with the bubble pad alone. Maybe 3C or 2C worst case . Blocking the wind would help quite a bit so an undercover would work for me. Also packs small. Possibly putting my down jacket (or some other clothing options) between this undercover and the bubblepad would also help with heat retention. This has been done before. The problem is that The HH Supershelter won't fit

So this got me thinking

I have a no sew PLUQ already which works fine and all but the bulk is kind of off putting.
    So I got to thinking on how I could best simulate what has already been tried by owners of the supershelter with my PLUQ.

So the questions:
    Would using tent weatherproofing spray on a PLUQ give it the rain and wind resistance of a typical undercover?
    Has anyone tried this?

Would it be possible to make a single layer PLUQ (for packing reasons) by re-creating the missing second layer out of say, a few articles of clothing
    and a down jacket? Would this result in similar heat retention properties as a double layer PLUQ?

I could also keep the second, cut out layer intact and use it as well if I wanted to. Or, cut this second layer up and resew in a location that follows the shape of my body in the hammock thereby reducing pack size at least a bit?

Thanks.

Hammock
    1.7SL WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20° TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Hooks
    What do you mean by tie-out flaps? I think you're talking about the tie-outs on the Hennessy hammocks. If so, read on. If not, please explain a little more...

I received some sage advice early on (thanks O&B) that those tie-outs on the Hennessy's are great for pictures, but don't add much to actually using the hammock. They interfere with getting bottom insulation properly fitted. I haven't used them since, and been very happy with the results. Maybe give your supershelter a try without tying out the sides of your hammock?

I talked to them again and the hammock will work with the SS bottom if the tie outs are not used. They mentioned that the double bottom with or without the bubble pad will cause an imperfect fit with the SS insulation pad which may create cold spots. I think they were just being cautious, not wanting to sell to a person who doesn't know how to "make things work".
    As far as using it as an undercover, no problems. As insulation goes, I was actually going to either put clothes between the layers or cut my PLUQ in half and use a single layer of poncho liner cut to shape. Something along those lines I'm not trying to reach sub zero temperatures or anything. Just get rid of the PLUQ bulk and add some wind and rain protection.

After looking at some install videos, I noticed there are holes in the undercover to facilitate the HH tie-out lines. I see how the Deep Jungle flaps would be an issue. I have an idea that may get around this, if for some reason sleeping without the tie-out lines is so bad I couldn't possibly handle it

I could put a grommet in the flap close to the hammock. Then run the tie out line under and through the new grommet. This will roll the flap out of the way with the tie out line
    Coming basically right out from the edge of the hammock similar to the other models. The only possible effect being the folded over flaps pushing the tie out line holes in the undercover open slightly by pushing out a bit.

• + New Posts