DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies

GA > Appalachian Trail > end of May

I am starting to plan our summer vacation/hike. We are thinking Appalachian Trail starting with the approach trail. Not sure how many miles we will get in. Most likely 4-6 days of hiking so we most likely won't make it to the NC border. Most likely we will be the last week of May. Possible first week of June.

What temperatures should we expect. I searched Amicalola Falls State Park monthly averages. It looks like we should expect highs of around 80 and lows around 55-60. Is that a good temperature range for the trail. I know the temperatures can vary depending on elevation and terrain. I didn't know what other town or area to search for an average monthly temp.

Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 + Sniveler
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I don't trust any temperature forecast more than 3-4 days out, let alone months. But check Suches, GA for another point.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by skater View Post
    I don't trust any temperature forecast more than 3-4 days out, let alone months. But check Suches, GA for another point.
    Thanks.

This was average monthly high lows. Just trying to figure out what gear we would bring.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Those averages sound about right. That time of year I'm rocking my 40* setup and maybe a mid-weight base layer shirt just in case the morning is a bit cool. Definitely need a bugnet.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    Those averages sound about right. That time of year I'm rocking my 40* setup and maybe a mid-weight base layer shirt just in case the morning is a bit cool. Definitely need a bugnet.
    Thanks for the reply.

I was leaning the same way. 40° gear. Fleece pullover for cold mornings or if we get cold and wet from a thundershower.

Anything else I need to plan for. I remember reading about a bear canister required area if you sleep there. We will want to plan around that hopefully.

How are the crowds then. I know the big herd starts March-April but even in late May I would think there will be quite a few hikers out.

Average high/low for June, source = Appalachian Trip Thru-Hike Planner, ISBN 978-1-889386-51-5 Blairsville, GA
    83/57
    clingmans dome, TN 63/49
    Hot Springs, NC 85/61
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I love that time of year because its not quite the hottest of summer yet, but still mild. I would say plan for just below that average with potential lows into the high 40s. You'll probably go to bed each night at 60 or so, but be sure to bring something to combat wind, or else you'll swear its in the 40s.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Not sure about the bear canister, I tend to avoid the AT like the plague. Expect it to be quite crowded (the reason I avoid it). If you want some solitude check out the BMT. It starts on Springer with the AT and then they kinda figure 8 each other a couple times before splitting off for good. So you could take the BMT after the approach trail and get some peace and quiet, then jump on the AT when they part ways, or at any of their intersections, for the rest of your trip.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Kavelar/dynema
    After June 1st no bear canister required. If you go before then you will need a bear canister only if you plan to stay on blood mountain. There is a site just south of Blood then it's 10 miles to neels gap.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Life Scout View Post
    After June 1st no bear canister required. If you go before then you will need a bear canister only if you plan to stay on blood mountain. There is a site just south of Blood then it's 10 miles to neels gap.
    Cool. Thanks LS.

I don't mind a little crowd. Most of the places we hike we don't see many other hikers. My kids enjoyed talking with the hikers when we hiked Mahoosuc Notch last summer. Gives them some culture.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast