diy 12 footer
    Tarp
    did winter tarp
    Insulation
    Costco double spec
    Suspension
    single line

planning a 3 generation AT short hike

My (Peter pan) father has decided he wants my son and I to hike a section of the AT (for a week or perhaps two). I was wondering if there are any good spots with 3 to 5 miles apart per day. We want to do this as almost ultralight. My father is ex-special forces but now diabetic and multiple bypass person, my son is 11 and is the usual anti parent kind. For my self i could go for anything. We are looking to go early summer (end of may thru july).

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Edge w/doors
    Insulation
    UQ:CS 5 TQ:CS 7.5
    Suspension
    Webbing, buckles
    Any thoughts on which part of the AT looks appealing to you? Personally, for the distances you are thinking about I would not consider the GSMNP. Too many rules and regs about where you can camp. I like this site http://www.wikitrail.org/trails/view...alachian-trail for route planning. The biggest obstacle I see with your plan is where to find water. With the distances you want to cover, most of the shelters will be too far apart just about anywhere you might go. Also what are your transportation plans? It will take a bit of planning to find suitable drop-off and pick-up points. If you can fill us in on some of your preliminary planning, others can help you with some of the specific details.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, DUTCHWARE, ETC...
    Tarp
    HG WP/Standard
    Insulation
    HG INCUBATOR/PHOEN
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Cinch
    There are so many options here, I'm not even sure what to say. Perhaps you could purchase AWOL's AT guide for a start. That guide should provide you with all of the information you need to plan your trip.

Hammock
    diy 12 footer
    Tarp
    did winter tarp
    Insulation
    Costco double spec
    Suspension
    single line
    We are waiting for our copy. I am also concerned about my father's safety. And thirdly my son's sanity. I am good I could walk months with no problem but my son being AD HD and an athlete and my father's health,

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Edge w/doors
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Webbing, buckles
    Well if you are really worried about your father, then you will need to plan very carefully. There are not a lot of flat sections of the AT. Looking at your location, I-64 to Waynesboro, VA and picking up the AT going north might fit your bill. That section of the AT follows Skyline Dr for most of the way through the Shenandoah National Park. That section follows the ridge line more that most.

But all of this is dependent on how far are you willing to travel to get to the AT.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, DUTCHWARE, ETC...
    Tarp
    HG WP/Standard
    Insulation
    HG INCUBATOR/PHOEN
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofemur View Post
    Well if you are really worried about your father, then you will need to plan very carefully. There are not a lot of flat sections of the AT. Looking at your location, I-64 to Waynesboro, VA and picking up the AT going north might fit your bill. That section of the AT follows Skyline Dr for most of the way through the Shenandoah National Park. That section follows the ridge line more that most.

But all of this is dependent on how far are you willing to travel to get to the AT.
    Yeah, I'm also betting that this will be the best area for you. That said, if your father's health is a concern, I'm not sure that a week or more anywhere on the AT would be in his best interest.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Yep, Shenandoah National Park is a great option for you. Normally takes about a week for normal backpackers to hike, but at your daily mileage it would take at least a couple of weeks to do the entire thing. Easy to pick shorter sections. Not too far from you compared to other AT states.

The SNP does have some rules about where you can camp, but I found it easy enough to work with those, especially considering all the campground and wayside opportunities. Lots of food/restaurant options too. Plus, easy road access in case of needing to bail out.

The trail generally and footpath itself are about as easy as it gets on the AT.

Just about perfect?
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Edge w/doors
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Webbing, buckles
    And if you do decide to hike in the SNP, you can do a modified day hiking/car camping experence as well. If you have not done Skyline Drive and/or Blue Ridge Parkway, both of those are offer wonderful experences. The one thing I would not think that you would want to plan is being droped off at one point and have to do a forced march to get to the pick-up point.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Plus, Shenandoah National Park has good ranger support if you do have an issue and need help. Cell service is spotty (maybe 65% available), but the Skyland Drive road is usually close by. I'd plan to go prior to mid June - it can get quite hot/humid after that.
    If you decide on SNP, let me know and if I can I'd be glad to help you shuffle cars - besides, I'd enjoy meeting Jack (I live close to Rt 211/AT).
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Look into hiking the Georgia section of the AT. You can stay at the Hikers Hostel and they will take you to Point A and pick you up at Point B and take you back to hostel and next AM they take you back to Point B and you hike to Point C . repeat.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast