Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Kavelar/dynema
    I got the monogram and the button hole plate but no cams to go with it.

Insulation
    Costco Quilts
    Do you have a picture? Some of the Kenmores have a plate that reverses...slot on one end and single hole on the other.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Kavelar/dynema
    I'll have to check that out when get home. Thanks for the heads up.

Hammock
    DIY TierGear Netless
    Tarp
    DIY canvas 20by20
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Webbing
    I have destroyed sewing machines as well. I even killed a strong steel framed Husqvarna that I bought for my mother in the 1970s. If you have destroyed two machines then this will likely continue.
    Among other machines I now have a Sailrite Ultrafeed LS1 straight stitcher, designed in the USA. It is about the size of a domestic machine but weighs more than about 40 lbs. I imported this little machine from the USA at great expense because it will sew as many layers as you can get under the foot. The UltraLite is a drop feed walking foot machine, ideal for DIY sewing of sailcloth, webbing and heavy canvas. No worries sewing 4 or more layers of 15 oz canvas. You can sew up 15 oz canvas hammocks with 4 ton webbing with this machine if you want. It will also sew light nylon and cotton fabric without scrunching it.
    Dealing with Sailrite is an enjoyable experience, I like to hand over my money to em as I like to support business folks doing a good job. I would go for a new or second hand Sailrite Ultrafeed LS1.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Kavelar/dynema
    Got the new very old kenmore running tonight. I had to figure out what did what with no manual. Works great once I figured it out. I changed the foot and got the zigzag feature to work. Getting the foot pressure and stitch length right was cool and finicky. Speed control will be fun to get used to. There is no high speed limit on the pedal. Just like a gas pedal in a car the more you press it the faster it goes. It's real soft and sensitive as well. New machines stop sewing fast when you lift off the pedal this machine slows to a stop which could take a while depending on how fast your going. It's going to take some practice to get used to it, but that's part of the fun, learning the skill.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Kavelar/dynema
    2 weeks in update.

1977 Kenmore machine has been performing great. I have figured out most of its features and its very stable and smooth. I'm really enjoying learning how to adjust and fine tune on the fly with this machine. I finished a bridge hammock for a friend last week, did some repair work on a tarp and patched up a backpack I made years ago. It has been a great purchase so far.

Hammock
    DIY DL 10.5' gathered with net
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images
    Good to hear you're getting along with the injector now! Once you get them dialed in and learn their quirks and limitations, and unless something major goes awry, I've found the older machines are just like the old Timex wrist watch commercials--they just keep on ticking!

Late to the party but I always like to put in a plug for the old Kenmores, don't know that model but most of them are tanks. Certainly not as robust as some of the industrial machines mentioned but for about $50-70 each (maybe for machine and accessories that need to be found as in your case this time), you could go through quite a few before reaching big money and my guess is you would have a hard time breaking that many of these things.

eBay is a great place to get parts for them.

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    eBay is a great place to get parts for them.
    Yes, it is. I got another Singer (a 206D this time) for 1 Euro only. It was described as "old sewing machine" in good condition and I knew at once what the owner sold. He didn't.

It can be very worthwhile to know all or some of these good old machines and to find out how easy it is to repair them. $50-70 is imo much to expensive. There are still better machines on the market for not more than $10 only (including shipping!!!).

You need no money, only a bit time is required.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345