Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Life Scout View Post
    For the heck of it I went to the local thrift store and picked up a 1977 sears kenmore 158.18033 for $5. Needs a pedal/plug assembly found it for $40 online.
    Good luck. I envy your Kenmore and would like to service it. She is similar than my Phoenix machine, but yours has still metal selection wheels outside. When I started here in this forum I saw a lot of fancy Kenmore machines and knew very soon that there is no chance for me to buy something similar in Germany. Now I know a lot of good sewing machines but the Kenmore world is still inaccessible for me. If I were you I would most likely collect a lot of old Kenmore machines, learn to service and refurbish them and then try to sell them completely overhauled for much money on Ebay. The best machines I would not sell again. It's not because of the money you can earn. It's the knowledge which brings the crucial benefit. When I repaired this Singer 6105 for example I learnt a lot of new things which opened my eyes and I can use this knowledge also for my other machines or for improvement of my further desicions.

Btw: $40 was imo a bit expensive. There are better ways to get such a pedal/plug assembly cheap.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Life Scout View Post
    Does the 23 stitch have the serger option.
    To be clear... only a serger has serger capabilities. A serger is a specialized sewing machine but completely unlike a normal machine, properly called a lock stitch machine. A serger uses upwards of three needles and spools... more commonly 4-5 but I've heard tell of overcast machines with as many as 8. You won't find serger capabilities on an lock stitch machine and you won't find simple lock stitch capabilities on a serger. The tech is just simply not compatible.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    If you are looking for new industrial but desktop sailrite make some awesome machines

http://www.sailrite.com/Sailrite-Sewing-Machines#
    Tacblades

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl_hanger View Post
    Perhaps I get one for below 25€ next week.
    I got one (a Meister 110) for 24€ today (incl. motor and foot pedal). Don't need them but I know that I can sell them completely overhauled for about 75€ or even much more. If I like them I sell one of my other machines again. Same procedure will happen with the 12.5€ Singer 216 I get on Thursday. Then I know whether a Singer 216 can compete with my Meister ZZ. But I can use also the motor of the Singer 6105 on the Singer 216 (or the motor and foot pedal of the Meister 110 on the Meister ZZ). Both are black and I paid absolutely nothing for the whole machine, this means that I never would spend $40 for the foot pedal of a sewing machine.
    Last edited by xxl_hanger; 02-02-2016 at 13:57.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    Hi Jason,
    I have a Universal. It is WW2 vintage and made in Japan. An imitation of an early Singer model 15-91 with a new higher horsepower motor.
    http://sewing-machines.blogspot.com/...s-and-60s.html
    They tell me that installing a driven pulley off a treadle machine will slow down the action plus raise power even more. I haven't found one yet.

It is indestructible and will sew six ply of denim. I haven't sewn any real fine material 1.1 nylon works fine. [I] use the largest needle I can.
    I got it off of ebay for around 150 with freight.
    grinder

Insulation
    Costco Quilts
    I just picked up a 1971-72 Kenmore 158.17560 machine at a thrift store for $14 and change. I checked that it worked but I missed that it was missing the bobbin race assembly! While I was able to find that on Ebay for $21 I am bummed it tripled the cost of the machine nearly! The machine runs great (haven't sewed yet, waiting for race parts) and has a cool inter-changeable cam that would allow fancy stitches. It weighs quite a bit because it's all metal. The biggest problem I have is that we already have 4 machines in the house...I didn't need this one and only bought it because it was so cheap!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Kavelar/dynema
    I found a power cord/pedal assembly for $20 for my Kenmore 158.18033. Plugged it in and it works great. I just noticed the bobbin case was missing. I'll see if Jo Ann fabrics has one tomorrow.

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    New Bobbin cases, standard metal bobbins and also high-shank presser foot holders (for standard snap-on presser feet) are very cheap on Ebay USA. I bought in USA because it was much to expensiv in Germany. Including shipping cross-country by airplane and over the atlantic it was much cheaper than in Germany.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Kavelar/dynema
    I also need a wide opening pin plate for wide stitch. The machine only had the narrow hole plate. This might take a little research to find one at a good price.

Insulation
    Costco Quilts
    Most machines can do zig-zag which would give you the wide plate, right? The more I look into this old kenmore the more impressed I am. While it only does basic stitches by itself there are 30 different stitch pattern cams you can get, plus monogramming etc...it's pretty crazy.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast