Thread: RRG KY, 1-30-16

RRG KY, 1-30-16

Got out this weekend for a 2 day hike in the gorge, the weather was forecast to be unseasonably warm, so this time we brought our youngest daughter along.

We planned to start at the Sheltowee bridge, and take the rough trail up to Hansons point. Depending on the time, we could camp there or continue on to another spot- at Footwash basin, or perhaps Rush ridge.

Camp was red dot, on rush ridge.

The start, on the bridge. This is a cool bridge, the missing/broken boards sure add to the fun!

Looky what we saw on the first ridge, several days old they seem, but there were 7-8 tracks total. If they aren't bear, then someone had a kid in bear foot slippers out there lol

Things got WET down along Chimney top creek. I was surprised at how much snow was still around. There was 8-10" in spots.

I had no pictures of the creek crossings, Although a couple of hikers did apparently take video/pics of me crossing on a tree. I noticed their onlooking when I was halfway across a 30ft crossing, about 5 feet above the creek. Lucky me I didn't fall. We found a spot a few hundred feet downstream that was OK for keeping feet somewhat dry.

After getting water at the last crossing, we headed up to the ridge for the night. By now, the sun was high, and there was a very odd mix of cool air from the snow, and downright warm breezes swirling about. Perfect hiking!

We started to see ALOT of hikers, due to the nice weather. We saw a group camped on Hansons point ridge, and although the last 2 good camp areas we open, decided against staying there. We did go out to the point for a view. Saw a couple there, who asked me to take pictures of them.. Apparently they had just got engaged on the point. (This would be the first of 2 times we were asked to take pictures of people on this trip!!)

It was 4pm by the time we exited the pinetree exfoliation that is Hansons point ridge, and we planned to hustle down Pinch-em Tight, to Rush ridge, and stay at a spot we knew would work well for us. The hike down this section was fairly flat and quick going. We did run into a few hikers who asked about our packs, specifically my Circuit. One had a very old ULA pack, and was interested in a newer one. He asked about weight, guessing 40-45lbs. They were surprised to hear even with 4L's of water and food for 3 my pack was barely 32-34lbs. That felt nice! We rushed on the camp, and I sat things up while my wife started food.

My wife+I's WL night owls, and her new dutch sock. Unfortunately the low was to be in the 40's, so we were overly warm the whole night.

Heres how I rigged the spreader bars, using prusik knots. Seemed to work fine, I had no complaints of the spreader setup.

I did not have a very good sleep. Although I thought I had a good hang from the looks, I had very little/no "footbox", meaning my feet would fall out. Luckily I was tired from the days hike, I managed with side sleeping mainly. My sleep was also compromised by a certain spouse who decided to watch a movie about a couple hikers who got eaten by a bear the day before. I was awoken 3-4 times during the night due to strange noises that needed my attention..

After a quick breakfast, we loaded up and headed back out. The terrain on this short section of the rough trail is great.

More cool air and snow!

The cool footbridge at Footwash basin was taken out by floods, Still cross-able, but tricky in the icy conditions. Luckily the other bridge was intact.

We lugged back up to the ridge, shedding our light morning layers along the way, and were welcomed by warm sun and great views again. I was back to hiking in a T-shirt at this point, the weather sure was nice for January.

We backtracked the Sheltowee, and plunged through the creek crossings with less regard to wet feet, knowing the car was a few miles away. We saw more and more people as we approached the parking lot, I would guess 40-50 ppl total over the 2 days! All in all, a fun trip!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Wow what a great trip and write-up. How did your daughter enjoy it? Great weather and the snow is beautiful. I had thoughts of the gorge this weekend but only got out for a day hike.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

She did really well, to our surprise. She wants to go again atleast. I was worried she would get scared in the hammock, but she slept well. We were also worried about her carrying a pack (15-16lbs) all that way, but she did great with very little complaining. She wanted to lead most of the way, and kept a great pace even at the end of the day. I guess I'm just old!

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Thumbs up for a family outing...
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Nice trip and images. Thanks for sharing. I long for my Old Kentucky Home.

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    great write up and pics! glad to hear the prusik know worked to keep the spreader in place; that's a simple solution I hadn't thought of.

a popular solution for creating a foot box for gathered end hammocks is the knotty mod, which you may or may not be familiar with; but my favorite solution is a different whipping/gathering technique where you pull the sides of the hammock tighter than the rest. 2"-3" on each end does the trick. sewing a piece of ribbon right at 2"-3" and tying the whipping string below it works very nicely.

that way, both your feet and head have a 'wall' so to speak, to rest on and most importantly, keep things from falling out.
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by ShellHammock View Post
    great write up and pics!
    Thanks - Our hammocks do have the knottys on them, I just had so much crease that my feet did not want to stay very well. Its aggravating, everytime I set these up at home, I have no issues. Seems like when we go backpacking, I always have trouble with the setup. I thought I had them hung spot on, the ridgelines were a little tight, but the angles seemed ok to me. I had shortened my ridgeline to match my wifes hammock length closer, to make using the spreaders a little easier/neater. That must be what goofed up the lay. I didn't notice it with a quick test at home.

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by binfordw View Post
    Thanks - Our hammocks do have the knottys on them, I just had so much crease that my feet did not want to stay very well. Its aggravating, everytime I set these up at home, I have no issues. Seems like when we go backpacking, I always have trouble with the setup. I thought I had them hung spot on, the ridgelines were a little tight, but the angles seemed ok to me. I had shortened my ridgeline to match my wifes hammock length closer, to make using the spreaders a little easier/neater. That must be what goofed up the lay. I didn't notice it with a quick test at home.
    interesting. I bet a lot of people assume a knotty mod is able to keep ones feet from falling out but it's important to remember that it's only a bit of shock cord and a cord lock, designed to stretch when stressed.

you should try the whipping technique. it's an easy modification that really gives the feel of true edges on a hammock.
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Images
    Hi Binfordw, I don't want to derail your trip report which is fantastic by the way.
    But many have reported if your RL is too short your feet wanting to fall out has been one of the side effects. Go longer and see if that helps.
    Thanks again for sharing your pictures.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 02-02-2016 at 17:18.

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hi Binfordw, I don't want to derail your trip report which is fantastic by the way.
    But many have reported if your RL is too short feeting wanting to fall out has been one of the side effects. Go longer and see if that helps.
    Thanks again for sharing your pictures.

Sounds spot on what happened. I shortened my RL like a goober to match length with my wifes, just for sake of neatness using the spreaders mainly. I'll be readjusting my RL before our smokies trip in 2 weeks for sure!

• + New Posts