Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Campalot View Post
    Just purchased a bag outdoor vitals summit . It's a 20 degree bag with 800 fill and is 2lb 4oz for $134 on Amazon. I'm about 6'4" and 250 and it would be a little small for me to zip up but my intention is to use as a topquilt . Also $134 no tax no shipping .
    Lovely! Congratulations on the good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouBeard View Post
    Campalot...sounds like a good deal. I hope it works it out for you. Would like to get an update once you've had a chance to take it out into the field.

I actually just purchased the Marmot Trestles 15°F bag online for $85 with no tax and free 2 day shipping (www.backcountry.com).
    Sounds like a better deal than initial

Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    AHE / Marmot
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Pennsy Camp....so glad to hear you like the Trestles. It helps me to validate my purchase...lol. Your review is consistent with everything I've read about the bag, which is what peaked my interest in it. Having the opportunity to check it out in store and compare it to some much more expensive bags helped as well.

Your comment on down not doing so well in wet conditions is exactly what made me second guess the Kelty bag. I live in North Alabama and the humidity in the summer time can get pretty bad as well. Usually we schedule camping trips well in advance and stick to that day come rain, shine, sleet, or snow. So having a bag that would perform in wet conditions was a must.

I've also read that since down compresses so well, it offers little to no insulation while under your body weight in a hammock. I'm not saying that with synthetic I'll be able to go without proper bottom insulation, but that the synthetic material might help to bolster what bottom insulation I do have.

BrRabbit...I'm extremely happy with the price paid for the bag given all the great reviews I've read. Still have to test it out for myself, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Hammock
    Byer Moskito Kakoon
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex 12
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouBeard View Post
    I'll be backpacking all my gear in. I don't car camp that much, if any at all. I'm fine with a 3lb bag if the price is right. .
    I have a 3 lb 8 oz F&S 40* bag that I bought when I was invited to a last minute backpacking outing a couple years back. Paid <$50 for it. I know you say that you're fine with a 3lb bag if the price is right, but I'll tell ya, after lugging that thing for the last 5 years, I'm ready for something smaller - both in weight and compression.

Go with something smaller, or, if you're going to be in Hammocks, consider the Topquilt route.

Just my 2 cents - but in everything, gear selection is absolutely a Hike Your Own Hike type of thing. Most important is to get out there and enjoy life!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BackpackingDude View Post
    but I'll tell ya, after lugging that thing for the last 5 years, I'm ready for something smaller - both in weight and compression.
    I was there too. It wasn't so much the weight, but the bulk. A top quilt compresses/stuff SO much smaller. The weight reduction was just icing on the cake.

I still have my sleeping bags since I paid good money for them, but they've been sitting in a closet unused for years...so maybe I should finally get rid of them.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Yeah I think if i was going to spend over $100 on a synthetic bag I would just save my money and save up a little more for a down bag. Definitely worth the extra dollars and your knees and pack space will thank you when you're on the trail

Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    AHE / Marmot
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Ok...total newb question as I've never ordered a sleeping bag online before. I received the Marmot Trestles 15 from backcountry.com today. I opened the box to remove the bag from the compression sack, only to find it loosely packed in a clear plastic bag. Is this normally how they are sold/shipped? The same sleeping bag at my local Cabelas was in the stuff sack on the shelf, as well as every other brand of sleeping bag. I know that you're not supposed to leave them compressed for extended periods. I'm kinda confused and am wondering if they sold me a display model.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12