Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UrsaMajor1887 View Post
    I have never got wet in my Half-Wit with my Hammock Gear Standard.
    I did get wet with my Hammock Gear standard, more than once. A lot of people say "pitch the tarp low" when it's blowing, but I couldn't go any lower without ending up on the ground. I traded in my HG Standard for a Winter Palace and haven't gotten wet since.

In my opinion, an underquilt protector is a pretty heavy way to overcome a skimpy tarp. A ripstop UQP from 2QZQ would weigh the same (6.5 ounces) as the HG Standard CF tarp. You can go lighter with Argon (5.6 oz.) but I'd rather just have a 4-season tarp with doors like the Superfly or the HG Winter Palace.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Another option for a smaller tarp is a 2QZQ Grizbeak. Basicly optional doors for when you think there migh be blowing rain.
    Note the added coverage or room you get with one in this example.
    This tarp is an OES delux and as small as I would ever use. Anything smaller would bug the crap out of me the entire trip.

Hammock
    3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Windy rain conditions suck with an asym tarp. I survived many a rainy trip with an asym tarp but it was the windy conditions that made me wish I had a bigger tarp.
    "Courage Grows Strong at a Wound" - Stewart Clan Motto

I've just switched to a hex tarp after spending a very windy night with temps dropping to the freezing level under an asym tarp. I stayed dry, but oh my, the windchill was fierce …
    I'd definitely go with doors on a tarp if I was going to do any amount of winter hanging …

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Multicam
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, DIY APEX
    Suspension
    Dutch Clip, Hook
    I have always used a winter tarp and every time I think about going to a hex or an asym to save weight and money, I’ll have a brush with wind or rain and I am glad to have the coverage. Yes, it weighs a bit more but wet gear is heavy also and uncomfortable. It could lead to a cold, wet and miserable hike out with heavy wet gear as well.
    If I can only have one tarp it would definitely be a winter, bigger is better (IMHO), but I may still get (or rather make) an asym for use on only short “guarantied” fair weather trips.
    Diz*

"adapt, improvise, overcome" Clint Eastwood - Heart brake ridge

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have seen campers get wet with a big tarp that was improperly pitched.
    Tarping is an art and it is all in the pitch for the conditions. Whatever tarp you get.....practice pitching it. High, low, steep, porch, spread, buttoned and hunkered.
    Shug
    Tarp Intel.....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...r4JzQgQ_iyB2RU
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You can get by with something very small, but there will be definite trade-offs. Think carefully, and practice close to home.

I have an asym tarp that came with a Hennessy Hammock years ago, that I've never used. I will probably never use it in the future, either, except maybe on a day hike or overnight or I might expect light, gentle rain without wind.

I watched Rigidpsycho spend a night of heavy rain underneath a grand trunk All Terrain hybrid shelter once. This is basically a waterproof hammock, and is about 6 feet wide by 10.5 feet long. He pitched it A-frame style and very low to the ground. He brought the corners inward , like doors. His hammock was strung very tightly, and he was only inches off the ground. Now, this was in a heavily wooded area that was fairly protected from wind. He had to crawl inside , and there was no room to move and no room to store any gear. He said he was fine, and would probably camp like that again, but that setup would have made me feel very claustrophobic.

Back when I was sleeping in tents. I had a very small dome tent that had to be completely buttoned up in any rain. I spent a whole day and night inside that tent once, and swore I'd never do that again. It was the catalyst for making me go to a hammock.

So, the choice is very personal. You just have to assess your camping style, and list the pros and cons of that type of shelter, and decide weather the risk is worth the benefit. A few nights of personal experience in adverse weather conditions near your home would probably help your decision as well.

Hope this helps!
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Another idea is that you can always take drop cloth or poly tarp material and make a tarp very cheaply. You can make it into the shape and size you're thinking of, and try it out. It won't last long, but it will give you an idea of whether this is the route you want to go.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

I've never tried this. But I guess I will get good suggestion from this thread.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12